Sponsored by:

Ruf RGT RS rear ducktail in place of stock GT3 wing

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 07:50 PM
996NYC
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ruf RGT RS rear ducktail in place of stock GT3 wing

Has anyone considered placing something a little more understated on the back of their GT3 in place of the stock wing? Maybe the Ruf RGT RS ducktail if one can be found.

Obviously there might be some downforce issues with what looks to be less of a surface in the back with the ducktail, and there might be front/back downforce balance issues vs. the way the GT3 leaves the factory stock, but heck, everyone said you couldn't really put a turbo front without extra surface in the back of a stock 996 (because of mismatched front/back downforce surfaces), and then porsche itself did it for the anniversery edition.

I am assuming the Ruf ducktail generates a fair degree of downforce, but any additional info on how much downforce the Ruf ducktail generates vs. the stock GT3 wing would be great too. thanks.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:13 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Ruf car also has a retrofit carbon fibre wing that I noticed in some of the pics that is removable. Not sure if it's an option or standard equipment...

Last edited by rockitman; 09-19-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:44 PM
996NYC
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting.... I didn't know they had an add-on piece for extra downforce for track sessions...

the add-on piece certainly isn't understated

the fact that Ruf also offers the add-on piece indicates to me that the regular ducktail doesn't come close to the stock GT3 wing in terms of downforce

it would be interesting to know how the car's downforce numbers are with just the ducktail and not the add-on piece
Old 07-08-2004, 12:13 AM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ruf RGT RS rear ducktail in place of stock GT3 wing

Originally posted by 996NYC

I am assuming the Ruf ducktail generates a fair degree of downforce, but any additional info on how much downforce the Ruf ducktail generates vs. the stock GT3 wing would be great too. thanks.
An important point about aerodynamics - a ducktail can not create downforce - it can only reduce lift. For that matter, any spoiler like that does not actually produce downforce - this requires a separate wing surface. Reducing lift is still an important thing but it cannot produce downforce like the factory wing does. I don't have downforce/lift data on the GT3 so I'm sorry I can't help beyond that. On the older body styles the ducktail was very effective at reducing lift and also decreasing aero drag (seems counterintuitive but true).

HTH /Bob
Old 07-08-2004, 02:44 AM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ducktail is a great cosmetic homage to the '73 RS--too bad Porsche doesn't offer something like this as original equipment.

So long as the effects on aerodynamics aren't too disruptive (dangerous) then it looks like a great idea.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:05 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a deck lid that needs some repair if anyone wants to buy it to play around. You wouldn't want to work on a perfect lid, they are way too expensive.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Quick Reply: Ruf RGT RS rear ducktail in place of stock GT3 wing