IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speakers are sold - thanks Mike
Old 10-26-2012, 12:07 AM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Great thread thanks, I have been meaning to upgrade the "radio" to a real setup for a while, this may push me over the edge
Old 10-29-2012, 10:37 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

It is with slight trepidation that I make this next post, as I know many people on this board are hyper-sensitive to adding ounces let alone pounds to the weight of their GT3. Don't get me wrong, I'm a track guy. However, I also drive the car on the street and I think the stock stereo is crap. Anyways, here's some info, in case anyone is interested.

I wasn't going to install a subwoofer, but I've recently been reading about compact powered subwoofers. They are designed to fit under the seats of most cars, although one would never fit under the seat of a GT3. After some research, I found that the Kicker 11HS8 sub would just fit behind my driver's seat. It's got a built-in amplifier, and the whole thing pulls out of the car in seconds (i.e. for track days).

Anyways, I bought it on-line for $299, and installed it this past weekend. The sounds is INCREDIBLE. I truly can't believe the bass that comes out of this little thing, and the system as a whole sounds fantastic. Here are some pics. No holes or other mods were required to install this in my car. Note though that my car has a clubsport cage installed, so fitment may vary depending on what cage / rollbar you're running.
Attached Images   
Old 10-31-2012, 12:49 AM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I find a little music as I grid up is a good wakeup at track days, at least until the motor starts singing
Old 11-11-2012, 11:55 PM
alphuez
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question about the sub. I am about to install the Kicker in my GT3 and was wondering where you pulled the power from? Did you go to the battery? If so did you find an easy path to run the power cable through the fire wall to the battery?
Old 11-13-2012, 01:09 AM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Yes I ran power from the battery. There's a rubber grommet right behind the battery, you can run a wire through it. I'm very happy with this little sub.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:43 PM
alphuez
Track Day

Ah, thanks. I saw the grommet behind the battery, but I wasn't sure where it came out on the interior. It's pretty snug behind the dash. I just installed a new Alpine head unit and the little Alpine amp you used along with some Focal speakers. What a huge upgrade from the factory audio system without any weight gain. I can't wait to get the sub in. Thanks so much for your write up. It really helped with my install
Old 11-20-2012, 05:28 PM
theseb
AutoX

Originally Posted by SoCalDan
After everything was ready to install, there was one wire missing. I believe it was the constant power.
are you sure it was constant power? I'm currently replacing my head unit on an '04 GT3 and i've run into a problem where the switched power (ignition +12V) is not providing any power under any circumstances, but i have no problem getting constant power. anyone have a solution other than running a new wire?
Old 11-21-2012, 12:54 AM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Correct, it was the switched power that I was missing as well. I used the switched power source from a 4-prong unused plug in the center console area (see photo below). The ground, battery power and antenna power are all available in the oem stereo plug 'A'. I can't recall at the moment whether or not that plug also provides the dash illumination signal. I may have tapped into the cigarette lighter illumination power wire for that.
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2012, 04:52 AM
theseb
AutoX

Originally Posted by IanM
I used the switched power source from a 4-prong unused plug in the center console area (see photo below)
AWESOME. thanks for this. days of googling didn't turn up much information, and this is exactly what i was hoping for. hope it helps someone other than me thanks again.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:15 PM
alphuez
Track Day

Yes, I had the same issue. I ran a wire to the fuse box and used a fuse tap and attached it to the windshield wiper fuse for the accessory power.

http://4x4icon.com/crossfire/pioneer...s_fuse_tap.jpg
Old 11-21-2012, 03:21 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

You can modify (squish) a male pin connector and push it into the socket for the switched power, don't have to cut any wires.

Quick Reply: 2004 GT3 wiring diagrams and stereo install