Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 GT2/GT3 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum-103/)
-   -   Time to Rebuild the GT3 - what to buy? (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/460485-time-to-rebuild-the-gt3-what-to-buy.html)

blake 10-15-2008 01:30 AM

Time to Rebuild the GT3 - what to buy?

Guys,

Time to rebuild the GT3 that I put into a wall at the track back in July... In short, I need to replace the following AND will need to pull the engine:
-left muffler
-both catalytic converter's
-bumper
-bumper shocks
-bumper frame mounts
-exhaust support brackets
-water pump
-motor mount
-oil scavenge lines
-etc. etc.

What upgrades should I installr? Since the engine will be pulled, I am thinking of LWFW... I'll also upgrade the motor mounts and perhaps the rear wing (to Cup wing). I'll be talking to my mechanic tomorrow night, so want to set him in the right direction... Ideas?

Looking forward to getting back on the track next Spring!

Thanks,
-Blake ;)

mobilett 10-15-2008 02:30 AM

How about a center exhaust with a 997-style / 996-Cup rear bumper?

Holger B 10-15-2008 03:00 AM

Or the Euro bumper cover.

996FLT6 10-15-2008 03:38 AM

I would leave the exterior pretty stock other then an rs wing and do some things like lwf/cup pressure plate and disc/shorter r/p maybe a uprated lsd since stock one will wear down at some point. I go with aftermarket exhaust but dont expect ne performance cept for sound and liter weight. Rear toe links to replace the ecentric bolt type. Regards. mike

gt3'er 10-15-2008 11:46 AM

Mike,

Saw you up near twin peaks yesterday...car sounded great. What exhaust mods you got???

Cheers,

FR

viperbob 10-15-2008 12:18 PM

Blake,

I have the cats available form a GT3 that only had 6xxx miles on it, as well as the mufflers. Also have some of the other items (I know I have the bumper shocks, and I think even the rear crash bumper). I will check and see and let you know. Feel free to also give me a call

996FLT6 10-15-2008 12:47 PM

Finally had time to drive it fred- it's fab muffs with cat bypasses. Have u got the shifter and console delete done yet. Regards. Mike

Tom '74 911 10-15-2008 05:49 PM

Hi Blake -
Glad to hear that your car is repairable. Can't wait to see you on the track next spring! I sent you an email a week or so ago . . . did you get it, or was it lost in space?

Tom
(from SV, Idaho)

Carnerd 10-15-2008 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by 996FLT6 (Post 5903024)
Finally had time to drive it fred- it's fab muffs with cat bypasses. Have u got the shifter and console delete done yet. Regards. Mike

Hey Mike-

Do they cat by-pass pipes noticeably change the sound?

blake 10-15-2008 06:55 PM

Thanks guys! Some good ideas... I forgot about the rear control arms. I installed the TRGs (due to Austin's influence) and they made a huge difference...

Bob - I'll chat with my mechanic tonight and get back with you...

Hey Tom! I think your email was lost in space, or perhaps in a spam filter.... Sorry! Hope all is well with you. Send me an IM and we can exchange emails again...

-Blake ;)

ltcjmramos 10-15-2008 07:31 PM

If you have to change the front bumper, might as well do the RS bumper. Also, ask Bob to supply you the parts to cant the front radiator while you're in there. (And ask him to reply to my request for same. :) )

Carefree 10-15-2008 07:41 PM

Blake, glad to hear you will have it back and all fixed up. Since we all know this is on your "dime" I am glad to see fellow Rennlisters like Viper Bob helping out with some low milage items!
Have them chech the LSD, they don't seem to last all that long.

Again, glad to hear you will be back soon.

viperbob 10-15-2008 10:19 PM

Joe - Give me a buzz on my cell. I do not see a message from you.

Just got a Cupcar bumper in for a 996 conversion to a third canted radiator.. These are always fun...

CWay27 10-15-2008 10:54 PM

How much do yo want for the front cup bumper?? You can either post it here or PM me. Thanks

996FLT6 10-16-2008 03:54 AM

Colby with stock mufflers and cat bypass no problem passing sound at ls. With fab muffler/catbypass- no way. Catbypass on stock cans just make it abit throatier but since it is less restrictive made the stock cans made a whooshing sound when off throttle meaning stock cans are restrictive. With fabs didnt get ne of that. I'm talking normal street driving though not on track. At track too many things running in my head i dont give a crap about whooshing sounds : ). Mike PS- some have gotten CEL with cat bypass I have not gotten one yet and i didn't do nething with o2 sensors just plug where they suppose too. Catbypass saves total of 20 lbs. Stock cats weigh 15 lbs each cat bypass weigh 5 lbs each- u do the math. Fab mufflers maybe 25 lbs total compared to stock.