Bumper Repair/Lip Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:11 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Bumper Repair/Lip Spoiler

So, hit a truck tire chunk that ripped off my front lip spoiler (for the umpteenth time). Haven't closely inspected the attachment points on the underside of the bumper, but do know from previous problems that many of the rivet holes are out of round/oversized.

Thinking of doing a repair by removing the bumper, and epoxying a thin sheet of plastic/metal on the inside of the bumper, then drilling new holes to accept the new spoiler/rivets.

Any thoughts/guidance? What gage plastic/metal to use? Other adhesive? Use fiberglass? How about a shop to do this rather DIY?
Old 10-17-2011, 03:20 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Joe,

I think you could use a thin sheet of aluminum. Once the bumper cover is off, you'll see what shape it needs to be...

Epoxy won't stick to the PU...attach the trimmed aluminum sheet to the inside of the bumper cover with a series of aluminum rivets. Then drill correct sized holes for the plastic push rivets. Should work...and cheap.

Good luck...

Fred
Old 10-21-2011, 05:36 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

How about double sided tape, like for auto trim? I've used that on my spoiler successfully, and have sealed the joint with silicone. That way, if it gets ripped off again, it won't damage the bumper.

Quick Reply: Bumper Repair/Lip Spoiler