Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"rears wear twice as fast" = justification for second set of rear wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Double that, Rob. Try towing your car to a far away track only to cord your tires on the first day. Now you need two sets of everything. I just couldn't imagine running Hoosiers on day 1 and then having to go to a backup set of Nittos or worse - PS2 on day 2.
Been there done that and it ain't fun!

Cording tires at a far track is a little worse than not having 'wets' after a long haul/drive.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:23 PM
V
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CT03911
As noted here before they are cycled out before they cord so basically any minor wear differences don't matter anyways unless you are running them to the cords.

What I do see is they need to be swapped from side to side because all the tracks turn right. This will extend the life considerably and done in conjunction with brake bleeding and general inspection in the wheel wells is no big deal.
Timely thread, I just posted a similar question on another board.

I'm looking at the r888. Are you saying that tire life should be looked upon as number of HCs rather than threadwear? That seems to be the case with the 888s, they wear out before you cord them. But if you have a high hp RWD porsche and you wear the rears out twice as fast as the fronts, wouldn't one set of fronts live through two sets of rears? Or will simply the amount of heat cycles on the front wheels kill the grip in the end?

The idea is what the OP proposed: Get two sets of rear wheels and one set of fronts. It makes sense to me, as long as the one set of fronts don't heat cycle out??

TIA.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:35 PM
Agena
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run Hoosier R6's. I change out the fronts when the rears go, running them in sets; this way I don't have sticky rears with loose fronts. Running two sets of wheels.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:59 AM
V
Drifting

The R6s are more of a slick tire though and have a shorter life cycle/wear out much faster than the 888s. But thanks for the input.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:30 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

I run with MSPC's and the rears always wear faster than the fronts. I always switch out all four tires and use an older one for emergencies .
Old 01-25-2012, 04:00 AM
CT03911
Banned

Have to say, my tires wear very evenly. Dan Jocobs of Hairy Dog (CT) set my car up some time ago.
My front and rear tires wear perfectly. Front to back and inside out.
I ran MPSC's and then went to Nitto's. Never changed a thing.
Perfect.
Kudos to Dan and hey, khudo's to Nittos.
The number of heat cycles and track days I got out od Nitto's is sick. I know I learned way more about oversteer than I ever did with MPSC's.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:05 AM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=CT03911;9216242]Have to say, my tires wear very evenly. Dan ]

I have to agree with this. My tires have worn out pretty evenly. That's not to say all 4 tires were corded in the same track session, but when one was corded the other tires were in a close to corded situation.
Your wear problem might be driving style related or alignment related.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rob in VA
you need 6 sets one for each of below:
wets
R-comps
Slicks x 2 (one for race and one for qual)
street

Don't forget intermediates and the Rally-Spike ones..

Quick Reply: "rears wear twice as fast" = justification for second set of rear wheels?