Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT2 versus GT3 (If I could only have one!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 02:27 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blow dog,

Interesting comments, most people in the US have the (wrongful!) impression that the GT2 is very difficult to drive.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:45 PM
Blow Dog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Colm.

I guess I meant in terms of its power delivery. My RS demands a little effort and likes to be revved hard, whereas the GT2 prefers to use its massive torque low down.

Cem
Old 07-12-2004, 10:08 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no doubt that the GT2 is challenging.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:53 AM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The final answer to this perplexing question....

Old 07-13-2004, 01:55 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts
Cool

I agree with Larry (a few pages back) - a GT2 for the street and a GT3 Cup for the track. Jack's garage has its advantages as he can drive his GT3 to the track while I have to own a truck, an enclosed trailer and lots of "stuff" to run the GT3 Cup. But it is faster and more fun at the track. And PCA Club Racing has really taken off in the GTC3 class (996 Cup cars). With so many cars in the USA now that class continues to grow and offer 10+ cars at most venues and 20+ at the bigger tracks.

My GT3 impressions are limited to one day at the track in a car that was not properly aligned. To that end it had some quirks in the handling. Those aside it was the best street car I have ever driven on the track, by far. A great car, capable of lap times that 10 years ago were close to fast time of the day. No downside in owning one of those.

However I still chose the GT2. My GT2 impressions are limited to about 800 miles over the past 5 weeks in my 2003 GT2. This is including a 200 mile S.Calif. mountain drive last Sunday. Ortega (74 from San Jaun Cap. through Elsinore, then on to Hemet and through Idewild down the 371 to the 79 to Warner Springs and on to Santa Ynez, then to Julian, then back to ramona and back Escondido (76) and then back home. I left at 5:00 a.m. and had no traffic until Julian back home.

All I can say is the limits of the GT2 so far exceed a reasonable speed to drive on the street that I have to question its use, other than the track. The GT3 likely falls into the same catagory. Don't get me wrong I love every minute of every drive, but this car is sick, fast. Taking corners on those roads at twice the posted limit is "ho hum" notch it up to 2.5 times the limit and you say ok now we things are getting interesting.

However you then have to question the intelligence of getting a ticket at that pace (and listening to a lecture so early in the day) or worse having someone coming the other way at any pace in your lane and not having the room or the time to make a change. End of the day maybe I have become a wimp as I used to just bomb along and never think of the consequence, or maybe my cars just keep getting faster and so the stakes are rising and I have more to loose.

My track experience has taught me that what you can do at the track (how hard you can push with a safety margin still there) you can never duplicate on the street and not risk others safety. As such it seems that I will save my real aggressive sprints for the track and enjoy the street driving at a reasonable level. Although I will say my passanger didn't think 2 times the posted limit was reasonable on the first few sets of corners, but by the end they were talking right through them without hesitation.

So the perfect garage is really up to each of us. In the end these are great cars and great toys. To bad everyone can't be so lucky!

JCM
Old 07-13-2004, 09:25 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally posted by Jack
The final answer to this perplexing question....
No Jack, you still have a question...which one to drive???
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-13-2004, 12:10 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by hansi1
Riz,

You might want to look into the possibility of whether changes in GT racing classes since the 993 GT2 have not meant that there is no longer a category which the 996 GT2 slots into.
Originally posted by Doug H
That raises an interesting point. Would the GT2 due to turbos or hp be taken into a higher catergory. Seems like the highly modified GT2s have posted up some good times. Could be wrong here though.
I believe the GT2 would fall into a GTS type catagory (Super GT class) where it would compete against the C5R Vette and the Ferrari 550. However, PAG chooses not to race it or support it for racing. Perhaps the rules would require air restrictors on a turbo making it non competitive and PAG only wants to race if they can win. A private team can run one and foot all the developement costs (very expensive), but it does not make sence when you can purchase a factory built GT3RSR and know that the car would be competitive.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:23 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Larry Herman
No Jack, you still have a question...which one to drive???
Good point, Larry -- back to the think tank.

Quick Reply: GT2 versus GT3 (If I could only have one!)