Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NT-01 users - How much is left on these?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 12:46 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts
Default NT-01 users - How much is left on these?

Burning down my first set of NT-01's I have had on my GT3. Track only use. I was at the track last weekend and swapped on another set of wheels on day 2 with fresh NT-01's on them (and was much slower LOL).

How do these look as far as any remaining life, particularly the fronts? I have roughly 40-45 heat cycles on these and have swapped them left to right between each track weekend.

When I removed them they gripped fine I was just getting nervous about the appearance of the fronts, particularly the second one down in the stack in the photo below.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-19-2019, 07:13 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

45 heat cycles? wow. Mine are done by 25-30 max. Im sure you could continue to run them, but are you getting the performance out of them?
Old 06-19-2019, 09:19 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

Are the cords showing? If not, they have life left. Probably not the most effective at this stage, but you can still run them.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:56 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 1,003 Posts

At 45 heat cycles those are beyond done no matter how much rubber is left as the tire compound hardens further with each additional heat cycle.

Last edited by powdrhound; 06-19-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:57 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I've come to learn wear depends on a number of factors so don't get too wrapped up in that ultimate number. I could go 45 heat cycles at Mid Ohio easily at a pace faster than most people on sticky rubber because the surface is really kind to tires and they will last forever. On the same note it took more cycles (5-7) to get past the new depth tread squirm of Nitto's and really get them into their prime. at 45 they aren't going to be super quick but you could continue on them if you wanted as a tire to learn on.

What concerns me more than that front tire is the lack of wear on the outside of that one rear esp since you said you were rotating them.

What's the rear alignment specs?
Old 06-19-2019, 02:34 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
I've come to learn wear depends on a number of factors so don't get too wrapped up in that ultimate number. I could go 45 heat cycles at Mid Ohio easily at a pace faster than most people on sticky rubber because the surface is really kind to tires and they will last forever. On the same note it took more cycles (5-7) to get past the new depth tread squirm of Nitto's and really get them into their prime. at 45 they aren't going to be super quick but you could continue on them if you wanted as a tire to learn on.

What concerns me more than that front tire is the lack of wear on the outside of that one rear esp since you said you were rotating them.

What's the rear alignment specs?
I am at -3.5 front and -3 rear.

My home track was repaved last year and is very smooth so that may be attributable to the lower wear.

I was thinking the same thing looking at the wear patterns.

***Edit - I just remembered - Over half of those heat cycles were on the stock suspension at Kussmaul settings before I went to JRZ's and RSR arms with associated setup done this winter. Much of that uneven wear could be from the old setup. Or not. :-) I have a fresh set of NT-01's on now so will have to pay attention to the wear patterns.

Last edited by Nickshu; 06-19-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:42 PM
mistermct
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

if you're rotating evenly.. should be on both tires. did you forget to mention a few inside-wheel burnouts on corner exit before a diff replacement??

hah. jk.. but you sure there wasn't a one-off event with your old settings? like a different, harsher track you didn't rotate tires at or a long street drive with a bunch of toe on one side?
Old 06-21-2019, 01:29 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

I run mine until they coed, usually on inner rears as I drive them on the street quite a bit too. I like them better when they are near slicks vs. new. As far as heat cycles go???
I usually flip them on the wheels after they're about two-thirds done.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:15 AM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
I run mine until they coed, usually on inner rears as I drive them on the street quite a bit too. I like them better when they are near slicks vs. new. As far as heat cycles go???
I usually flip them on the wheels after they're about two-thirds done.
I run mine to the cords typically as well but 45 heat cycles isn’t something I’m used to getting. Usually 30 or so
Old 06-27-2019, 09:56 PM
H2Ocooledesteem
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

You will definitely know when they are bad. It feels like driving on a slick surface when in fact you're on dry pavement.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:00 PM
Saltybrad
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by H2Ocooledesteem
You will definitely know when they are bad. It feels like driving on a slick surface when in fact you're on dry pavement.
Just had this happen at Roebling last weekend. I probably have 30 or 40 cycles on mine, the tires are arent cored but my goodness, I was absolutely blown away by how slippery these were. It was like I was driving on marbles.

Quick Reply: NT-01 users - How much is left on these?