porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 202 Posts

Interesting...
Old 06-23-2019, 08:50 PM
H2Ocooledesteem
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Does anyone know of someone that has dropped a motor on a 911 with this unit?
Old 06-24-2019, 11:50 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

I've read 34" clearance needed to drop a 996 Turbo engine, so no. Not to mention the hassle of doing it without being able to stand up underneath.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...bolt-mods.html
Old 06-25-2019, 11:14 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 996 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by H2Ocooledesteem
Probably not enough clearance.

I did a 964 engine drop in my garage using jack stands. I made two custom wooden cradles with casters to support the engine and trans. The two cradles could be separated so the engine and trans could be rolled apart.

I used two jacks to lower the engine and trans. I did this alone, too.

Got both successfully to the floor and when I went to roll the pair out from under the car I found I couldn't clear the rear of the car.

The jack stands were maxed, so the solution was to go up into the attic and attach a hoist to the roof rafters, drill a large hole in the garage ceiling, and drop a cable to the rear of the car. I then lifted the tail of the car a few inches to roll out the engine/trans.

Not the most eloquent solution.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:28 PM
black04
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Elegant Engine Drop

Originally Posted by Marv
Probably not enough clearance.

I did a 964 engine drop in my garage using jack stands. I made two custom wooden cradles with casters to support the engine and trans. The two cradles could be separated so the engine and trans could be rolled apart.

I used two jacks to lower the engine and trans. I did this alone, too.

Got both successfully to the floor and when I went to roll the pair out from under the car I found I couldn't clear the rear of the car.

The jack stands were maxed, so the solution was to go up into the attic and attach a hoist to the roof rafters, drill a large hole in the garage ceiling, and drop a cable to the rear of the car. I then lifted the tail of the car a few inches to roll out the engine/trans.

Not the most eloquent solution.
On the contrary. That is the most elegant solution, on multiple levels. And you're quite eloquent, as well.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:57 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by H2Ocooledesteem
Easy to do. You simply need to raise the car up with the Quickjack and rest it on some elevated pads, stacked 2x6 boards, whatever. You then need to lower the Quickjack and put a proper spacer thick enough to give you the extra clearance, again, stacked 2x6 or 2x4 boards between the jack surface the the rubber pads. Once done, you simply raise the car again with the Quickjack to the height required to clear the dropped engine.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:06 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Easy to do. You simply need to raise the car up with the Quickjack and rest it on some elevated pads, stacked 2x6 boards, whatever. You then need to lower the Quickjack and put a proper spacer thick enough to give you the extra clearance, again, stacked 2x6 or 2x4 boards between the jack surface the the rubber pads. Once done, you simply raise the car again with the Quickjack to the height required to clear the dropped engine.
Have you seen that done?

It sounds plausible, but???

I'm just worried about stability.

There is always the MaxJax for an additional $700.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:28 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Have you seen that done?

Sure it's plausible. You just can't go overboard with it but if you properly space it maybe 6"-10 than stability won't be compromised much. You just have to use common sense but the lift itself if very stable.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:55 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Sure it's plausible. You just can't go overboard with it but if you properly space it maybe 6"-10 than stability won't be compromised much. You just have to use common sense but the lift itself if very stable.
So, if I read the information correctly, the QuickJack lifts to a maximum of 21". But that is with the rubber blocks.

The actual lift is 17.6". I am assuming that is measured from the floor.

The tail of my rear bumper is 8.5" off the floor and to clear the engine I need 34" from the bottom of the bumper to the floor (34" - 8.5" = 25.5" actual lift).

Bottom line, about 8" of additional lift would do it.

That 34" presumes an unknown engine jack minimum height and I assume the removal of the rear bumper.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:47 PM
black04
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you seen that done?

I've done something similar with a hydraulic floor jack, jack stands and blocks. The jack stands got me to about 16 inches high. So I used a similar method and I got the car about 22 inches high

The stability is as good as one's engineering skills and blocks. I was stupid and one corner of the car fell about 4 inches when I was lowering it.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:06 PM
rjaudi
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Race ramps make tire "cradles" that will support the car in the air. Then you can buy the Quickjack SUV/Truck adapters to raise the car backup even higher.

Quick Reply: Quickjack 5000 lift for sale at Costco, $999 delivered