Sponsored by:

I had to sand the @#$%^& brake pads!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 09:18 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry I had to sand the @#$%^& brake pads!

Unbelievable! I just installed new rotors and Pagid RS-19 pads and they didn't fit. The last set fit just fine with the original rotors, and I mic'd the new set and they are the same thickness so WTF? Did RS-19s grow or something? I had to spend 45 minutes with a belt sander to get them to fit. The last thing that I want to do is to sand some of the life out of my $300+ brake pads. Has anyone else had this problem?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-26-2005, 09:31 PM
mds
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the pads have a thin anti-noise plate attached on the back? If so remove them.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:34 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

No Mike, they didn't. Just a thin layer of yellow paint. I don't have the anti-rattle disks installed either. They'd never fit that way.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:45 PM
mds
Pro

??? They are hanging up on the edge of the caliper and not the piston caps, right? On the front or rear, or both? Inside or outside, or both?
Old 03-26-2005, 10:37 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

They were not hanging on anything. They would not slid in past the ceramic piston caps because they were too thick. After sanding off about .5 mm or so per pad, they slid in very tightly. Maybe they are designed to work with the Cup Car rotor which is about 1 mm thinner, but that doesn't explain why the first set worked fine.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:46 AM
vegasgolf98
Racer

I had no problems with my RS-19's. Maybe someone put something in the wrong box, or it is a quality control issue?
Old 03-27-2005, 01:30 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So are you saying you took material off the back of the backing plate or the sides? I had to sand the sides so that my oranges would fit in the closer tolerance stoptech calipers, and I had to do a little bit to the rears for the stock calipers also. Did you compress the calipers all the way with the old pads before you removed them? A little bit out will hang it up.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:14 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

From time to time manufacturing tolerances/specs will be missed, either + or - . Pagid pads sometimes arive a little thicker than the previous set. We've seen this with Pagid#2405 RS14's (GT3 Rear, Pagid "Black"). It happens.

Another example is Tequipment roll bars, depending on some variable other than what the vendor receives for stock, some are harder to install than others.

What to do? Buy from a vendor who takes the extra time to QC their goods after they receive inventory and/or prior to shipping, sometimes an extra $10-15 is worth the lower stress levels.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:32 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Austin
From time to time manufacturing tolerances/specs will be missed, either + or - . Pagid pads sometimes arive a little thicker than the previous set. We've seen this with Pagid#2405 RS14's (GT3 Rear, Pagid "Black"). It happens.
I knew that I wasn't crazy.
What to do? Buy from a vendor who takes the extra time to QC their goods after they receive inventory and/or prior to shipping, sometimes an extra $10-15 is worth the lower stress levels.
Not an unabashed plug for your company, but I will give you a call next time I need pads & rotors. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:02 AM
MacGT3
Advanced

Installed Pagid RS19's last Thursday on my 05 GT3. Work done by a certified Porche Mechanic at the Dealership $$$$$$. Same problem on the rear pads. Would not fit!!!!

Mechanic had to remove antic squeak shims on the rears in order to install rear pads. Cars sounds awful. I mean awful. Squeaks so much that I have not driven it since bedding in the pads. If Pagids manufacturing specs allow for this level of inaccuracy, for a pad that is very expensive, then maybe we need to buy something else from someone else. We utilized installation instructions from Pagid, bevaled the pad edges, no luck...

For me, price is not the issue, POOR quality tolerances that turn my car into a squeaking joke that can be heard blocks away is.

My wife met me at the door when I got home that evening and wondered aloud what is wrong with the car!!!!!

Thanks Pagid for your exacting quality standards. You should be paying us to install and use these pads.

Quick Reply: I had to sand the @#$%^& brake pads!