Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So much for my Sunday AM drive....wierd noise...

Old 10-09-2011, 12:10 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Default So much for my Sunday AM drive....wierd noise...

Since it's Sunday and I cant get the car to the shop until tomorow, I thought I would post this up and see if anyone has any thoughts (I tried a search but not much there....).

Issue: the GT3 is all of a sudden today making fairly bad noise under forward throttle, even at 20-25 MPH leaving the neighborhood, it makes a sound, modest volume (4 on scale of 1 - 10), kind of a lopping noise from the right rear. It sounds like a rub or similar. I was at first hoping it was loose lug nuts or something so I immediatlely turned around and went back to my garage. (no they're tight). took the car around the block again, and tested it, It doesn't do it in reverse! hhhmmmm.... I can go in reverese under throttle with no noise, only forward throttle. Nothing seems to be rubbing....it doesn't matter if in a turn or corner, it does it just going straight at low speeds. I didn't eeven get out of the neighborhood since it sounds bad and don't want to do more damage...

ADDITION - it makes the noise even when coasting forwards in neutral....but does not when coasting backwards...

Anyon have any ideas? I guess I'll go drive the Boxster S, and will take the GT3 to the shop tomorrow. I hope it is safe to drive it there....it is about 3 miles....

Thanks.

Last edited by CanyonBlaster; 10-09-2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: adding info RE the issue
Old 10-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Something like debris stuck in the caliper/brake area?
Old 10-09-2011, 12:39 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What was the last thing you did with the car before the noise began? Just finished installing new brake pads? A hard track day? Flipped the wheels? Drove to grandma's house for cookies?
Old 10-09-2011, 03:39 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

The only recent work was the shop did a stock street alignment for the winter (dialed back the track setup - raised car approx 12 mm, took out most of the agressive camber, etc..).

After, I took the car out for a backroad romp the other day, and it drove great.

Last edited by CanyonBlaster; 10-09-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:33 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Possible to get the car up on stands and rotate the rear wheel by hand and see if you can iso the sound?
Old 10-10-2011, 12:50 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

I limped it to the shop.
Turns out, it was the left rear wheel bearing. It is shot, wheel is really wobbly!
Never seen one go so completely and so suddenly.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:53 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Interesting. Glad they got you squared away.

You have a drive waiting for you
Old 10-10-2011, 02:05 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And you just bought this GT3, right? Was this the one in FL with the respray?
Old 10-10-2011, 08:13 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SH || NC
And you just bought this GT3, right? Was this the one in FL with the respray?
Tech called, I actually need the HUB also! This surpises me, oh well...he's got one coming tomorrow AM.

Yes, this is Daniel's old car. At the price I paid (I stole this car...I really wanted a fully prepped track day car spcifically), I don't mind having to fix a few things here and there.

BTW - the paint is really really nicely done. I took it to the highest-end paint shop in Denver and the owner (this guy does ALL the local Porsches, Ferrari's, etc..), said it was as good or better than any paint he can do, especially black. So that felt good to hear. THe car looks as new.

Thanks guys for the support.

ps- I was taking car in this AM by appt to get the cup shifter installed (matching it up to the cup cables already in it). The B&M SSK is one mistake Daniel and his race tech made with this car......horrible bad.... I have a thread going on that. I'll report the results!
Old 10-10-2011, 09:33 PM
ninerguru
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a very odd failure mode for a bearing. The bearings are double row, and pretty substantial. They usually will give you plenty notice before they go. They will howl and you can hear them change pitch while loading/unloading them like when driving on a series of turns.

Just as a data point, how many miles in the car? Do you know if bearing was ever changed before? Could it have been improperly installed/torqued? Even though it does not make any difference now, it would be nice to hear if PO had any issues with it once before...

Just trying to collect some failure data points as these cars are not getting any younger and perhaps add them to the list of things to check regularly. BTW, we do check wheel bearing while we inspect cars before DE events... Thanks!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:03 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ninerguru
That is a very odd failure mode for a bearing. The bearings are double row, and pretty substantial. They usually will give you plenty notice before they go. They will howl and you can hear them change pitch while loading/unloading them like when driving on a series of turns.

Just as a data point, how many miles in the car? Do you know if bearing was ever changed before? Could it have been improperly installed/torqued? Even though it does not make any difference now, it would be nice to hear if PO had any issues with it once before...

Just trying to collect some failure data points as these cars are not getting any younger and perhaps add them to the list of things to check regularly. BTW, we do check wheel bearing while we inspect cars before DE events... Thanks!
Tech said it looked like it had been messed with prior, or worked on (I forget exact phrase). I will ask for more detail when I p/u the car tomorrow.

I have approx 10 track days with this car since I bought it in July. It has been fine. I agree, as did tech, that sudden failure is unusual...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So much for my Sunday AM drive....wierd noise...