Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those with cup wing experience.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 08:59 PM
Boinkus44
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those with cup wing experience.....

My current set up includes an RS wing with an RS front bumper and a cup splitter, but I'm in the process of upgrading to an OEM (new) cup wing and cup (cf) decklid. Getting painted at the moment and will be installed in a couple of weeks, but in the meantime, I've got a few questions for those who have gone down this road before or those that are smarter than me:

What changes - if any - have been made to the front to balance the downforce ? I'm aware of the center rad tilting/vent through the top solution, but curious how much difference this truly makes.

Has anyone done the cup wing and nothing to the front ? If so, was the downforce imbalance noticeable or negligible ?

Has anyone gone with the cup decklid and a cup style intake (retaining MAF) without fan and direct ducting of outside air to the intake ? If so, any noticeable changes good/bad re the engines ability to generate power ?

If the cup wing is installed and at the same time about 40 lbs is removed from the rear (exhaust change), does this offset some of the increased rear downforce ?

Or, am I over thinking all of this ? FYI, most of my local tracks are high speed (Mosport, WG, LCMT, Mid-O, RA). Welcome any thoughts and insights. TIA.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:18 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve - my thought as I'm going through the exact same upgrade/process.

It seems nothing is really needed to offset the Cup wing since the lip most of us run is designed to work with the Cup wing. I've been exploring the idea of a larger front lip but it either turns out to be very expensive or unproven. I would recommend retaining the ram air setup from the stock car so you don't lose any power. Obviously the car needs all the air it can get so it can make normal power.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:21 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm going with an aftermarket cup decklid which retains the ram air intake for the stock airbox. I don't think there is an easy way to use the OEM cup lid and not lose power.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:02 PM
Boinkus44
Racer

Have to say I share the same thoughts re intake, but my (very) respected race shop points to the 996 cup intakes which are conical and and not ducted from the decklid. At any track speed, the engine compart will be filled with cold air through the decklid vents which feeds the conical intake. If good enough for a 996 cup, should be ok for my track 3, or is that flawed logic ?
Old 07-31-2011, 10:21 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

keep the MAF and try to have a sealed intake although that is hard with the oem cup intake.

cup wing without the cup's "blowing air from the top" radiator mod is not a balanced setup. The front cup lip is not enough.

6gt3 has around zero front lift as oem no downforce..
Old 07-31-2011, 10:22 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

And please do a search, I can remember 10 threads writing the same stuff..
And the iPhone sucks in typing : )
Old 07-31-2011, 10:34 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

You guys upgrading wanna PM me when you get rid of your RS wings? I really need one.

-td
Old 07-31-2011, 10:40 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Steve, like you I have the cutouts but not the blocking at the bottom and tilting of the rad. Planning to do this over the winter cause, yeah, downforce is good. Let me know if you figure it out, and I'll do the same.

PS Got the plot back on T2 during last session. Rounded the first apex a bit instead of darting, and it made all the difference
Old 07-31-2011, 10:53 PM
Boinkus44
Racer

I've done pretty thorough search and read everything even remotely related, and the overwhelming consensus is that it's best to replicate the street 3 decklid to keep the intake system intact. Makes sense to me, but I'm getting conflicting advice from an extremely respected and informed source. I'll probably go with the cup decklid and and a modified intake (MAF definitely won't be touched), and test on track. If a power loss is experienced then maybe change to a Getty Design decklid or a further modified intake. Not looking for a power increase, just don't want any loss. I need all the horses - and grip- I can get.

Re the RS wing, not yet sure what I'll do, but likely nothing until the cup wing experiment is successful - or not. Interest noted, and others have already asked as well. Keep you posted.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:01 PM
Boinkus44
Racer

Originally Posted by FFaust
Steve, like you I have the cutouts but not the blocking at the bottom and tilting of the rad. Planning to do this over the winter cause, yeah, downforce is good. Let me know if you figure it out, and I'll do the same.

PS Got the plot back on T2 during last session. Rounded the first apex a bit instead of darting, and it made all the difference
Francois,

Like you, the rad work will likely be a winter job, so that should give me a good sample size of tracking with the cup wing and no front adjustment to see how it all works together.

Funny how confidence in T2 can change the whole lap. Look forward to chasing you again and seeing the inside front in the air. Enjoy Calabogie this week and say hi to Marc for me.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:13 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Boinkus44
Francois,

Funny how confidence in T2 can change the whole lap. Look forward to chasing you again and seeing the inside front in the air. Enjoy Calabogie this week and say hi to Marc for me.
+1, get rid of pucker in T2 and the world is your oyster.

Will say hi to Marc, and last session was best of the WHOLE weekend. Fuel light came on as I came off... after an hour. Ended up doing 650 km
Old 07-31-2011, 11:23 PM
Boinkus44
Racer

Originally Posted by FFaust
+1, get rid of pucker in T2 and the world is your oyster.

Will say hi to Marc, and last session was best of the WHOLE weekend. Fuel light came on as I came off... after an hour. Ended up doing 650 km
Kudos to you. An hour long session in that heat after 3 days is tough to do. BTW, when I got home I looked under the rear to see how the Hoosiers looked, because they felt all used up. I found a big bulge in the inside sidewall of the right rear tire. Definitely validated the decision not to do the last session, and very happy I made it home. Don't think I'll commute with the Hoosiers any more....

Quick Reply: For those with cup wing experience.....