Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Quick Release

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 05:40 AM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by kk2
So that sucked.. I hate working inside the car.

Wasn't sure what to do with the included green wire. Fashioned it into a connector for that horn bracket as it doesn't really come with anything.

Connected everything and went to test the horn. Nothing. I got one pathetic beep and nothing else. Not sure where the breakdown is but I ran out of time for today.
You have the 964 part numbered L shape brass connector right?

That part needs to be bent slightly in order to be in constant contact with brass ring on back of boss. I've gone through it in the links above but that was what caught me out.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:18 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Dervish
You have the 964 part numbered L shape brass connector right?

That part needs to be bent slightly in order to be in constant contact with brass ring on back of boss. I've gone through it in the links above but that was what caught me out.
Yea. I have the carnewal kit which includes it. I saw a post about that not making contact. I bent it but I don't know. Ran out of time. I could only pull it apart once.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:38 AM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

The live wire is connected to the prong coming from that 964 part going through clock housing. That's the only connection needed. I can hear the brass parts rubbing when I turn wheel which confirms the connection.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:48 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Dervish
The live wire is connected to the prong coming from that 964 part going through clock housing. That's the only connection needed. I can hear the brass parts rubbing when I turn wheel which confirms the connection.
Is that the scraping noise I can hear from the back of the boss when I turn the wheel? I find that annoying.

I confess that I paid a shop to fit my carnewal "kit" but they told me the reason the horn is difficult to earth is because the steering shaft has a rubber damper of sorts which needs to be bypassed.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:59 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Either might be the case. I didn't start installing until 9pm so when I wrapped up it was a little late. Probably won't see the car again for another couple weeks.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:54 AM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spiller
Is that the scraping noise I can hear from the back of the boss when I turn the wheel? I find that annoying.

I confess that I paid a shop to fit my carnewal "kit" but they told me the reason the horn is difficult to earth is because the steering shaft has a rubber damper of sorts which needs to be bypassed.
Don't know about the rubber damper, didn't see one. Yes that is the scraping noise. If you look you'll also see some brass dust over time around bottom of housing.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:47 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

More cross linking for future reference:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...new-wheel.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...-jumper-4.html
Old 04-28-2015, 09:07 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

On a related note, I have a question about optimal wheel position (fore and aft) in the GT3. I just installed a new wheel in the 996 GT3 RS I'm restoring and I'm not sure I like where it ended up -- it seems too close to the driver for my taste. The wheel is the OEM Momo Mod 07 wheel, which is 350 mm and dished, with the Momo wheel adapter (which I think is the OEM size), and the Motorsports quick release hub. When I got the car, it had an aftermarket Momo wheel, which had no dish, hence the rim was closer to the dashboard. I'm replacing it because it was too small in diameter for my taste. From these photos, can anyone tell me if this is "correct" for the car and the way it was likely delivered? Are there any Momo adapters that are shorter -- say half the length of the one pictured? Between the dish, the hub adapter, and the QR hub, it feels like the wheel is in my chest.
Attached Images   
Old 04-28-2015, 09:13 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately, that looks about right. Remember the column is telescoping, so you can push and pull it some. Any quick release is going to stand off quite a bit.

If you still aren't happy, get a wheel that isn't dished.

Not sure what you mean regarding being as delivered. Doesn't look like your car is very stock.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:04 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Got mine installed. Airbag defeat works perfect. I didn't get the horn 100% because I don't want to hack up the connector on the back of the steering column as some have. I am going to try to do something a bit more elegant. But after I hit COTA.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:25 PM
Rob S
Pro

Originally Posted by kk2
Unfortunately, that looks about right. Remember the column is telescoping, so you can push and pull it some. Any quick release is going to stand off quite a bit.

If you still aren't happy, get a wheel that isn't dished.

Not sure what you mean regarding being as delivered. Doesn't look like your car is very stock.
KK2,

Thank you. It's a factory race car, so it's "stock" but not in the street sense. I want the dished wheel because that was original to the car -- I ordered it per the GT3 RS parts book from 2001 from PMNA. But though the adapter came with the wheel too, it just seems so long, and when coupled with the QR hub, the wheel is in my face. And the column doesn't telescope on this car either. Does anyone know if Momo makes a shorter adapter?

I could use my non dished wheel, but that doesn't look (or feel) right to me either. That's why I sprang for the original dished wheel.

Rob
Old 04-29-2015, 09:12 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rob S
KK2,

Thank you. It's a factory race car, so it's "stock" but not in the street sense. I want the dished wheel because that was original to the car -- I ordered it per the GT3 RS parts book from 2001 from PMNA. But though the adapter came with the wheel too, it just seems so long, and when coupled with the QR hub, the wheel is in my face. And the column doesn't telescope on this car either. Does anyone know if Momo makes a shorter adapter?

I could use my non dished wheel, but that doesn't look (or feel) right to me either. That's why I sprang for the original dished wheel.

Rob
It think the term you're looking for is gt3 cup.. not gt3 rs. That could get a little bit confusing.

I might be wrong, but it looks as if the lever for the telescoping wheel is there. Though it might not be functional.

Take the quick release off and see if it fits you better.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:52 PM
Rob S
Pro

KK2,

The Motorsports QR hub standoff seems to be longer than others -- I have a Rothsport one as well, which I think is shorter. I'm just looking to move the wheel forward without changing the wheel or the hub, as they are very original and distinctive parts of the car. If the hub adapter were shorter, that would be less noticeable (in my mind). Whereas many people put a QR hub in for the cool factor, this car really needs it -- between the cage and the seat, there's no easy way to get in or out without removing the wheel. And though there's a lever for telescoping, it's not designed to be functional in this car.

This is a "real" GT3 RS race car -- not a Cup car. The family of GT3 R series cars (GT3 R from 99-00, GT3 RS from 01-03, GT3 RSR from 04-05) are sometimes loosely referred to as "R" cars or "RSRs," which was the accurate designation only for the first two or last two years. They were Porsche's highest level 911 variant and were FIA legal for the world stage. Though they resemble Cup cars, they actually share very little of their running gear, suspension, or body work with the Cup car. It was Kevin Buckler who won the GT class at the 24 Hours of LeMans in 2002 and first overall at the 24 hours of Daytona in 2003 in a GT3 RS. Here's a pic of mine in its heyday. For the last five years, I have been fully restoring it and have been doing my best, within reason, to stay true to how Weissach did things.
Attached Images  
Old 04-29-2015, 09:25 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Ah ok... You might want to ask the question in the cup car forum. Mostly street cars here.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:27 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 214 Posts

Had a dished omp steering wheel. It was way to close to me. I got a momo flat wheel which was more to my liking. Mike

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Quick Release