Steering Wheel Quick Release

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 09:40 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by lax01
Thanks! Sounds simple enough...now if only Carnewal had the wheels in stock!
They don't? I ordered one the day before yesterday and it's already in transit. Must have got lucky!
Old 03-18-2015, 12:08 AM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller
They don't? I ordered one the day before yesterday and it's already in transit. Must have got lucky!
I only see Add to Wishlist here

Maybe you got the last one? I could email...not completely ready to buy yet...
Old 03-18-2015, 05:33 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yeah if you add to wish list it takes you to a section where you fill out a contact form and Gert will email you back with a shipping quote. His replies are incredibly prompt!
Old 03-18-2015, 01:07 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Yeah if you add to wish list it takes you to a section where you fill out a contact form and Gert will email you back with a shipping quote. His replies are incredibly prompt!
Good to know! Will be doing this soon...

Also, post pics once you get it installed!
Old 03-18-2015, 10:04 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

will do!
Old 04-02-2015, 06:19 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

pics of cup wheel installed as promised. they had to fluff around trying to earth the horn as the steering column has a rubber dampener which was causing issues, anyway in getting that sorted the airbag light came on (resistor included in the kit was used but must have moved slightly)

can't believe the difference in steering feel, night and day and I can never see myself going back to the standard wheel as long as I take the car on the track. I estimate the cup wheel and boss to weigh 5 pounds and the standard wheel feels more like 15-20 pounds. My only complaint is that I can hardly see the gauges with the smaller diameter wheel.

this is my view

since the angle of the steering column is not adjustable in the GT3 the only way around this that I can see is to lower the seat somehow. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 04-02-2015, 11:14 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

pics of cup wheel installed as promised. they had to fluff around trying to earth the horn as the steering column has a rubber dampener which was causing issues, anyway in getting that sorted the airbag light came on (resistor included in the kit was used but must have moved slightly) can't believe the difference in steering feel, night and day and I can never see myself going back to the standard wheel as long as I take the car on the track. I estimate the cup wheel and boss to weigh 5 pounds and the standard wheel feels more like 15-20 pounds. My only complaint is that I can hardly see the gauges with the smaller diameter wheel. this is my view since the angle of the steering column is not adjustable in the GT3 the only way around this that I can see is to lower the seat somehow. Anyone else have this issue?
Congrats on the upgraded wheel. Agree with improved steering feel. What seat do you have? I'm 6.2 with long torso and use sparco race seat without the seat cushion. If I put the cushion back in I have the same view as you!

Edit, looks like you have the gt3 buckets? I have those in my 993tt and they are pretty hard to sit in without cushion.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:17 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Congrats on the upgraded wheel. Agree with improved steering feel.
What seat do you have?
I'm 6.2 with long torso and use sparco race seat without the seat cushion. If I put the cushion back in I have the same view as you!
I'm 6ft with longer torso also and using the OEM "euro" buckets. Seat needs to be half an inch lower, it's not much. The seat cushion would definitely do it but that must be uncomfy? Edit: yeah the bottoms are quite hard. Does your airbag light come on?
Old 04-02-2015, 11:20 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

I'm 6ft with longer torso also and using the OEM "euro" buckets. Seat needs to be half an inch lower, it's not much. The seat cushion would definitely do it but that must be uncomfy? Edit: yeah the bottoms are quite hard. Does your airbag light come on?
Yes, airbag light comes on. Just a quick pull on the left little lever and it's gone! I've always liked to be low in the seat at the track so always pulled the pillow out of the seat. Feels like I'm more connected to car sitting low and really tucked in.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:06 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Yes, airbag light comes on. Just a quick pull on the left little lever and it's gone! I've always liked to be low in the seat at the track so always pulled the pillow out of the seat. Feels like I'm more connected to car sitting low and really tucked in.
I get the warning that flashes up on the main screen when I start the car which I can delete with the lever but the little light at the bottom of the dash is what stays on. My mechanic said he'd have another look at it next time the car is there. I agree, sitting lower is better -- perhaps I can look at mounting the seat directly to the floor or something.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:32 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Funny to see the key slot on the right (like normal in the US) in your pic...

Do you daily your car at all? I hate my bright, brown steering wheel and wanted to upgrade to this wheel (even without the airbag). Anybody want to talk me out of that? For car that is 90% street and 10% track?
Old 04-02-2015, 04:42 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by lax01
Funny to see the key slot on the right (like normal in the US) in your pic... Do you daily your car at all? I hate my bright, brown steering wheel and wanted to upgrade to this wheel (even without the airbag). Anybody want to talk me out of that? For car that is 90% street and 10% track?
I would go for it! If you don't like it, you can just sell it.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:26 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

lax, I always do a double take when seeing pics of the key slot on the LHD cars haha. As for the wheel, I got into the car this morning and you know when you have just changed something the day before and you forget you did it...you get a pleasant suprise. It is miles better, the feeling of connection to the car/steering is much improved. You feel like you can put the car exactly where you want it, no delay between your hand movements and the front wheels. This is now a GT3 should be IMO.

I don't daily the car, it's used for weekend coffee runs, track days and canyon/hills runs so I wasn't too fussed.

I also tried the seat without the cushion today, it's actually not too uncomfortable on the hind but still not quite low enough to see the entire tacho. I think I'll just bolt the thing to the floor. Not being able to see the gauges properly is something I would consider if thinking about changing to this wheel - it's not something I read about when considering the upgrade but it's one of those things that drives you mad. Plus if you have the comfort seats Id imagine it would be even worse as they are higher than the buckets.

Still, I think the trouble is worth it. Good bang for buck!
Old 04-05-2015, 03:15 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

I currently have the motorsports part. I used to use the Works Bell on a different car - which I really liked...

Ray
Old 04-20-2015, 12:57 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Does the included big spacer go below the hub mount? Closest to the steering column?

Spacer, hub, horn assembly, wheel?

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Quick Release