Sponsored by:

GT3- 400 mile report

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 01:41 PM
AmirGT2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3- 400 mile report

I finally picked up my car on Wednesday and have put 400 miles on it in the past 2 1/2 days. This car is absolutely amazing!

After only 400 miles, I can honestlty say that this is the best 911 and second best Porsche I have ever owned. Everything about it is pure Porsche. As disappointed as I was in Porsche with my 997TT, they have made up for it and then some with the new GT3.

The steering Feel is very precise yet nicely weighted. Much more so than my 996GT2 or some of the 996GT3s I have driven. I took it for a little canyon run in Malibu yesterday and it handles like a mid engined car. Very neutral and virtually no understeer. Where the old GT2/3s were very lively, you could still really feel the rear end weight bias making the steering feel a little light at times compared to the likes of the CGT, Stradale or F430. Not so with the new GT3, it just hunkers down and pulls you through a corner or sweeper as if it's literally on rails. No body roll whatsoever.

The next big surprise was the sound. I would rank it right below the CGT and on par with the F430. Beautiful music.
The ride, in regular mode is pretty comparable to the GT2 and in the sport mode it's closer to the Stradale. Overall very compliant for what you are getting, performance wise.

The only thing this car needs (in the U.S. anyways) is a roll cage and the CGT seats and it will be a jewel on the track.

Kudos to Porsche. They have restored my faith in the brand. They can build all of the Cayennes, Panameras, and softer Turbos if they want. As long as they move the GT series cars in the same direction as the new GT3, then I will be a Porschephile for Life!!!

Amir
Old 11-24-2006, 03:37 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Amir,

Congradulations on the new GT3. It sounds like one sweet ride. Can we see some pics please?
Old 11-24-2006, 04:08 PM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

congrats on the car Amir

so how does it compare to the stradale?
Old 11-24-2006, 07:30 PM
AmirGT2
Instructor

Thanks guys. I will try and take some pictures later today and post them.

Doc- The feel is very similar to the CS. I haven't really had a chance to open it up yet so I couldn't tell you power wise but that "specialness" is difinitely there.

Amir
Old 11-24-2006, 07:37 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Amir, what didn't you like about the 997TT?

Looking forward to see pics of the new GT3.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:42 PM
AmirGT2
Instructor

Holger,

The TT was very fast and extremely capable but it was just too numb for my taste. I also found it to have way too much turbo lag compared to my 996 GT2. Honestly, to me the 997TT, even with all of the hype about the VTG, was a step back from the 996 GT2 in terms of it's power delivery. But I'm sure the tuners have already taken care of that.

Amir
Old 11-25-2006, 01:24 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Amir,

i just picked mine up tonight and I agree it is very agressive (like a 996 GT3 on steroids), reminiscent of the GT2 and that real race car feel. The sunroof is a non issue!

Tomorrow is going to be fun day!
Old 11-25-2006, 01:55 PM
AmirGT2
Instructor

Originally Posted by Colm
Amir,

i just picked mine up tonight and I agree it is very agressive (like a 996 GT3 on steroids), reminiscent of the GT2 and that real race car feel. The sunroof is a non issue!

Tomorrow is going to be fun day!

Congrats. Enjoy it in the best of health.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:33 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

Congrats on the car Amir, I assume an RS will follow when they come? I have you to thank for my number 1 position for an RS (due to your post to get in line early this year).

Thanks,

JCM
Old 11-26-2006, 05:05 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Congratulations!
So, what was your first favourite porsche you've ever owned, out of curiousity?
Old 11-26-2006, 01:50 PM
stuka
Pro

Amir,

I am 6'2" with 32" inseam, in the 996 Turbo with sunroof, and with the factory sports seats, I have to set the seats to the lowest position to clear my helmet.

Unfortunately, the GT3 seats are set at the mid point between lowest and highest position of sports seats.

This means, for me, a practical reason why the 997 GT3 sunroof is a deal killer, since I simply will not clear my helmet if I put in the GT3 seats in the 997 GT3.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:02 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't believe it, unless your body is rather unique.

There is 6 inches from the lowest position (adaptive sports seats) to the s/r. My helmet adds about two inches, and I'm 5'11, so that gives an inch to spare, without even using the cheating possibilities (moving the seat back slighty rearward).

Maybe you have a problem, the preponderance of data suggests not, but to be sure you need to go (helmet on head) to the nearest dealer and try it out. Anything else is inconclusive.

With the 996 GT3 seats there was an option for seat lowering rails, as well, to get an additional 25mm, I had that in my previous car, and again plenty of room.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:14 PM
AmirGT2
Instructor

JCM - Congrats on the RS. I already have my #1 spot on the RS as well.

Brett- The Carrera GT of course.

Stuka- I am the same size as you and my helmet clears easily with the regular sports seats. I'm not too sure about the adaptives seats however. My biggest problem is not the sunroof but rather the extra thick padding on the headrest. It tilts your head forward as it pushes up to the back of the helmet. That's why I'm putting the CGT seats in mine as soon as they become available.
Don't cheat yourself out of this car because of the sunroof. Where there is a will there is a way. Besides it's a masterpiece!

Amir
Old 11-26-2006, 10:37 PM
stuka
Pro

I don't believe it, unless your body is rather unique.

There is 6 inches from the lowest position (adaptive sports seats) to the s/r. My helmet adds about two inches, and I'm 5'11, so that gives an inch to spare, without even using the cheating possibilities (moving the seat back slighty rearward).

Maybe you have a problem, the preponderance of data suggests not, but to be sure you need to go (helmet on head) to the nearest dealer and try it out. Anything else is inconclusive.

With the 996 GT3 seats there was an option for seat lowering rails, as well, to get an additional 25mm, I had that in my previous car, and again plenty of room.
What is your inseam?

Long torso is the problem, which is why I posted that I have 32" inseam. I don't clear E36 and E46 M3's with sunroof, and with the seats at the lowest position in the Turbo, I had less than an inch of clearance.

I have the GT3 seats in my GT2 with no sunroof, and I know for a fact that the rail is higher than the lowest position of the regular sports seat, because I barely clear it, eventhough the sunroof less roof should give me more head room.

Or perhaps you would like some photographic evidence? That can be arranged.

Inseam makes all the difference.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:05 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

My inseam is the same. So, you should be good to go, the math still works.

Do you have the lowering option with your GT3 seats. it makes a big difference.

Read Amir's comments above, and let me endorse them.."this car is a masterpiece". If you can't get the RS you want this car, and like he said where there is will there is a way!.

I took another drive today and went...... Oh Lordy Lord!

To all those who say Porsche has lost the formula, I say B/S.

Quick Reply: GT3- 400 mile report