Sponsored by:

? today's market on 996 GT3 ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 09:51 AM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
I think The full re-paint scared a lot of people away from that car. You ended up with a screaming deal in the end!
I think you're right - great car otherwise!
Old 09-10-2011, 10:59 AM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) 60-ish
2) Mid 50's
3) high 50's
4) same as 1

Lots of outlandish asking prices these days, sellers seem to be pretty content with letting them sit there unless they get top dollar. Deals are out there every now and then.

Market bottomed winter of '09-10 Sharp increase spring of 10, another small increase sping 11. Hasn't really gone anywhere since about April this year.
I think this is right on, but prices wont come down and most likely will climb in the future. There are less and less good ones left, so many have had track accidents and mods. I think as a collectible a 996 will eventually be worth more. maybe even as soon as 5 years from now
Old 09-10-2011, 04:10 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrbmw
I think you're right - great car otherwise!
Thank you guys! I am having fun learning to drive it at the track (getting good coaching from Joe Rothman). Already learned alot and doing much faster laps than in my 986-S. Already dropped from 2:14-15's to 2:10's on our local track, HPR. 2:05's should be in reach soon as I get comfortable with the higher capabilities & limits of the car. Fast local guys are doing 2:00 flat in similar car...
Old 09-10-2011, 05:01 PM
p997s123
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That car was tempting. I ended up going in the opposite direction and bought a 2005 CPO with 4800 miles. 60'sK. The car is perfect inside and out. It's basically a new car that is 6 yrs old! Have tracked it only once so far but the season is just starting. I've put in a Motorsport half cage, rss susp components, rear cup cooling ducts (ceramics), seats, harnesses. RaceKeeper and track wheels will finish it off. Fortunately, most of the susp., the seats and harnesses were moved from my Cayman.

Now I have to learn how to drive a rear engine car! I spun already going through a corner slower than I did in my cayman, but that's why I bought the car.

Last edited by p997s123; 09-10-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:09 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

We might be at a crossroad; the 996 really is unique and should maintain or climb, whereas the 997.1 could continue to decrease as the more-desirable 997.2 depreciates and becomes more "affordable".
Old 09-10-2011, 06:49 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by CanyonBlaster
Thank you guys! I am having fun learning to drive it at the track (getting good coaching from Joe Rothman). Already learned alot and doing much faster laps than in my 986-S. Already dropped from 2:14-15's to 2:10's on our local track, HPR. 2:05's should be in reach soon as I get comfortable with the higher capabilities & limits of the car. Fast local guys are doing 2:00 flat in similar car...
Sort of off topic but are you going to HPR Sept 16 for lapping. I plan on being there in the M3.

Peter
Old 09-10-2011, 07:11 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by p997s123
That car was tempting. I ended up going in the opposite direction and bought a 2005 CPO with 4800 miles. 60'sK. The car is perfect inside and out. It's basically a new car that is 6 yrs old! Have tracked it only once so far but the season is just starting. I've put in a Motorsport half cage, rss susp components, rear cup cooling ducts (ceramics), seats, harnesses. RaceKeeper and track wheels will finish it off. Fortunately, most of the susp., the seats and harnesses were moved from my Cayman.

Now I have to learn how to drive a rear engine car! I spun already going through a corner slower than I did in my cayman, but that's why I bought the car.
That really kind of what happens. You either get one track ready or get it stock and do the work. It's always worrisome to buy somebody else's modded car, but seems well known cars are pretty legit.

Unfortunate thing is mods for these cars are pretty outrageously expensive so some mods are definitely appealing.

Anyways, they are awesome and it doesn't matter which one you get - you ended up enjoying every minute.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:37 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Info request

Does anybody know the car linked below? Opinon on pricing?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 09-11-2011, 01:23 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=fbirch;8859027]Does anybody know the car linked below? Opinon on pricing?

I do, somewhat.....

When I was looking mid-summer this car was still in the hands of the original owner, and AZ is close to CO...). I spoke with him, nice guy. I recall he wanted more like $62K or so. I loved the color, but wanted a car more track prepped and was looking for a better value. When Daniel's car dropped to $50K, I jumped on it. I think it would have been reallly easy to fly past $15K in costs just to get a standard US GT3 to reallly track prepped status (half cage/oem race seats/harnesses/wheels tires).

I mod all my cars, even when new (incl Audi's , Beemers, etc.), so I moved past the whole "worry about mods" issue years ago. IMHO, as long as the mods are similar to what you would do or want anyway, and are installed right, it is great way to save $$. Most agree its much cheaper to buy a track car then to build one. I have learned this the hard way.... .

I do love that cobalt blue color though!
Old 09-11-2011, 01:25 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Sort of off topic but are you going to HPR Sept 16 for lapping. I plan on being there in the M3.

Peter
Peter - I will be there on the 17th only (business trip thru Sat AM unfort...).
They are timing on Sun last session though so looking forward to that.

Sorry to miss you.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:37 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

1) 60-ish
2) Mid 50's
3) high 50's
4) same as 1

Lots of outlandish asking prices these days, sellers seem to be pretty content with letting them sit there unless they get top dollar. Deals are out there every now and then.

Market bottomed winter of '09-10 Sharp increase spring of 10, another small increase sping 11. Hasn't really gone anywhere since about April this year.
Concur

Old 09-12-2011, 03:59 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thanks

[quote=CanyonBlaster;8860155]
Originally Posted by fbirch
Does anybody know the car linked below? Opinon on pricing?

I do, somewhat.....

When I was looking mid-summer this car was still in the hands of the original owner, and AZ is close to CO...). I spoke with him, nice guy. I recall he wanted more like $62K or so. I loved the color, but wanted a car more track prepped and was looking for a better value. When Daniel's car dropped to $50K, I jumped on it. I think it would have been reallly easy to fly past $15K in costs just to get a standard US GT3 to reallly track prepped status (half cage/oem race seats/harnesses/wheels tires).

I mod all my cars, even when new (incl Audi's , Beemers, etc.), so I moved past the whole "worry about mods" issue years ago. IMHO, as long as the mods are similar to what you would do or want anyway, and are installed right, it is great way to save $$. Most agree its much cheaper to buy a track car then to build one. I have learned this the hard way.... .

I do love that cobalt blue color though!
Thanks for the reply. I know exactly what you mean about buying a car that already has the mods you’d want to install yourself. I did that with one previous 911 I owned and it worked out great. No fussing with parts suppliers and long phone calls with mechanics; just get in and drive!

I had just started to get serious about buying a 6GT3 when Daniel’s car sold. To be honest, I’ve never driven a GT3, so I wasn’t sure if the track-focused mods on his car would have made it too hardcore for the kind of spirited back road driving that’ll comprise 85% of my planned usage (the other 15% = 6-7 DE’s per year). Given that you actually bought the car, I’d certainly appreciate your feedback on this point.

I’m still a bit undecided whether to go for a pure stock car and just use it as-is, or whether to opt for a mod’ed car. There aren’t any of these cars around my area (Louisiana) to go for a test drive and judge by direct comparison. My old mod’ed 911 was pretty raw in every respect, and that’s what I loved about it, even when using it off the track. I just don’t know how much more raw a 6GT3 would be.

BTW, you got one heck of a deal on your car. Well bought.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:41 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you plan on buying a bone stock 996 GT3, and add track preparation, budget for another $15k.

- Rollbar + installation
- A pair of race seats, the stock seats won't pass tech with 5-point harnesses
- Harnesses
- Fire extinguisher and mount
- Alignment and corner balance
- Track brake pads
- rear RSR style toe links (a must on 996 GT3)
- Wheels and Track tires.

All these modifications will not change how the car feels on the streets, except the toe-links that actually make it drive better, and the alignment that will improve track performance, and reduce standard U.S. street driving performance.

So, a $60k 996 GT3 becomes a $75k car.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 152 Posts

Add guard internals for differential, about $2400. Either budget for it or do it as soon as you get the car. I waited too long and it's like a new car to me.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a 6GT3 recently for low 60's with probably $25k+ in track mods, adding many more $$$'s to change gear ratios, LSD, more wheels (ex-Mooty), exhaust, and some engine work. Great platform to deal with...

Quick Reply: ? today's market on 996 GT3 ?