Sponsored by:

First post, comments on my 997GT3 order

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 01:16 AM
drqiman
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First post, comments on my 997GT3 order

Hi everyone! This is my first post so I will keep it brief. I have been a 911 enthusiast since 1986 when I purchased a new 911 Targa. My first exposure to 911's was in 1985 when one early Saturday morning my neighbor pulled out of his garage in a beautiful blue 911 coupe. The sound of the exhaust and the shape of the car captivated me. Several months later I was the proud owner of 86' Targa model. The demands of a young family led me to sell this wonderful car 3 years later. Since then, I have been wanting another one.

It took many years but I can now afford one. I have a March 07' build spot for a White 997 GT3. I have chosen only 3 options:bi-xenons, self-dimming mirrors and thicker, leather, steering wheel. I plan to do weekend driving, DE's and some track events when I feel ready.

I look forward to sharing my experince after I take delivery!
Old 10-17-2006, 01:30 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

great options. i like it stripped myself too.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:39 AM
john0719
Racer

Originally Posted by drqiman
Hi everyone! This is my first post so I will keep it brief. I have been a 911 enthusiast since 1986 when I purchased a new 911 Targa. My first exposure to 911's was in 1985 when one early Saturday morning my neighbor pulled out of his garage in a beautiful blue 911 coupe. The sound of the exhaust and the shape of the car captivated me. Several months later I was the proud owner of 86' Targa model. The demands of a young family led me to sell this wonderful car 3 years later. Since then, I have been wanting another one.

It took many years but I can now afford one. I have a March 07' build spot for a White 997 GT3. I have chosen only 3 options:bi-xenons, self-dimming mirrors and thicker, leather, steering wheel. I plan to do weekend driving, DE's and some track events when I feel ready.

I look forward to sharing my experince after I take delivery!
Funny how we are moved by the simpliest of things. Have fun with your new car when it arrives.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:39 AM
TonyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm sure that you will have a great time with your car. If you can change your order I would highly recommend cruise control. Sounds silly but this car is very hard to drive at normal highway speeds, so the cruise helps you avoid citations.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:55 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

i believe cruise control is std in 997 gt3
why opt for the leather steering wheel vs std alcantera which helps make interior differ from std 997?
Old 10-17-2006, 01:02 PM
gweedo911
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not PCCBs?
Old 10-17-2006, 01:33 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

no sport chrono..... keep alcantra wheel, what color?

ask see if they can delete sunroof ( kidding)
Old 10-17-2006, 04:13 PM
drqiman
Rennlist Member

I will checkwith the salesman about the cruise control and add it if it's not included. He suggested the thicker, leather steering wheel because he thought it would be better for grip during track sessions. Some have voiced concern about the wear characteristics of the alcantara. I am open to more input on the steering wheel. Regarding the pccb's I doubt that i will notice the difference and many members have said that the reliability is questionable. I think that if at some point I feel I need more brake performance and a lighter system, I would probably go for the Brembo GTR system which is almost as light and offers the same or better performance but no reliability issues. Regardless, I am also open to suggestions in regards to the brakes.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:28 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

Congratulations! This is pretty much how I plan to set up my GT3 when my turn comes around.

I agree on the perceived problems with the alcantara wheel. After a year or two, especially with a lot of track use, I believe the alcantara wheel will look worse for wear compared to the all leather sport wheel.

I'd be interested in a pro/con discussion about the PCCB brakes as well. I pretty much replace the rotors and pads about once a year on the C4S. I know it's a little ****, but I do like to replace both rotors and pads at the same time when the pads get worn. I am not sure that the increased longevity, less weight of the PCCB's will make up for the HUGE price difference when replacing them. I am interested to see what those that have PCCB's and track frequently have to say. Or what those who elected not to have PCCB's and track frequently have to say as well.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:25 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Palting
Congratulations! This is pretty much how I plan to set up my GT3 when my turn comes around.

I agree on the perceived problems with the alcantara wheel. After a year or two, especially with a lot of track use, I believe the alcantara wheel will look worse for wear compared to the all leather sport wheel.

I'd be interested in a pro/con discussion about the PCCB brakes as well. I pretty much replace the rotors and pads about once a year on the C4S. I know it's a little ****, but I do like to replace both rotors and pads at the same time when the pads get worn. I am not sure that the increased longevity, less weight of the PCCB's will make up for the HUGE price difference when replacing them. I am interested to see what those that have PCCB's and track frequently have to say. Or what those who elected not to have PCCB's and track frequently have to say as well.
It's funny cause my mechanic always told me to avoid putting new pads with new rotors. Always try to either put new pads with "used" rotors or vice versa.

Wow!! White GT3 with no fancy options, just how I like them.

IMHO Alcantara is amazing when driving with gloves. The contact of leather and Alcantara together is grippy. The problem is that you will not drive the car with gloves all the time and it does wear out. I've had numerous steering wheels (Momo/Sparco) and none of them lasted. Alcantara is synthetic but it still doesn't like water or even humidity. Sweaty hands or the fact that you'll be driving open window during DEs in the rain are all factors that will ruin the texture. I tried brushing them with a suede brush and nothing.......

Quick Reply: First post, comments on my 997GT3 order