Sponsored by:

DIY Brake Flush Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 10:37 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 579 Posts
Default DIY Brake Flush Question

Are there any special procedures for doing a brake fluid flush?

Dealer wanted another $225 to do it and that seemed a little high.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:49 AM
mxdave74
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A simple job the should cost you less that $30 of Motul RPF600 and an hour of your time. Buy a Motive Power Bleeder. With it, once you have each wheel off, flushing each corner becomes a 5 minute job.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:24 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by mxdave74
A simple job the should cost you less that $30 of Motul RPF600 and an hour of your time. Buy a Motive Power Bleeder. With it, once you have each wheel off, flushing each corner becomes a 5 minute job.
Thanks!
Old 11-21-2007, 02:59 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,757 Likes on 2,359 Posts

bleed it like any other car. two ppl method or motiv bleeder.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:59 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I put mine up on 4 stands so I can have all 4 wheels off and then it's a 15 minute job for the whole shootin' match. Pax Rear, Driver Rear, Pax Front, Driver Front. Outer nipple then inner on all.

Buy a motive power bleeder and it makes the process VERY easy for 1 person. Just make sure you have enough fluid at all times in the bleeder.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:20 AM
Boulder GT3
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
I put mine up on 4 stands so I can have all 4 wheels off and then it's a 15 minute job for the whole shootin' match. Pax Rear, Driver Rear, Pax Front, Driver Front. Outer nipple then inner on all.

Buy a motive power bleeder and it makes the process VERY easy for 1 person. Just make sure you have enough fluid at all times in the bleeder.
+1. The Motiv Power Bleeder surpasses penicillin as a significant discovery. I always use a turkey baster (note to self: tell wife before Thanksgiving) to pull the fluid out of the reservoir first. I also just fill the reservoir after each wheel. A little risky as you MUST check it after each wheel but that way I don't have to clean the bleeder or worry about any contaminants in it.

Assume the fluid is like acid on any painted or coated surface. Cover everything first and don't spill or drip.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:28 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,757 Likes on 2,359 Posts

that's how i do it.

no kidding. i didn't and what a major PIA to fix it.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:30 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I did that ONCE, just once, and that was all I needed to learn from. I opened the clutch bleed valve and got fluid on my hand and couldn't get the valve tightened and ALL the fluid went through plus a nice amount of air. Now I have 2 liters at all times in the bleeder. Maybe overkill, but great insurance!
Old 11-21-2007, 09:40 AM
Boulder GT3
Racer

I did that ONCE, just once, and that was all I needed to learn from. I opened the clutch bleed valve and got fluid on my hand and couldn't get the valve tightened and ALL the fluid went through plus a nice amount of air. Now I have 2 liters at all times in the bleeder. Maybe overkill, but great insurance!
Ditto on the one time mistake of pushing air into the system. It seems like I went through a gallon of fluid getting it out. I like flushing the brakes myself. Gives me a good chance to do a visual on ducts, suspension, rotors and so on. Great for piece of mind.

Quick Reply: DIY Brake Flush Question