Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

correct bracket for Porsche GT3 Clubsport Fire Extinguisher?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 08:13 PM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default correct bracket for Porsche GT3 Clubsport Fire Extinguisher?

Does anybody know what bracket is needed for GT3 Clubsport Fire Extinguisher as pictured on Gert's site to be used in GT3'04 with euro GT3 seats?

I got the extinguisher, but not sure about the bracket. Please, help.

Thank you in advance.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:56 AM
RS Patrik
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bracket is included.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:29 AM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Patrik, can you clarify, please: I'm talking about part #996-722-115-70 Fire extinguisher(which looks like the one from Gert's site). Is the bracket included with this part #?
Old 09-19-2007, 08:31 AM
RS Patrik
Racer

Should be. Was included with the car as well as in Gert's package.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:11 AM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got one from Gert a couple months back, but I really don't remember about the bracket. At the time I took a pick of the package.
If I were you I would PM him about that.

Last edited by zicoramone; 09-22-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:29 AM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you, I will check with Gert and post my findings.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:33 AM
PJ911C2
Track Day

Same thing found in California.
Stuttgart Performance
Old 10-15-2007, 09:22 PM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm lost - I ordered fire extinguisher part# 996-521-607-00 - it looks like the one on the picture from Carnewal and from Stuggart Performance. The extinguisher came with a bracket with three holes in it, but I don't understand how the bracket is attached to floor or seat. I hope I am not supposed to drill the floor. Please, help.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:34 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by small
but I don't understand how the bracket is attached to floor or seat. I hope I am not supposed to drill the floor. Please, help.
The GT3 with the Clubsport option came out with a pre-installed piece to attach the brackets. If you don't want to drive around with the extinguisher the carpet floor perfect dissimulates it. Maybe you have to drill the floor, but that's not a problem IMO.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:35 AM
EdwinLee
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

ROW GT3s have a mounting plate, pre-driiled with holes, welded to the passenger foot well for the fire extinguisher. Us very unlucky folks in NA weren't good enough for Porsche so our cars were not manufactured with the mounting plates for the fire extinguisher and roll cage. I guess Porsche thought us North Americans weren't going to track our cars like others around the world. By what I have noticed on this forum many of us like to track our GT3 and have great enjoyment doing it. PORSCHE ARE YOU READING THIS!!!

I have attached a picture (right-hand drive 997 GT3 RS) of what Porsche does for ROW customers. Notice the lines in the carpet for the front section of the roll cage as well as the two circles in the middle for the fire extinguisher.

Hope this helps out.
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2007, 04:34 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran into this exact problem awhile back. You have the correct fire extinguisher and bracket, the problem is your car .

There are pre-drilled holes in ROW cars and screws underneath the carpet that are topped with a plastic cap. (996) US/Canada cars do not have this.

You might want to go with a good fabricator that can make something that is half seat mount (like you see with all the aftermarket extinguisher installs) and half that can accomodate the mount designed for the OEM clubsport extinguisher.

In the end, many of us that track with US spec cars opted to go for the aftermarket parts, especially since there are better extinguishers out there, in particular, Halon, that does not leave a residue.

After all is said and done, I found the clubsport extinguisher to be too large anyway, the purpose is to put out a fire in your immediate surroundings or on your person and then get the hell out of the car, a smaller (LIGHTER) bottle will do just fine for that and is better in a tight situation.

Good luck.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:04 AM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you, guys.

Anybody had a bracket manufactured for this extinguisher to work with the seat mount?

Tom, what is the Halon+aftermarket part you found that works? I might return this extinguisher back and get that combo instead.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:11 AM
v12man
Instructor

Personally - I think I would consider trying to mount the extinguisher on a seat based mount bracket like the one Sharkwerks sell - that will give you significantly more passenger foot space - when your wife/partner catches her ankle bone on the catches for the strap then you will understand what I mean. (don't ask how I know this - lets just say there was some cursing done... and blood cleanup after - those straps are sharp)

BUT - anything smaller is pretty much USELESS for putting out a fire -
I keep a FE in my daily drive, and being a nice helpful chap I have twice tried to put out fires on other vehicles (Africa has more than it's fair share of less than roadworthy vehicles)- first time was with a 1.5kg unit (3.3 pounds) waste of time - second time was a 2.5kg unit, and that was better but not quite enough - now I have a 5kg unit in the vehicle and when I try again I will report back.

I think the most likely use of FE in a car is to help someone else - in which case, the bigger the better - 5kg MINIMUM to be even halfway effective.

Of course a smaller one handily mounted to help yourself is a good thing - just make sure you can get to it when upside down and in your harness (I have never tried that and hope never to have to) and you are able to get a good grip on it so you don't drop it when you most need it. With that in mind, the Werner is not much use where it is factory mounted in the clubsport - you can't get to it when tied in, but it is still good to have around for helping someone.

G
Old 10-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Pics of my setup. If you do a search, you can read about the various components. Definitely get Halon or some derivation of that.
Attached Images    
Old 10-16-2007, 01:26 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by v12man
Personally - I think I would consider trying to mount the extinguisher on a seat based mount bracket like the one Sharkwerks sell - that will give you significantly more passenger foot space - when your wife/partner catches her ankle bone on the catches for the strap then you will understand what I mean. (don't ask how I know this - lets just say there was some cursing done... and blood cleanup after - those straps are sharp)
Hey V12man.. thanks the mention and this is how ours works:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=11

Here's a pic installed:

Quick Reply: correct bracket for Porsche GT3 Clubsport Fire Extinguisher?