Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Startup Decibel Test

Old 07-12-2019, 10:05 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Startup Decibel Test

Just for fun, we pulled out the decibel meter to test cold starts. We put the meter 15' from the car for no real reason. GT3 has stock engine/ECU, with fabspeed exhaust bypass pipes.

Cold start @15' hit 99.5 dB. Gonna try 20" tomorrow.

-td
Old 07-12-2019, 11:22 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 368 Posts

Sweet. The 996 GT3 is an awesome car.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:26 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

Sound pressure level (SPL) drops by 6 dB each time the distance is doubled.

You can use this calculator to figure out the expected value.

Where you place the microphone and surrounding surfaces impact SPL because of reflections, too. This can drastically complicate measurements and one of the reasons that speakers can sound great in one room, but like s**t in another.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:34 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Using the calculator I get 119.5 db at 20". That is pretty darn loud, if true. I suspect that the your method of measurement, with the car in the garage, is affecting your reading.

120 db is borderline painful, so probably not accurate.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:00 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

What do you mean by affecting the measurement? (GT3 is very loud @20” - 107.5 dB)

Personally, I don’t think the garage impacts anything - the car is basically 3” from being outside and we measured the inboard side, so there’s no reflection. Also, we’re using a decibel meter not an iPhone reading, so I suspect it’s pretty close to accurate, even if it has a margin of error.

FWIW, my spec boxster measured over 120 dB and the R8 does as well, so 107.5 for GT3 is totally reasonable.

-td
Old 07-15-2019, 04:10 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't refute your readings. I do think the garage has an affect, but it might be small, or nothing, or something. Just my observation.
120db is loud, no question, I wonder what it is at full song?

Where did the 107.5db come from, your post says 99.5 db. I think that would be too loud for me for the street. Loud pipes are pretty annoying in a lot of situations, the track is not one of them though.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:22 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

The 107.5 video is in a separate thread. https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...5-degrees.html

I’ve rum bypass pipes on the gt3 for almost 10 years now. Street, track, trips, it’s not that bad. At least too me. I’m pretty sure it’s over 120 dB at at 100 feet @WOT. Even the boxster was, and it had a small engine. R8 sounds like an old F1 car. It’s crazy loud. 120 dB st startup.

-td

Originally Posted by Honkity Hank
I don't refute your readings. I do think the garage has an affect, but it might be small, or nothing, or something. Just my observation.
120db is loud, no question, I wonder what it is at full song?

Where did the 107.5db come from, your post says 99.5 db. I think that would be too loud for me for the street. Loud pipes are pretty annoying in a lot of situations, the track is not one of them though.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:29 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by himself
What do you mean by affecting the measurement? (GT3 is very loud @20” - 107.5 dB)

Personally, I don’t think the garage impacts anything - the car is basically 3” from being outside and we measured the inboard side, so there’s no reflection. Also, we’re using a decibel meter not an iPhone reading, so I suspect it’s pretty close to accurate, even if it has a margin of error.

FWIW, my spec boxster measured over 120 dB and the R8 does as well, so 107.5 for GT3 is totally reasonable.

-td
Yes, it can.

Exhaust sound is a pressure wave of various frequencies. But for simplicity, let's just consider it as one. Think of it as dropping a pebble in a tank of water. Waves propagate outward, then strike a surface like your garage wall or ceiling. They are reflected back, too.

When a reflected wave meets a wave from the source (or even other reflections) it can be either in phase, 180° out of phase, or something in-between. If they are in phase, the amplitude of the sound at that point of intersection will be twice as powerful (+3dB) as the source (antinode). If they arrive out of phase (node) they can cancel. Think of a noise cancelling headphone. That's how they work.

Reading the recommended test setup requires objects and persons to be at least so many feet or meters from the vehicle just for that reason.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:28 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Not quite following. The meter was 20” away unobstructed.

-td

Originally Posted by Marv
Yes, it can.

Exhaust sound is a pressure wave of various frequencies. But for simplicity, let's just consider it as one. Think of it as dropping a pebble in a tank of water. Waves propagate outward, then strike a surface like your garage wall or ceiling. They are reflected back, too.

When a reflected wave meets a wave from the source (or even other reflections) it can be either in phase, 180° out of phase, or something in-between. If they are in phase, the amplitude of the sound at that point of intersection will be twice as powerful (+3dB) as the source (antinode). If they arrive out of phase (node) they can cancel. Think of a noise cancelling headphone. That's how they work.

Reading the recommended test setup requires objects and persons to be at least so many feet or meters from the vehicle just for that reason.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:57 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 464 Likes on 312 Posts

Nice, best 996 produced.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:22 PM
Stephen Tinker
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

-td
I think what Marv is indicating is that the sound (pressure) waves emanating from the source (your exhaust tips) are being deflected / reflected / absorbed by the garage walls / ceiling / doors etc before it reaches your meter.
The meter may be in a "clear" zone but the source is not....
Old 07-15-2019, 09:52 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

-td
True, but the sound is a succession of waves, not a single pulse. The pebble in the tank is not quite a perfect analogy. Instead, think of a buoy bobbing up and down for along period making waves. That's the exhaust note playing over time. Even though the mike is 20" away, reflected sounds will make it back to the mike, albeit at a later time, but the exhaust is still playing the same "tune", so to speak.

You may find that running the same test in an empty and open parking lot may produce a different result. Again, I am using the words 'may' and 'maybe'. It could be academic, but if you want to be sure, the open parking lot is the better way to do it.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:56 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JustinS
Nice, best 996 produced.
If you mean the GT3, yes! We're still driving ours like the day we got it—131,000 miles ago!

Every so often I think about the new ones, but I can't see getting rid of the 6GT3.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:58 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I suppose it might. But this wasn't a scientific test, or an experiment with a control. It was a "cool, look what we can do test." If it's off 1%, 2%, or even 10%, it's not really important. At the end of the day, I suspect the test is probably close to a very rigid test, subject to the accuracy of the equipment.

-td

Originally Posted by Marv
True, but the sound is a succession of waves, not a single pulse. The pebble in the tank is not quite a perfect analogy. Instead, think of a buoy bobbing up and down for along period making waves. That's the exhaust note playing over time. Even though the mike is 20" away, reflected sounds will make it back to the mike, albeit at a later time, but the exhaust is still playing the same "tune", so to speak.

You may find that running the same test in an empty and open parking lot may produce a different result. Again, I am using the words 'may' and 'maybe'. It could be academic, but if you want to be sure, the open parking lot is the better way to do it.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:33 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 201 Posts

OP, your car sounds great! I had the cat bypass on for a very brief time; the scary CEL after the shop farked the installation prompted its removal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Startup Decibel Test