Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT2 versus GT3 (If I could only have one!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 12:03 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT2 versus GT3 (If I could only have one!)

GT2 versus GT3 (If I could only have one!)

OK, after 6 months I broke out the GT2 to compare it to the GT3. I have read a lot here about the relative merits of each car and which was better.

Yes, I'm human and I was swayed back and forth by each opinion and let's face it all Porsche drivers are seeking perfection to one degree or another. Some get caught up in the "ego" of ownership and others get caught up in the "ego" of driving and the rest of us are just plain "caught up".

So, now I've had a chance to do a back to back comparision I've come to the conclusion that the GT2 is a far superior car. Why? When driving it you are constantly on the edge, and it is an absolute adrenilin rush. It is not a car to be taken lightly and to properly drive it is an advanced "learned" skill. No reader should imply that I'm claiming I have the requisite skills. I can best sum it up by the term "instantaneous response". This is true whether you're driving it at 5/10 or 7/10. I doubt that anyone except a fully trained professional can drive it any further up the curve.

On the "relative" value scale there is a significant and real difference. Because of the various "myths" out there, I'm not sure that the difference in value is fully appreciated by the general audience. But the GT2 is every bit the value proposition that the GT3 is, it's just the that the risk/reward profile is much higher for the GT2, and it may exceed the the "comfort" zone for even advanced capabilities.

Given my physical limitations, I'm sure that the GT3 is the more realistic and sensible car for me to own (and even then that may be too much) but my heart belongs in a GT2 because it truly represents the "Garden of Eden".

Your opinion may vary and be more correct!
Old 06-18-2004, 12:13 AM
gtdrei
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Colm,

I want both.. next year, I'm looking for a deal on a GT2.

Robin
Old 06-18-2004, 12:49 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The GT2 gets my vote. It's like a hot latin woman that you don't want to cross.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:06 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

I'm happy you 2'ers are happy!

The 3 is well enough for me, and when it's time to really go faster I intend to go a Radical. The strange irony is I bought the Gt3 thinking it could be my daily driver that I could track. Well that was a folly, the only time I drive it now is to and from the track. I'm seriously looking at Minis and Hybrids as dd transport around these potholed rough old city streets. As far as I can see the GT2 would just have been a more expensive garage queen!
Old 06-18-2004, 01:25 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Macfly,

I was hoping that this topic would stay on Porsche..the Radical is a whole other kettle of fish.

I have been through the commuter thing and bought an R32 (versus the Mini) for that purpose. They are both great cars but they are not Porsches and ultimately you will find them dissatisfying (a friendly prediction). I respectively suggest that you find a nicely priced 911 variant (or a boxster) as commuter. You'll end up there eventually so it's cheaper to do it now.

Now back to GT2/GT3 comparison and let's hear some "radical" opinions.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:38 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Wait just a minute, I too am looking for a commuter. I am deciding between a S4 and a Mitsu EVO. What on earth is an R32? I want something to rack up the mileage on w/out worry. At this point a chipped S4 seems like the way to go for me. A little more lux and the GT2 4 the track

You are right in a way Andrew, my GT2 also just goes to the track and back with just a few errands in between. I don't exactly like driving it around town. Now the track is another matter, there it feels right at home ( and an open freeway). I get more posotive comments on my '67 Alfa anyway.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:46 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

You guys are bad, you're making me stray from the topic. The R32 is a 240HP AWD VW that is an absolute blast to drive around town. PM me if you want more info
Old 06-18-2004, 02:04 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

The R32 is the top of the line 4 wheel drive sporty Golf, Carl kindly let me drive his red one at Willow when we all out at Tim's event. It is heavy at 3,500lbs, and a little spongy, but the awd system is awesome, turn 2 was like a rally course!

The biggest problem with my commuting is that it is such short distances, my whole life happens within about two miles of my home, the kind of stop and go that engine's hate, and I'm in the car for so little time there isn't time, distance or space to get frustrated with a lesser car.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:19 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

I checked it out VW, but the S4 still looks a lot better. The EVO is fast but funky. Subarus a odd too.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:34 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

The Subaru, Evo and R32 are all in the same price range and therefore a direct comparison. The S4 is significantly more expensive, and the newer model has had an inordinate amount of engine and transmission problems. If you want an Audi go for the RS6.

The R32 is less of a boy racer than the Evo and Subaru, plus the R32 engine is bullet proof, and is used with head modification in the 6 cylinder Cayenne. That makes it Porsche like!

The build quality of the VW far exceeds the Evo and Subaru (IMO), bias included.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:37 AM
Inquisitor
AutoX

You guys in the US never got the Nissan Skyline other than as an import did you? I don't think its wise to use R32 as a sole desription for a car as the 1989 to 1993 Skyline as designated the R32. Funny thing is the R32 GTR is active 4WD so when reading the description of the VW I had to re-read it.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:50 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

You guys in the US never got the Nissan Skyline other than as an import did you? I don't think its wise to use R32 as a sole desription for a car as the 1989 to 1993 Skyline as designated the R32. Funny thing is the R32 GTR is active 4WD so when reading the description of the VW I had to re-read

Can you say that in english, I have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe too much sun down under.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:00 AM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Skyline GTR R32 4WD EVO Type R A-Spec.... Japanese cars have more names in their names than Spanish nobility!

GT2 is a great car, but not worth the extra $90,000.00 - who are Porsche kidding.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:02 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

So who buys a GT2 new anyway? Not me! Second hand means big discount with low mileage. The GT3 rocks BTW!
Old 06-18-2004, 08:35 AM
doody
Advanced

anybody else care to chime in on GT2 -vs- GT3?

doody.

Quick Reply: GT2 versus GT3 (If I could only have one!)