Sponsored by:

Coolant Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 11:35 AM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Coolant Issue

Well, I had my first two incidents with my 6GT3 at the Glen a few days ago. First, a little over-steer (driver error) into T8 and the back end got loose -- Both feet in and managed to stay on the track. I do have the video. Damage to front splitter, but able to re-fasten so all was good. Took my student out next session and car was fine.

Second day, on my first session I noticed temp starting to move up quickly and the warning light around T8 so I slowed down and temp keep going up. At this point smoke coming out of the rear, so I puled off line and headed into the pits. Pulled into garage with the car still smoking and of course no coolant left in, and coolant sprayed all over the place. Amazing I did not get a drop of coolant on my tires -- in the big scheme I guess I was really lucky.

Engine was fine off the track and I don't believe there was any damage -- I hope. Maybe the spin and hitting the curbing caused a line to get loose or after around 100 track days it decided to give up?

I did see the leak was on the right side, but was not able to put the car on jack stands to get a good view.

No problems loading car on trailer and unloaded at shop for repair.

So, what do you think is the best case and worse case and how much it will cost me to get fixed?
Old 07-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Could be anything from a split hose to loose coolant hose fittings. If you want worse case the loss of coolant caused a head gasket to fail, even a head to crack, make that the block. Had enough of the worse case?

No one can do anything other than guess. Get the car to a qualified shop for a proper diagnosis. The odds are it is nothing more than a failed hose but a coolant hose fitting is likely. IIRC that's an engine out job to weld these in place.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:49 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

U probably need to replace waterpump if all the coolant puked out- mine did. Never spun as well a rt side press fitting by ac popped out on mine. Had press fitting pinned trackside but no cigar my waterpump was leaking bigtime when filled with water/water wetter. U don't want to hear worst case scenario- get a shop to look/inspect. If u want piece of mine for the future get all hoses replaced and press fittings welded/pinned and if want to be sure about motor get a compression and leakdown test- not much dollars to do it. Mike
Old 07-28-2013, 01:47 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

You are correct, I probably don't want the worse case. It least it is at a qualified shop I trust. I just will not find out until they get a chance to look at it later this week. I am hoping for loose coolant host fittings.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by rodneyr
You are correct, I probably don't want the worse case. It least it is at a qualified shop I trust. I just will not find out until they get a chance to look at it later this week. I am hoping for loose coolant host fittings.
Relax. Many of these cars have gone through this with no harm other than a big dent in the owner's wallet to have the hose fittings fixed. A bit painful but not the end of the world.

Get the cause of the coolant leak id'd. Then fixed.

Afterwards, only if the engine exhibits any other untoward behavior -- and my guess is it won't -- then worry about what it all means.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:18 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Those press fit couplings push loose and sometime don't come all the way out. If you know where they are, you can spot the failure pretty quickly with a flashlight. My bet would be on a press fit coupler....
Old 07-28-2013, 02:22 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You are a brave man continuing to drive in, albeit at a slow pace, with a smoking rear and temp warning lights.

Hopefully, you have avoided Macster's abbreviated worst case scenario and all the smoke from the rear was just the coolant burning off all the hot engine parts.

Rubber hoses and glued in fittings... geez... this is your chance to fix her up right with the engine out!

Almost couldn't finish my post because of Mike's avatar.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:46 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

After mine blew a fitting on track I was concerned about coolant in the oil or excessive wear caused by high temps. I have changed the oil 3 times since and had Blackstone Labs perform an oil analysis each time. All have come back fine with no sign of coolant or excessive wear metals.

Peter
Old 07-29-2013, 09:18 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Well, I got the answer. It was basically "just" a coolant line that let go. Engine is fine.. The idea is the line could be glued in again, but that might not solve the problem. As we all know the glue from the factory is problematic especially for people that track the car. For a proper repair, engine out and weld the lines... ouch... While they are taking care of those items replace other lines and water pump as preventive maintenance. So, for me big $$$$, but it could have been much worse if I spun in my coolant and hit the blue Armco at the Glen. At least I got around 100 track days without any mechanical issues since 2005.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:23 PM
Speeds5
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 87 Posts

Glad the engine is fine and nothing more to it. Please do file a report with NHTSA. Porsche needs to rectify the problem and make folks whole for their expensive repair bills.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:49 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad all is well.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:12 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by rodneyr
Well, I got the answer. It was basically "just" a coolant line that let go. Engine is fine.. The idea is the line could be glued in again, but that might not solve the problem. As we all know the glue from the factory is problematic especially for people that track the car. For a proper repair, engine out and weld the lines... ouch... While they are taking care of those items replace other lines and water pump as preventive maintenance. So, for me big $$$$, but it could have been much worse if I spun in my coolant and hit the blue Armco at the Glen. At least I got around 100 track days without any mechanical issues since 2005.
Have them check any rubber hoses if engine is dropped ie mite as well replace the old rubber hoses off the intake manifold. Mike
Old 07-30-2013, 08:09 AM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Speeds5 - Please send me the details to file a report with NHTSA. If you already have a template that would be great.

Mike - You are spot on. Intake manifold is one of the additional hoses that will be replaced.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:05 AM
Speeds5
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 87 Posts

Lots of info in the sticky about this
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...res-nhtsa.html

Submitting the complaint
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml
Old 07-30-2013, 10:09 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts