Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire life - toyo 888 - 2 days of track life to wear marker ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 12:03 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Tire life - toyo 888 - 2 days of track life to wear marker ?

Hello guys,

I am running toyo 888 with as much camber as I can get from the stock 996 C2 setup, which is not that much, -1 in front and -1.4 in the back or something close to that. Also I am running pressure 36 (front) 38 (back) when hot.

Do you think that my low camber setting explain why my Toyo 888 are already on the wear mark, after only 2 days (+-5hours) of track time at Homestead Miami speedway.

Also I want to mention that I am beginner so my driving style is the smoothest:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=J261Oy-ipV0
Tell me what I am doing wrong...

PS: I don't drive a 6gt3 but a regular 996 C2, but I think this forum will be more able to answer my question.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:22 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Are they wearing even? Inside or outside wearing first? Just rears? What are your full alignment settings?

-td
Old 12-19-2011, 06:54 AM
Number54
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ This.

Where on the tire is the wear occurring?
Old 12-19-2011, 08:57 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Phil, post up some pics of all 4 tires and let is know which ones are left and right. My guess is your right is worn more than your lefts but the across tire wear is what we are interested in.

There was nothing with your driving style that screams rough on tires so my guess is you should be seeing 8-10 days (4 sessions a day format) easily out of your R888's. Nitto NT01's (roughly same compound from the manufacturer) get 8-10+ days easily and that is actually driven them as they should.

FYI.....I ran my heavy @ss 996 turbo with a street alignment on track (-0.8 F and -1.0 R) and I got 4 events on them and they still have one more event in them.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:53 PM
runet
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I've done about 30 sessions, 20min each session (3 trackdays) on my 888's and still got 1 trackday left on them. I also do street driving on the same set, and has done about 6k miles so far trackwork included. Very even wear, just slightly more on the inside with my settings (not very aggressive on a GT3).
Old 12-19-2011, 03:42 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Ok here are the pictures, They are taken facing the back of the car

Front Driver (face, exterior, interior)
Front Passenger (face, exterior, interior)
Rear Driver (face, exterior, interior)
Rear Passenger (face, exterior, interior)

BTW, there is still some rubber left BUT they have reached the wear marker in the rear and pretty close to it in the front. I'd say I can run one or two more days until they get bald, but my club rules are that I am not allowed to run them once I reach the wear mark.
Luckily there are track days who don't look at those things but I don't see how they will last 6 days or more. Unless I run them until they cord...

I need to find my last alignment but I was at maximum camber allowed by stock suspension, I'll update the post when I get the values
Attached Images             
Old 12-19-2011, 03:47 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Those tires look brand new. Did you post the correct pics?
Old 12-19-2011, 03:55 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Lolll, Yes those are the pictures of the tires...

They do have reached the wear marker., so I thought that once the wear marker was reached they were about to be dead, but if you tell me they look new to you then that is good news.

I just always check that box on the tech sheet before track days where they ask you to make sure your tire have not reach the wear mark so I assume after that they would not be safe to use.

This is my first set of 'racy tires' and I need to drive the car back from the track so I want to make sure I have a good margin before they die on me.

Do you think it is ok to run them until they cord ?
Old 12-19-2011, 04:04 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Wear bars are for "street tires" which these technically are as they are DOT tires. They are a US Govt requirement and not something to be concerned with when running on track. You can run them until they are slicks and you cord them or which ever comes first.

But you'll have to point out to me where on those tires you are down to the wear bars as I just don't see it. To be down to a wear bar you need to have both sides of the tread gap that houses the bar be completely flat across thus connecting both sides of the tread as if the wear bar unites the two sides to become one. I don't see that in any of your pictures.

If you get worried at any point to the life left in the tire, just post up some pics and we'll give them the thumbs up or down
Old 12-19-2011, 04:05 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

U still have tread. Run them to the cords. If us going same track(ccw)rotate the tires ie rt to left. As dell said they look new. Mike
Old 12-19-2011, 04:17 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
+1. Those look like they've only been scrubbed.

If you have 2 days on them already (8 sessions) you will end up with a bunch more days out of them. When you can't see the tread anymore, you only have a day or two left (assuming they are weaing even). Be sure to flip/rotate when you can. They can be run backwards in the dry.

One thing I can tell you, they need more slip angle to go fast.

-td
Old 12-19-2011, 04:18 PM
ninerguru
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by runet
I've done about 30 sessions, 20min each session (3 trackdays) on my 888's and still got 1 trackday left on them. I also do street driving on the same set, and has done about 6k miles so far trackwork included. Very even wear, just slightly more on the inside with my settings (not very aggressive on a GT3).
Just out of curiosity, what are your alignment settings? I had some issues with tire wear on my car and just reduced the rear camber... From what I read, R888s need less camber than other tires...
Thanks!
Old 12-19-2011, 04:33 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Great news for the tires ! I can't wait to wear them to the cord

See below a picture of my current alignment. As I said this is as much camber as I can get with the stock suspension RoW-M030.

Next month I am planning to go with PSS9 and camber plate (allows an additional -1 degree camber in the front) and I was thinking going -2.5 camber in the front , good or bad idea ?
Attached Images  
Old 12-19-2011, 04:36 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

That is a lot of toe for the rear and probably more than enough camber as well. The front could obviously get a bit more aggressive but it all comes down to how you are wearing your tires and the temps they see across the face.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:38 PM
FEKGT3
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Unhappy with wear on 888 as well. Would also be interested in alignment specs.

Quick Reply: Tire life - toyo 888 - 2 days of track life to wear marker ?