Sponsored by:

fuel pump hose--failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 05:39 PM
JMcD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Failure

My 2004 GT3 had a fuel pump failure at 5K miles and 4 years with no track time. The dealer tech said it was caused by a defective fuel pressure regulator and not the pump or hose(s) failure. The reg. blew the hose(s). All was replaced out of warranty by PCNA at NC.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:32 PM
ninerguru
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michael B, did you ever come across the Volvo hose part number? Thanks! Lou
Old 07-14-2010, 10:16 AM
fve
Advanced

Originally Posted by ninerguru
Michael B, did you ever come across the Volvo hose part number? Thanks! Lou
I pm'd him the other day, he said that he would look for the part #. I tried calling the local volvo dealer and did not get anywhere. FWIW, i also called numerous local parts stores, shops that specialize in hydraulics, etc and could not find anything. Heck, i could not even find the Gates hose locally. I wound up ordering from JEGS. Orders some clamps for muffler by-pass pipes and they had great prices and very prompt service. The hose will be here tomorrow.

As far as the "kink" in the hose. I am not sure that it is needed, the other hard plastic hose are far more pliable and pendable and i could cut it to whatever length will work to make all the parts fit nicely. I would still love to get the volvo part #, but i need to more forward to get things repaired. The Glen awaits in a few weeks.

I also realized that i did not answer many questions to a previous post. I will try to get to it tonight...my wife is away and i have the kids to myself. Those little buggers are a time-consuming and energetic handful. Which, is entirely my fault for being the high-strung spaz that i am.

fve
Old 07-14-2010, 10:53 AM
ninerguru
Racer

Thanks for the follow up... When are you going to the Glen? I'll be there Aug 13-15 with NNJR. Will take the GT3! Got to get my roll bar, seats, harnesses done soon. Going to Pocono this weekend with PDA to scrub in R888s and get a feel for the car. Lou
Old 07-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Sorry guys. Its in the hands of my parts department - they are looking for the details from the last one we did. Unfortunately they prioritized this behind actual customers.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:19 PM
kbc993
Advanced

I had the same problem in my 2003 996 Cup at the club race at Sebring. I took the damage hose to the Porsche Motorsports Parts trailer and the technicians comment was, "they fail all the time". He recommend that we replace ALL the rubber hoses with teflon fuel hose like the ones on the pump. The 180 degree bend in the hose is there to keep the upper hoses from interfering with the fuel level sending unit. We use a straight hose and made sure all lines cleared. The pump is secured by a simple twist lock, you do not need any tools to remove it.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:58 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lou- glad you finally are going to drive your GT3. See you at bumpy Pocono.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:52 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911
wow !!

another thing to worry about.

I was at the Summit Point event -- it was HOTTTTT !!!! (brutal, in fact)
My '04 GT3 didn't falter but maybe it will next time?

What is the feeling out there? Should this hose be replaced as a Preventative Maintenance gesture?
And should we replace it with the stock Porsche hose, or use a better one (like the Volvo one mentioned above) or what?

Does anyone know what the racing teams use? 24 hours at Daytona must put some stress on this hose, right?

thats a good question, let me check on my cup. Cause that sucker was def put through some stress...

Good meeting you btw!!

FVE. Im sorry you couldnt get running this weekend man. I know the guys did everything they could to get you back.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:54 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kbc993
I had the same problem in my 2003 996 Cup at the club race at Sebring. I took the damage hose to the Porsche Motorsports Parts trailer and the technicians comment was, "they fail all the time". He recommend that we replace ALL the rubber hoses with teflon fuel hose like the ones on the pump. The 180 degree bend in the hose is there to keep the upper hoses from interfering with the fuel level sending unit. We use a straight hose and made sure all lines cleared. The pump is secured by a simple twist lock, you do not need any tools to remove it.
Are you talking about the clear, accordion looking hoses on the pump? Where might I source one that would be a good fit to replace the rubber hose?

Looking to do this as a PM item- don't want to get stranded!
Old 07-17-2010, 11:14 PM
kbc993
Advanced

Yes, we use a hose from a pump in the shop. I will check with my mechanic for a source of new lines.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:39 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

I'd sure like to know the part number of the Volvo hose, or other hose which will fit right into my '04 GT3.

I hope someone will be able to find it out, and let us all know.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:25 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

I looked for the Volvo hose and its part number for about an hour Friday with little result. It was part of a "kit" that comes with several other bits of hose and misc clamps. I just have not found the right one yet. I am no parts guy - and I just cant wrestle one of the staff away from the paying gig, but I am working on it.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:51 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

I would imagine if/when one of us can get to a Volvo parts counter, you show the guy your failed piece, or a picture from above, and he'll know what to look up.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:45 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Okay! I told you I was not much of a parts man... This is a SAAB part not Volvo (sorry - my bad). The hose in question comes in a kit WITH a fuel pump. But the hose in this kit that fits our cars exactly is rarely (if ever) used. Within this kit are three such hose lengths - and the angled hose is the winner.

Scan Tech # 51.22022 / SAAB # 9321621

Like I said, you just need the hose from the kit (its perfect) so talk your local vendor into just giving you the hose.

http://www.scantechproducts.com/carp...-50.5142.1.php
Old 07-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is this a maintaince thing or a rare failure?

Quick Reply: fuel pump hose--failure