Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Splitter Design

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 75 Posts

I got mine mounted today and took a bunch of pics. I'll post a separate DIY on mounting this up with the hardware I sourced locally... This thing ain't going anywhere...VERY well mounted.

Mike
Old 12-07-2012, 09:08 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Mounted mine and it looks great. Can't test until Sebring but with the addition of the new cup car wing and slicks I may have an orgasm my first lap....
Old 12-12-2012, 01:31 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
Mounted mine and it looks great. Can't test until Sebring but with the addition of the new cup car wing and slicks I may have an orgasm my first lap....
LOL....cant wait to get mine.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:38 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha ha, too funny.

I get to try mine out on the 29th. Need to install this weekend.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:48 PM
BuckeyeDrew
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody having trouble getting in and out of driveways with this splitter?
Old 12-14-2012, 01:26 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BuckeyeDrew
Mine is on a race car and it does hang very low. I needed some extra ramping to get the car into the trailer. Can't speak for a driveway though.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:14 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckeyeDrew
Going to depend a good bit on the driveway and height of the car. My car is pretty low (103mm front) and I just barely scrape my cup splitter as it is. I'm a little worried about how badly these would scrape on mine but I'm still probably going to get one anyhow.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:31 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Scott if you'll listen to some setup advise from someone who's switched from a Koni wing to a cup wing several year back.... Set that wing as flat as possible for awhile and then decide how to proceed. Your new front splitter should offer a little more downforce, but not nearly as much as that wing will affect your setup. I always tell people that rake is so important in the setup for 996's. Cups run about 25mm of rake (85f, 110 r), I run a little less (90f, 105 r) and that works great for me. One manifestation of that wing might be more understeer which is why you want the rake. Instead of softening up the front bar or stiffening the rear, first make sure you have ample rake. Understeer is a bitch but can be handled. Oversteer is more dangerous....
Old 12-15-2012, 09:24 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Scott if you'll listen to some setup advise from someone who's switched from a Koni wing to a cup wing several year back.... Set that wing as flat as possible for awhile and then decide how to proceed. Your new front splitter should offer a little more downforce, but not nearly as much as that wing will affect your setup. I always tell people that rake is so important in the setup for 996's. Cups run about 25mm of rake (85f, 110 r), I run a little less (90f, 105 r) and that works great for me. One manifestation of that wing might be more understeer which is why you want the rake. Instead of softening up the front bar or stiffening the rear, first make sure you have ample rake. Understeer is a bitch but can be handled. Oversteer is more dangerous....
THanks for the advice JR. PM sent.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Driven around on mine for about 200 miles now. One thing I can tell immediately from the new splitter and the OEM wing set to 4 degrees is throttle lift rotation is more pronounced even on moderate speed corners (think avg. 55-70 mph). The car use to not rotate as quickly with throttle modulation. The added front downforce is probably playing against the "street" alignment on this thing. I really need to set it up with a more aggressive alignment and corner balance.

Mike
Old 12-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Driven around on mine for about 200 miles now. One thing I can tell immediately from the new splitter and the OEM wing set to 4 degrees is throttle lift rotation is more pronounced even on moderate speed corners (think avg. 55-70 mph). The car use to not rotate as quickly with throttle modulation. The added front downforce is probably playing against the "street" alignment on this thing. I really need to set it up with a more aggressive alignment and corner balance.

Mike
Hmmm, interesting... I have a real aggressive track alignment as well as a GT3 RS wing set at 4 degrees, I suspect I may not have the same issue. I was hoping that this splitter would balance out the extra downforce I have in the rear. Will soon find out.....
Old 12-15-2012, 12:29 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly

Mike
Assuming you're talking about your GT3, have you ever replaced your LSD clutches? Going with Guard's or Motorsports clutch discs will dramatically change the way yor car rotates with throttle lift....
Old 12-15-2012, 10:47 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

The Rear Diff is stock, and yes it is the GT3 of mine, not one of the other cars...

Mike
Old 12-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Joe Toth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gentlemen and Ladies,
I would like to get some opinions on my next splitter project. I am not soliciting orders and don't mean this to be a sales pitch. I work full time as a moldmaker in the fiberglass industry and enjoy doing stuff that is a little off the wall and inovative in my spare time. As Ian stated in the original post I want to make carbon fiber splitters, but not the typical CF. With the help of some chemists we have managed to formulate a new resin. It is optically clear and UV resistant. As is the case with normal CF it with break on impact just like the fiberglass splitters. This new material will be flexible similar to the stock cup lips. Before investing a bagfull of money (which I don't have) into tooling and raw materials I am interested in your opinions as to the possible viability of a new product like this. It will have the beautifull apperance of carbon fiber along with the resiliency of the factory plastic lip. Not sure how quickly this will happen or even if it will but your feedback will certainly be considered in the final decission to move ahead or shelf it as another one of my dumb ideas.
Thanking you in advance for your input.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:33 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Joe, if the price is similar to your current splitter I would prefer this newer design that you are considering.

Quick Reply: New Splitter Design