Sponsored by:

NO ONE will believe this!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 10:39 PM
Philip in AL
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO ONE will believe this!

Just got the GT3 back after 5 days of Dyno tesing BMC filter and new unichip product (total plug and play, no wire cuting). UNREAL!!!!

Not only do the seat of the pants feel tell the story, but here is the low down, I'll upload all dyno sheets later when I have time. Before I post this, I have to tell you, I didn't believe it until I drove the car; WOW!

Land and Sea Dyno-Max 2000 Pro

Numbers are "peaks"

base run: at 7,100 RPM= 321.6 HP and 237.95 Torque (ft-lb)
after mods: at 7,100 RPM= 391.3 HP and 289.31 Torque (ft-lb)

I know this sounds IMPOSSIBLE, but I'm telling you, this is a very reputable tuner and I have all of the dyno sheets to prove it! If you could only feel the difference. More later.

Philip
Old 08-04-2004, 11:26 PM
JimBob Jumpback
That's Bubba Guru to you

i noz hows ya feel der bubba fillup. iz hav it un repitdable sorzes dat da moon iz mad outta cheez, but noone beleaves me, eyether. iz suspeck, but dont know fer sure, dat itz a konspiricy led by da cheez industree. iffin every bubba knew da moon was maid outta cheez, de woodn't buy anymoor cheeze frum dem kalifornia er wisconssin cowz, now wood dey?

Yer fren,

JimBob
Old 08-05-2004, 12:00 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Wow, sounds very impressive!!
How much was the upgrade?
Old 08-05-2004, 12:02 AM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well...I hate to say it but your subject line says it all. Would still like to see the dyno charts though. FWIW - I looked back at the other two dynos reported on here.

Rockitman - 348 RWHP - no chip and not very many miles on the car either as I recall (maybe 1k?)
Karl S - 358 before the unichip and 368 afterwards.

Did you witness the dyno tests?
Old 08-05-2004, 12:48 AM
Philip in AL
Pro

There is one slight snag! I just got back from having a little fun. At just over 7,000 rpm's, it fells like the rev limiter (rather abruptly) kicks in and the car stumbles and loses power. At one point, just after it happened, the "check engine" light came on and the car wouldn't rev above about 1,000 rpm's. I pulled over, turned it off and on again and it now runs fine (except for coming apart at about 7,000 rpms. Needless to say, it goes back first thing in the morniing!!
Old 08-05-2004, 01:14 AM
Philip in AL
Pro

here are two of many

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/dyno_002.jpg

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/dyno_001.jpg

It appears that the best way to see them, is to pull them up, hit print preview and then enlarge them.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:16 AM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

woah, I've never heard of gains like that before, that's insane your car is over 400HP and it's not even turbocharged

More Power to you!

Andy
Old 08-05-2004, 04:38 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Stock numbers look low and the modded numbers look a little high.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:52 AM
Philip in AL
Pro

I realize that it seems very odd; however, even if his dyno were off by 20% (and I doubt it, because the base peak rwhp of 321.6 is the average of 3 runs and works out to around 379.5 at the fly), the actual NUMBERS by themselfs don't matter. It is the base vs final run that counts.

Anyway you look at it; the "stock" car turned number A (321.6), didn't move off the dyno and no dyno adjustments were made, parts were installed and then the same car on the same dyno with the same settings was run again (a lot of tuning of coarse) and showed 391.3!

In other words, it's the increase that's important, not the actual numbers. Unichip was very interested in the results. This is a new version and has never been run on a GT3 before.

I still don't believe the actual figures! I personally don't think that it's possible to show a hp gain of even 30 rwhp, in a normally aspirated engine without taking it apart. And I'm real upset about the abrupt loss of power at 7,000 rpms while driving last night. The car is scheduled to go back in at 10:00 CT this morning. I imagine that they will have it a day or so. If anyone has any questions they would like me to ask the tuner; fire away.

By the way, someone asked if I watched them dyno the car; I did not. As I have said, this guy has been building cars for me for 20 years. He has major contracts to produce specialty items for Chrysler, has built cars for factory race programs, Paul Newman, etc (he knows his stuff). If there is some type of problem here, it is certainly not human error or honesty.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:16 AM
BrianPA
Racer

Your before dyno is 30+ horsepower low for a stock car. Your after dyno is 15-20+ horsepower high for a chipped car. There is no way those numbers are accurate. If they were you also got screwed on your stock car from Porsche.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:16 AM
billatlanta
Racer

Philip - a few questions and I apologize in advance for my ignorance. (1) Does these type of mods void the warranty on the car? (2) So basically the extent of yor mods were a BMC filter (is that an air filter?) and the chip? (3) Is your exhaust stock? Lastly I see you are in B'ham. I am in Atlanta. Where is the turner located and how can I get additional details as to the cost of the update(s).

Thanks,
Old 08-05-2004, 12:19 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by billatlanta
Philip - a few questions and I apologize in advance for my ignorance. (1) Does these type of mods void the warranty on the car?
Thanks,

Bill
What do you think, Bill?
Old 08-05-2004, 12:34 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
What do you think, Bill?
I think someone at the dealership is going to have a good time with a PST2 when they readout the ECU.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:01 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

As far as your baseline goes when they were making baseline runs-did they turn on the fan to simulate how car would run in the real world so air is cooling the engine. Without any fans to simulate those numbers would probably run that low baseline. It's just a guess but I read one article where how they ran the fan can really change those dyno numbers. Regards. Mike
Old 08-05-2004, 06:09 PM
Philip in AL
Pro

996FLT6 you hit one problem right on the nose. Having spent some of this morning with the tuner, I learned a few things:

1) Base line IS low, due to a couple of reasons: wheel slip (assistant's error), outside temp and more importantly engine temp! I was told that he could make only 3 dyno runs at a time (and should really only have done two at a time), due to the car heating up. It said that in that particular car, it was very difficult for that reason. Run one would go great; run two would start to heat up pretty good and as result, he would see pretty bad drops in HP. Run 3 showed big drops.

They have multiple industrial squirrel fans set right up at the front end of the car, but he said that there is still no way to provide adequate cooling. Another note of interest was the negative effect on HP that resulted from a run while leaving the engine lid up. He stated that the incoming air was being drawn across the hot motor as opposed to from outside of the engine compartment. Once again, he was looking for ways to keep the car cooled down during the test.

Here is the real kicker! The stumbling I told you about at around 7,000 rpm's; it is Porsche's rev limiter. It appears that the limiter reads from the engine (of coarse), and the tack is not able to keep up to speed with the engines revs. In other words, the engine has hit 8,200 revs as my tach is crossing about 7,200, 7,300.

I don't have all the answers, that what I paid him for. He will get it all worked out. More later.

Quick Reply: NO ONE will believe this!