Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HANS model for GT3 seat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I upgraded mine to the slider system and it's much better.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:47 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up mine at Speedware...

they have a sale last year where you draw a ticket on the way in and the ticket says 10%, 20%, 30% or 40% off... buy whatever and use your ticket...

So I scored the Hans with qd tethers at 30% off

Old 09-04-2008, 02:27 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,761 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnerd
I've been to Wine Country quite a few times in the last month (4 or 5 times) and each time i try on the standard sport and CF HANS models to see if the additional $300 or so is worth losing the extra 1lb between the two. I decided on the standard sport model, not just b/c it was $300 cheaper but because the wings on the shoulder yokes are noticably bigger to help the belts stay on.
the difference is not 1 lbs. otherwise your should would be hurting.

but it's good to try them on to see how strong your neck/shoulder muscle is, the sore shows up after 300 back to back track miles. i run the professional series HANS, since i have no muscles i need all the help i can get by reducing wt.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:31 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

TRY the QD, not everyone likes them.

try the thing IN YOUR car. learn how you get in and out. some put them on outside the car then get in. i get in the car, then put them on. my helmet is NEVER detached from HANS. i put them on together.

how you put them on will affect if you want QD or not. some argues that your harness may track your QD and may accidentally open it. i HEARD it, can't proof it and think the chance is tiny. i dont have QD b/c i would never use it (i do not detach HANS from helmet, unless stored).

i also take helmet/hans off in the car before exit. i can also exit the car with all that equipment on my head in a hurry in case of emergency.

remember you use HANS in the car. so try it on and off with the car. see how much your head can turn blah blah... i dont like the sliding tethers, but that's me.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:06 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
the difference is not 1 lbs. otherwise your should would be hurting.

but it's good to try them on to see how strong your neck/shoulder muscle is, the sore shows up after 300 back to back track miles. i run the professional series HANS, since i have no muscles i need all the help i can get by reducing wt.
Really? Do you know what the weight difference between the two is? Tony at Wine Country told me that it was only a lb?
Old 09-04-2008, 11:04 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Really? Do you know what the weight difference between the two is? Tony at Wine Country told me that it was only a lb?
what i mean is that the difference should be less than 1 lbs.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:00 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try the thing IN YOUR car. learn how you get in and out. some put them on outside the car then get in. i get in the car, then put them on. my helmet is NEVER detached from HANS. i put them on together.

how you put them on will affect if you want QD or not. some argues that your harness may track your QD and may accidentally open it. i HEARD it, can't proof it and think the chance is tiny. i dont have QD b/c i would never use it (i do not detach HANS from helmet, unless stored).

i also take helmet/hans off in the car before exit. i can also exit the car with all that equipment on my head in a hurry in case of emergency.

remember you use HANS in the car. so try it on and off with the car. see how much your head can turn blah blah... i dont like the sliding tethers, but that's me.

very good advice...

I got QDs in case of emergency or extraction etc (god forbid) two quick pulls and that thing is off...

I have difficulty getting in and out of the car with all of the stuff on... I "suit up" in the car and "remove it all" prior to egress...

I have had my QD accidentally caught up and released during a session... this "issue" is easily overcome by taking care when clipping in to put the thethers behind you or some I know have shortened the tethers...
Old 09-04-2008, 01:54 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent advice as always Mooty. Plan on trying out the various connection systems before deciding which way to go. QD may not be necessary as you say if you take it on and off with the Helmut as a unit so I'll need to spend some time with it to figure out the method I prefer for getting everthing on and off.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are 3 HANS models:

Pro Series, carbon fiber, super lightweight $1200?

Extra Series, carbon fiber $865?

Sport Series, plastic (newest of product line) $700?

The diff between Sport and Extra feels like 3lbs when you hold them, but it's about a 1lb heavier model.

The diff between Extra and Pro series is 6-8oz as claimed by Jim Downing (HANS guy)

Wish I came up with this idea, $700 for injection moulded plastic with some hardware, wow what a margin!
Old 09-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Austin
There are 3 HANS models:

Pro Series, carbon fiber, super lightweight $1200?

Extra Series, carbon fiber $865?

Sport Series, plastic (newest of product line) $700?

The diff between Sport and Extra feels like 3lbs when you hold them, but it's about a 1lb heavier model.

The diff between Extra and Pro series is 6-8oz as claimed by Jim Downing (HANS guy)

Wish I came up with this idea, $700 for injection moulded plastic with some hardware, wow what a margin!
I think the same thing every time i try one on. And they've cornered the market pretty well so they are set!
Old 09-05-2008, 12:53 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mjb
Excellent advice as always Mooty. Plan on trying out the various connection systems before deciding which way to go. QD may not be necessary as you say if you take it on and off with the Helmut as a unit so I'll need to spend some time with it to figure out the method I prefer for getting everthing on and off.
watch me how i strap myself in the car tomorrow.
also watch how eric, jerry, carlos do it. i am sure we all have our methods. see what suits you.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:42 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts

I use the QD because I instruct quite often, and most of my students don't have 5/6 pts. Also, I like to have the ability to turn my head to see more traffic, etc., so taking off the HANS in those circumstances has advantages.

Quick Reply: HANS model for GT3 seat?