Third gear hard despite cup cable

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 02:39 PM
Derfe48
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Third gear hard despite cup cable

Hello everybody,

I am from France, a big car lover, kind of an alien here in this country that don't like too much cars.

You might wonder why I post here but there is no such a big place to talk about Porsche here I think.

I have a 996 GT3 Mk2 3.9 liter by RS tuning for a month.
Short ratio gearbox, gyrodiscs and some others good parts :-)

I think the gearchange is hard (but lacking comparison apart of my gt4 that was heaven but a different world of course), on track I even "hitted a wall" several times from 2nd to third. It was a hot day, full throttle, and going uphill. Happened always at the same and only place.
All fluids are new and level according to previous owner (race team CARTECH knowledge in germany)

Before posting I researched on the forum, found out it's a common issue solve by cup cable. but.....i (fortunately or unfortunately in this case
) already have those.

may be the setting of cables is not good but I feel like the shifter might be guilty. I think it's the stock shifter (not quite sure)with plastic bushing. :-((

I post some pictures of cup cable and shifter.

What do you think about this ?

I am going to buy a CAE shifter soon 😍😍 but want to find more about this before doing this mod. (If it get worse i couldnl't know who is guilty).

Should I get CAE cable VS cup cable ?

Sorry if I had to present myself before but didn't find the place to do so.

Regards

Frédéric
Old 07-04-2019, 07:58 PM
TomGT3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What engine mounts do you have?
Old 07-04-2019, 10:17 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TomGT3
What engine mounts do you have?
^+1

i had same issue even with new RSS engine mounts.

the fix for mine was a new transmission mount

done!
Old 07-05-2019, 04:07 AM
Derfe48
Advanced

Thanks for your answers, here are some pictures.
engine mounts are aftermarket and look good but don't know about the brand wevo if it's good stuff or not.

gearbox mount, I think it's oem and look tired.

Last edited by Derfe48; 07-05-2019 at 05:22 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:30 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

I belive you found your problem. Upgrade those transmission mounts to something more sturdy. There are a few different options. I run some semi solid orange mounts.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:36 AM
Derfe48
Advanced

Thanks for your answer,
I use my gt3 only on fast mountain roads and on track, this is not my daily at all, what do you suggest ? Any brand I should go for ?

What about the shifter, I think oem is also guilty ?
Old 07-05-2019, 02:22 PM
sumbaco
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

"Hitting a wall" while shifting from 2 to 3 is something I've experienced in several different porsches. I think it's a weakness in their gearbox/shifter design. The more I hear about it, the more I'm starting to believe it's just a weakness in many porsches. It's happened to me in anything from the 987 up to the 991.2 GT3. I've seen it happen in 997 GT3, and others have written about it happening on the 996 GT3. Essentially, there's a weak centering spring in the transmission and its easy to overpower it on the 2-3 upshift so you end up "hitting the wall" between 3rd and 5th gear. I think the same thing is happening to you, if i'm understanding you correctly. GT4 geabox is much better, but that car has a centering spring directly on the shifter, as does the 911 Carrera T, so the gearbox is more precise.

I installed a numeric shifter, which helps, but the problem can still happen. The only way I've avoided the issue is to be careful on the upshift to 3rd gear, especially when driving fast. I don't put much sideways pressure on the gear lever and let it self-center to 3rd. The engine and transmission mounts might help if you're trying to shift with a sideways load on the car.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:23 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Frederic Cay
Thanks for your answer,
I use my gt3 only on fast mountain roads and on track, this is not my daily at all, what do you suggest ? Any brand I should go for ?

What about the shifter, I think oem is also guilty ?
I only use my 996gt3 as a track car. Running solid engine mounts and rennline urathtrene (85A) orange trans mounts. I also use a CAE shifter. More for the look and feel of the higher stick position.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:29 PM
Derfe48
Advanced

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
I only use my 996gt3 as a track car. Running solid engine mounts and rennline urathtrene (85A) orange trans mounts. I also use a CAE shifter. More for the look and feel of the higher stick position.
I'am going to do so about gearbox mount, thanks for the reference ! I guess my engine mounts are already up to the task.

I'll go CAE for the look and the higher stick position for me too but did you not talk about more precise shift and shorter throw on purpose ? I guess so...
Old 07-05-2019, 09:49 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

Those are the Wevo engine mounts. IMO both the Wevo and Rennline engine mounts are absolute garbage. I have owned 2 of the 3 and removed them after a bit of use and all 3 of them were loose with the long bolt flopping around. They are all the same basic design, I think the RSS might be the same as these two as well but have never had a set. After a short period of use the polyurethane compresses and no longer fills the space.

Best options are OEM Porsche 993 RS mounts or solid mounts. Of course solids will vibrate. I have the 993 RS mounts now and I am very happy with them. They are basically a solid block of rubber. Carnewal sells a kit with longer bolts to adapt the 993 RS mounts to the 996/997.

Your transmission mount looks worn out htere. For the transmission mount you can go with the superceeded OEM 997 GT3 mount then put in Function First poly inserts to keep it stable under load. I have the yellow inserts and have been happy with them.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:18 AM
Derfe48
Advanced

Originally Posted by sumbaco
"Hitting a wall" while shifting from 2 to 3 is something I've experienced in several different porsches. I think it's a weakness in their gearbox/shifter design. The more I hear about it, the more I'm starting to believe it's just a weakness in many porsches. It's happened to me in anything from the 987 up to the 991.2 GT3. I've seen it happen in 997 GT3, and others have written about it happening on the 996 GT3. Essentially, there's a weak centering spring in the transmission and its easy to overpower it on the 2-3 upshift so you end up "hitting the wall" between 3rd and 5th gear. I think the same thing is happening to you, if i'm understanding you correctly. GT4 geabox is much better, but that car has a centering spring directly on the shifter, as does the 911 Carrera T, so the gearbox is more precise.

I installed a numeric shifter, which helps, but the problem can still happen. The only way I've avoided the issue is to be careful on the upshift to 3rd gear, especially when driving fast. I don't put much sideways pressure on the gear lever and let it self-center to 3rd. The engine and transmission mounts might help if you're trying to shift with a sideways load on the car.
This help a lot to know what is going on and what it's all about, thanks.

Yes the GT4 shifter is just fantastic....so smooth, so precise,....but gearing is too long (one reason why I sold it). I love the short ratio gearbox on my 996. Always in the right rev band !

But miss the gt4 shifter and rev matching, i just bought autoblip for the 996 (heel and toe not for me)

Last edited by Derfe48; 07-06-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:24 AM
Derfe48
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Those are the Wevo engine mounts. IMO both the Wevo and Rennline engine mounts are absolute garbage. I have owned 2 of the 3 and removed them after a bit of use and all 3 of them were loose with the long bolt flopping around. They are all the same basic design, I think the RSS might be the same as these two as well but have never had a set. After a short period of use the polyurethane compresses and no longer fills the space.

Best options are OEM Porsche 993 RS mounts or solid mounts. Of course solids will vibrate. I have the 993 RS mounts now and I am very happy with them. They are basically a solid block of rubber. Carnewal sells a kit with longer bolts to adapt the 993 RS mounts to the 996/997.

Your transmission mount looks worn out htere. For the transmission mount you can go with the superceeded OEM 997 GT3 mount then put in Function First poly inserts to keep it stable under load. I have the yellow inserts and have been happy with them.
Thanks for the reference and your feedback Definitely I am going to buy gearbox mount.

I take into consideration what you are saying but wevo seems to have a good reputation on the forum, i will check mine if there is space.

Also Going solid engine mount means strenghten the chassis
Old 07-06-2019, 09:49 AM
Derfe48
Advanced

Ok i am going on cantrell 85A, don't care about NVH
I was ready to order, but one question
85A isn'it too much for other components of the car ? If so is there anything to do at the same time ?

(Exactly like solid engine mount need strengthening at some places).

Don't want to mess around and have worn gearbox, engine, chassis cracks...
Old 07-08-2019, 07:48 AM
TKEES
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Frederic Cay
Ok i am going on cantrell 85A, don't care about NVH
I was ready to order, but one question
85A isn'it too much for other components of the car ? If so is there anything to do at the same time ?

(Exactly like solid engine mount need strengthening at some places).

Don't want to mess around and have worn gearbox, engine, chassis cracks...
Go with the Green Cantrell mount, it’s the softer of the two options. I spoke with cantrell when I ordered mine and they said they were considering no longer manufacturing the harder version (orange) of the two.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:50 AM
Derfe48
Advanced

I guess they didn't sell enough.
Damn, I think I wanted those...

But still available on there website

Quick Reply: Third gear hard despite cup cable