Sponsored by:

Is This Part Important?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 01:49 AM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is This Part Important?

When I bought my car earlier this year, the previous owner gave me this piece. I think I've finally figured out where it goes - it appears to mount inside the front wheel well. I believe this one if for the passenger side. I don't have the corresponding piece for the driver's side. Part number stamped on this piece is 996.575.232.30. If I google the part number, it's referenced as being an "air duct".

Can anyone tell me whether this piece is important? If so I'll need to track down a driver's side version. Does it help to direct air onto the front rotors? FWIW, I am running the Cup front brake ducts. I'm wondering if they were removed by the previous owner due to rubbing issues with wider track rubber. You can see some gouging in the top photo below, perhaps cause by tire rubbing?
Attached Images   

Last edited by IanM; 10-31-2012 at 02:15 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:58 AM
bobsan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's fucntion is two fold: yes it does direct air onto rotor along with the other lower air scoop which often get's torn away if vehicle has an 'off' moment, but it's also a permanent splash guard over the steering rack rubber gaiter, steering rack and general guard against water entering rack tunnel, power steering hoses and brake anti lock system. Item should be in place both sides if vehicle.

As usual the large clips have broken off yours so just affix with the remaining small ones and cable tie top part to body
Old 11-01-2012, 01:43 AM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks! Does anyone have a driver's side version of this piece they'd like to sell?

Quick Reply: Is This Part Important?