Sponsored by:

Tires for street(mostly) 6gt3

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 06:06 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
MPSS rears in 285/35/18 would be a 'no go' for the street? I currently have 315/30/18 NT01's on my track (BBS) wheels there so I'm assuming some flexibility around the OEM 295/30/18 should not be a problem. Was looking to put MPSS's on my street (OEM) wheels so wondering of someone here has done it.
Guys, so what's the verdict on the 285/35/18 rear MPSS tires on OEM wheels for street driving (not a DD, weekend country roads, mostly dry, no winters)? Anyone put MPSS on their 6GT3? If not, what's the next best alternative (besides the PS2's)? Are AD08s closer to NT-01s or PS2 or, say, Sumitomo's in feel/grip/noise for the street?

It would also help if the street tires softened my car a bit, so softer sidewalls wouldn't hurt. (Currently have Motons with 600/800lbs springs).

For the track. I plan to continue with NT-01s which I love, unless someone has a ringing endorsement to try an alternative (AD08, R888,...?).

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2014, 06:58 PM
MSTACH
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

For track I will recommend Hohoos R6 or A6, but that's is just my feeling :-)

For street I have Sumitomo Hrz something for last 3 years, for the cost $ I like them .
Old 03-22-2014, 07:10 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MSTACH
For track I will recommend Hohoos R6 or A6, but that's is just my feeling :-)
Thx, but I was planning to soften things up a bit this season so track tire should also be able to drive to/from track on occasion or if I decide to get rid of the Trailex altogether (Trailering is sometimes pain in the a** ).

For street I have Sumitomo Hrz something for last 3 years, for the cost $ I like them .
I had the Sumitomos for the street wheels on my Boxster. They were OK, but loved the MPSS much more. No doubt I would also get the MPSS for the street for my 6GT3 if they had the rears that fit.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:50 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like AD08R is now available in 295/30/18

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....N+Neova+AD08+R
Old 03-22-2014, 08:18 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cfjan
Looks like AD08R is now available in 295/30/18

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....N+Neova+AD08+R
Thx. I saw that too.
Some have complained they are too loud for (mostly) street wheels.
How do they compare to NT-01s for track wheels (grip, wear)?
What's the diff vs the old (non-R) AD08s?
Old 03-22-2014, 08:51 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I have not tried the "R" version yet. But AD-08 (old) is workable as a track tire. It is not quite as grippy as NT-01. Also not as loud as the Nitto!
Old 03-22-2014, 10:35 PM
MSTACH
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Driving to the track? No problem just ask Mark he drove on hoosier slick r100/R80 to the Glen (4 hours)
Old 03-23-2014, 12:41 PM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

to hf1

The MPSS 285 are fine for the GT3 with stock wheels.
No ABS issues on track, but then I don't activate the ABS.
I'm pleased with them as my wets.
I had them shaved to 8/32" (stock is 10/32) to avoid potentially overheating the tread.
Probably would be better if they were wider, at least in the dry.
These also work very well in the dry.

IMO better than the MPS2

and they'e made in the US.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:03 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dave-C2
to hf1

The MPSS 285 are fine for the GT3 with stock wheels.
No ABS issues on track, but then I don't activate the ABS.
I'm pleased with them as my wets.
I had them shaved to 8/32" (stock is 10/32) to avoid potentially overheating the tread.
Probably would be better if they were wider, at least in the dry.
These also work very well in the dry.

IMO better than the MPS2

and they'e made in the US.
Thanks Dave. MPSS would have been my choice but I was worried that the extra 110mm of wheel radius would cause problems with my lowered 6GT3. I can barely fit two fingers between the wheel and the fender as it is. So I decided to go with the Sumitomos in standard OEM size. I've had them on my Boxster before and, though they can't compete with the MPSS, they were OK, plus can't beat the price ($650 shipped from TR).
Old 07-16-2014, 11:22 PM
edgy
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rather than create a new thread, I thought I'd bump this one up.

What's the verdict on these Michelin Pilot cups? Or are the PS2's better for street? I'm just not sure about the grip levels with PS2's.. zero to little driving in the wet for me and minimal track use, I'll get another set of wheels and tires for that.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....RTCUP&i3_Qty=2

Have requested a shipping quote from Tire Rack for a set.

cheers
Old 07-17-2014, 12:25 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by edgy
Rather than create a new thread, I thought I'd bump this one up.

What's the verdict on these Michelin Pilot cups? Or are the PS2's better for street? I'm just not sure about the grip levels with PS2's.. zero to little driving in the wet for me and minimal track use, I'll get another set of wheels and tires for that.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....RTCUP&i3_Qty=2

Have requested a shipping quote from Tire Rack for a set.

cheers
If you're going to have a separate set of wheels and tires for the track, I wouldn't bother running Cups (MPSC) on the street. They're grippier than what you need in a street-only tires, expensive, not long lasting, not great in the rain, and fairly harsh on a car that's harsh to begin with. IMO, PS2's would be a much better choice for street only tires, but there are better choices still. I have set of cheap Hankook Ventus tires on my stock rims and they're great for the street - compliant, great on a wet road, and more than adequate for driving as hard as you'd ever dare on the street. I've even driven them on track once, and they were okay at cornering levels I'd never attempt on the street. Here in the US, they're about half the price of PS2's. Good luck with your choice.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:45 AM
edgy
Banned

Thanks for your comments

What kind of life could one expect for the cups on the street versus life of say PS2's?

Cheers
Old 07-17-2014, 01:01 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by edgy
Thanks for your comments

What kind of life could one expect for the cups on the street versus life of say PS2's?

Cheers
The only MPSC's I've had on my car were the ones it came with from the previous owner and they were fairly worn down when I got them. But the treadwear rating on the Cups is quite a bit lower/softer than the PS2 as I recall (80 vs 180?), and they're much softer to a fingernail poke, so I'd expect the mileage difference to be significant.

If you set up your car for a track alignment or a compromise street/track alignment, you will be running a couple degrees or more of negative camber. Running lots of camber on the street will wear down the inside edges of the tires sooner than the time it would take to wear down a tire with little camber. That effect will be more pronounced on a softer tire such as an MPSC.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:07 AM
edgy
Banned

Originally Posted by fbirch
The only MPSC's I've had on my car were the ones it came with from the previous owner and they were fairly worn down when I got them. But the treadwear rating on the Cups is quite a bit lower/softer than the PS2 as I recall (80 vs 180?), and they're much softer to a fingernail poke, so I'd expect the mileage difference to be significant.

If you set up your car for a track alignment or a compromise street/track alignment, you will be running a couple degrees or more of negative camber. Running lots of camber on the street will wear down the inside edges of the tires sooner than the time it would take to wear down a tire with little camber. That effect will be more pronounced on a softer tire such as an MPSC.
All very good points ^^ thank you.

I might talk to my alignment shop and get his recommendation again, after I fit it out with all new tires I'll get it corner weighted and aligned.

Cheers
Old 07-17-2014, 10:36 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

I am runing AD08 (245F and 295R) and I very happy with their performance. I can get 14 track days out of them. Once below thread bar, no grip. Good for Chris Harris imitations.

I see that some like the new BFG Rivals, I checked price and they ar $200 less than the AD08 and they come in a larger rear, 315 vs 295. I have rims that can fit 315's.

What is the performance like on the BFG's vs AD08 and how long could I expect them to last?
What about fit for the 315's, mine is lowered?

Last edited by tgavem; 07-17-2014 at 10:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Tires for street(mostly) 6gt3