Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 GT3 to get PSM!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 05:56 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call me evil, but if they completely change the character of the cars, thats wondeful for our residuals
Old 10-17-2005, 08:52 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AW
...Porsche if you read this, could you at least work on a button that completely remove PSM?
I'm guessing it's not gonna happen. Porsche lawyers aren't gonna expose the company to the same idiots demanding PSM on a GT3, as these people would expect their **** to be saved in every situation, PSM switched on or off. Expect PSM on the GT3 to intervene even when "off", just at a higher level - maybe even linked to the ejection seat thru the new sunroof.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:41 PM
frayed
Race Car

I thought I read somewhere that the 997 GT3 is getting a race version of PASM (note PSM)? But, I'm pretty deep into some Temparanillo at the moment, so perhaps its the grapes giving me misinformation. Hiccup.

Anyway, assuming it gets PSM, it's interesting to note the Porsche got it to work with an aggressive rear diff. IIRC, the anniv edition 996 got a PSM and an LSD, but that was a pretty mild LSD.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:57 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
I thought I read somewhere that the 997 GT3 is getting a race version of PASM (note PSM)? But, I'm pretty deep into some Temparanillo at the moment, so perhaps its the grapes giving me misinformation. Hiccup.
I finally understand your avatar .

BTW I believe you're right I think it is PASM. Either way I can only hope that they allow us (the drivers) to either accept or decline help from the engineers.

The thing I loved the most about the current GT3 is that you are the PSM, PASM, Yaw meter, Traction Control system on the car and two drivers can be 12 seconds apart on the same track on the same day and it all came down to the driver (and his or her attachments as David Hobbs would say).

Oh no I feel a rant coming...

Porsche if you're reading, start listening and build cars that your founders would recognize as their lineage and one's that they'd be proud of. Stop selling out to marketing. Do that with the "normal" models if you must (I know you can claim some sort of financial need) but please leave your "special" models for those of us who actually still enjoy driving cars that have way too much power, not enough grip and no damn CYA (Cover Your ***) button or electronic gadget to save you from being stupid and thinking you're Sacha Maasen or Lucas Luhr. At least make them options along with the sunroof and those that want to pimp your GT's can and those of us who want a real driver's car can still buy one from Porsche and not from other manufacturers like uh CHEVY!!! And please send at least 50 GT3 RS's/Cup street cars and let us have our fun!!!
Old 10-18-2005, 02:13 AM
AW
Pro

It would be really funny if they were to call the new PSM mode "racing mode" (a bit like the race button on the 360 CS). I can imagine the service advisers explaining why the car cannot be driven on a race track but features a racing mode....

AW
Old 10-18-2005, 02:41 AM
Super Darius 996TT
Intermediate

In August at the Nurburgring,Walter Rohrl tell us that the 997 Gt3 will have a special suspension system like PASM,but not PASM... he tell,that you can stiffen the suspensions to go on track..

but latest rumors doesn't talk of this suspension system..

so..

ciaoo
Old 10-18-2005, 03:13 AM
Costa
AutoX

Originally Posted by DanH
Call me evil, but if they completely change the character of the cars, thats wondeful for our residuals
It won't be a complete change in character, just an improvement (ie: no so good for residuals).
Old 10-18-2005, 08:12 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Costa
It won't be a complete change in character, just an improvement (ie: no so good for residuals).
DSG and PASM is going to be a fairly major change if they are silly enough to not offer a manual and an off switch!
Old 10-18-2005, 08:43 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

DSG is boring to drive
Old 10-18-2005, 09:45 AM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
DSG is boring to drive
Not a big fan of clutchless manuals as well. DSG, SMG, KGB, MSG et al. Bleh.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:07 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 582 Posts

Had a SMG M3 for a year or so. Got tired of it very quickly and longed for a manual again. The GT3 replaced it. Great car for the $$, but I'd never get the SMG again. Probably would have kept it longer if it was a regular 6 speed. Drove the DSG Audi TT, ok, but again just doesn't do it for me.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:34 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by frayed
Not a big fan of clutchless manuals as well. DSG, SMG, KGB, MSG et al. Bleh.
I do find the clacky paddly stuff OK, in the right car. So I'm quite happy in a two pedal Gallardo, for example. Its very logical, I have one foot for go and the other to stop, one set of fingers for upshifts and the other for down. It really simplifies things when driving extremely fast. Chatting with a friend the other day, he is installing a race ABS system in his team's endurance race car. I described it as 'brake and forget' and he said 'precisely', nice to have when racing at night in the wet.
I drove a beautiful rare and handbuilt GT car a few days ago. Were it not for the manual gearchange it would have been a totally immemorable car, sadly. Even the rather baulky change made the entire car more interesting.
If I lived in a country that made fast driving unfeasible, I would probably shun SMG/EGear as well.

R+C
Old 10-18-2005, 11:00 AM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
If I lived in a country that made fast driving unfeasible, I would probably shun SMG/EGear as well.

R+C
Fast driving or not in the US, on the street, I find clutchless trannys effective to disassociate the driver from the motoring experience. They are, however, fantastic on the track. Would love a DSG-type tranny on a track-only car.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:49 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

can we get the RS version stateside???????????
Old 10-18-2005, 02:43 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
...And please send at least 50 GT3 RS's/Cup street cars and let us have our fun!!!
I'd rather they didn't bring the RS here in so small numbers; to see all those awesome cars turned into garage queens is worse than not seeing them at all.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 to get PSM!