Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Which car: GT3 or E60 M5?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 06:52 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

M-PHIB

that guy Phil has more than one inherent bias.

Not only does he own a Porsche, I think he sells Hummers.

But I do think his advice was unbiased concerning it's your money, and buying what you want.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:55 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I stick to my analogy. The M5 is a comfortable 4 door sedan. It is fast by virtue of a wonderful engine. On the other hand it is large, heavy and cannot match the agility of the GT3. Lap for an hour in both and tell me if the M5 still has brakes. One might say "that's stupid, how can you expect a fast sedan to stand up to the rigors of a race track". I would agree with that statement. It's a very fast sedan. The GT3 is close to a race car. Ask me which one I'd prefer for a ten hour drive on the highway and the answer is obvious the M5.
If you want a GT3 then you want to track the car. If you don't want/intend to track it, don't buy a GT3 - a TT would be a better choice.

For the record, I did not add the Hummer to the poll but it is kinda funny. If I *had* added something it would have been the Dodge SRT-10 Viper powered pickup truck which is also very fast and quite unlike a GT3.

Rgds,
Old 11-11-2004, 07:06 PM
M-Phibian
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So...not being sure which car to buy means someone is immature....while a moderator adding a choice to a poster's poll does not? Yes...great argument Phil. You're falling right in line with the others. Good for you.

Last edited by M-Phibian; 11-11-2004 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:07 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Scott,

Performance aside, this is THE difference (to me at least) between the GT3 and the E60 M5.

GT3: minimalists approach to fun driving, almost devoid of electronic gizmos.
E60 M5: The marketing-guys' approach to fast driving, more gizmo than a MB = a better car.

In the long run, the frustration of owning an E60 M5 (especially the first year run) will be a much worse ownership experience than owning the GT3. The E60 will be in the shop more than any Jag. made. Check out the boards for the new 6 and 7 series for confirmation.

I have an E39 M5 and a 993 RUF BTR. I swore I'd NEVER sell either. During the last three months, I've toyed with the thoughts of selling the M5. Seems like all the electronics conspired to fail one after the other. I will NEVER buy the E60, or newer, BMWs, unless I can strip them of the new 'technologies'.

The E60 M5 may (probably will) post great performance numbers, but they will be within 10% of the E39 M5 (similar torque numbers after all), and the GT3. What's missing in the numbers is the 'feel'. I doubt that the new M5 is a very much 'fun' car to drive. That being the case, I'd not tolerate the Bangle Butt, the idrive, the SMG only, the sterile interior, the lousy seats, and the 200 hours shop-time and buy one. But that just me.

CP
Old 11-11-2004, 07:08 PM
The Pope
Holy Guru
Rennlist
Registered Pontiff

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

I am praying for Divine Intervention lest you make the wrong choice, my son.

PS I ride around in a Hummer. It's Phat.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:09 PM
M-Phibian
Instructor

CP and Bob...excellent and thought provoking responses. That's what I'm looking for. Comparisons/thoughts from the people that know the GT3. Thank you. Your advice is very much appreciated.

Mike and Pope...yours is as well.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:11 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike, 'worst name' - are you kidding me? You know what they say, 'Everybody wants a hummer'
Old 11-11-2004, 07:18 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

what you have failed to mention is what do you want to do with this car.

If you will be spending a lot of time at the track, or driving twisty back roads flat out at dawn, then the GT3 is obviously your car.

If you are doing all kinds of general purpose driving, taking dates to dinner, doing long distance work or crossing the country then the M5 is your car.

Horses for courses.....name your course, then your choice is easy.

My 02cents worth, had an M3, sold it for the GT3. They are similar in very many ways, but the GT3 is more far satisfying to drive at the track. The M5 will compliment the M3 well, while the GT3 will hit the same note. If you'd asked me I'd have said keep the Pepperwagon, sell the M3 and get a GT3.

Also the ring times are completely irrelevant, they are manufacturers figures, not a true side by side comparisson with the same driver, same day, and most importantly, same tires.

Last edited by macfly; 11-11-2004 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:23 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

gee, I never thought of that

In which case, brilliant branding strategy.
(But then, if you're driving around with that name on your front, what does that mean?)

Back to helping Scott -- Buy the GT-3. Then sell the pepper and buy the new M-5. Best of both worlds.
Problem solved
Old 11-11-2004, 07:56 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

4 second difference is alot on the track plus imagine doing sessions more than an hour or more-gap gets bigger and bigger. But choose what you plan to do with the car. That I -drive thing would drive me nuts though-what were they thinking? Regards. Mike
Old 11-11-2004, 09:17 PM
KLZ
Racer

Lightbulb

If you are going to keep the M3 for sure... why not get a Porsche instead of having 2 "M" cars in the garage?! I found very boring when I had the E46 M3 cab and E39 M5 together in my garage back in 02'. The GT3 is one of the best P-cars I've driven..... I didn't drive my M5 since I took delivery of my GT3 in July (just my $0.02)
Old 11-11-2004, 09:39 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

The GT3 is superior (for my preferences and uses) to the TT
Old 11-11-2004, 09:40 PM
Captain
Track Day

This is an odd comparison. Few on this board, if any, have driven the E60. The paper stats suggest that the new M5 is really interesting technology. I've driven prior versions and it is pointless to compare, they are just totally different in form and function. I can't imagine that the new one is THAT dramaticallay different. The laws of physics come into play when you are comparing something that carries 33% more weight in metal. You have an additional 1,000+ lbs to move, slow and turn. The power to weight ratios may be similar (though still not the same). Meanwhile, for relatively little effort, you can RS your GT3 to 410 hp. Now do the math again.

The GT3 is so much more pure than the TT - no comparison there. I have never driven the CS but reckon it's closer. The real difference in the cars? The GT3 is loud. Raw turning crankshaft, high revving loud. Forget the radio, forget your cell phone. The clearance is nil. Getting in and out of the GT3 seat is a pain for any normal size human. Every parking lot ramp is requires careful recon. There are plenty of buttons on the dash, but most are blanked off because that little electronic 996 gadget doesn't come in the GT3. Every day commuting in traffic? only for the stubborn.

Having said all of that, the only thing that might make me consider selling the car is the 997 variant (if ever made available).
Old 11-11-2004, 09:41 PM
Hans GT3
Track Day

I'm big M-fan as well. have owned 2 E30 M3s, still own an E36 M3 track car, and sold my E46 M3 ( which was as modified as you could get for the street) before I decided to get the GT3. It still wouldn't make sense to me to have kept the E46. Sell what you've got, get the GT3 and a new M5, unless you do any offroading, of course. I do my daily offroading on a Jeep, & use my cash where I enjoy it the most...on the asphalt.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:41 PM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

M, I completely understand your frustration with the ridicuous comments coming from the board. Yes in terms of performance, the two are similar. I also have read 4-7 second differences in ring times. And i understand you are not looking for someone to choose your car, but rather offer their educated imput. Yes, in terms of outright performance, the M5 is really not that fra off from the GT3, in the numbers. However, numbers are not everything. My E36 M3 will run circles around my GT3 at the track, but its not nearly as fun as the GT3. The M5 will have the electronic wizardry that is unfortunately bmw's forte. What will you use the car for? Are extra seats useful? Will you track it? Cost of ownership? Do you plan to modify the vehicles? The M5, in the end, no matter how great its performance is, will drive like a luxury sedan and will fell as such. It may pull great lap times, but you are not a BMW test driver. YOU are likely to do better in the 911. In a sense, it IS like a 747 and an F22. The M5 will never be as fast as a GT3, and if you consider mods, the GT3 has ten times the potential the M5 does. Its all about preference. Personally, hearing a v10 revv to 8250 would do it for me ^_^
Good luck regardless, as neither would likely dissapoint.

Quick Reply: Which car: GT3 or E60 M5?