Sponsored by:

suspension novice question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 02:12 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 352 Posts
Default suspension novice question

I want to swap out my badly leaking rear shocks this weekend with some good used units I sourced. Can I do so without having to re-align, as long as I ensure the ride height is exactly the same as it was before removal? I don't want to have to re-align since I view this swap as more or less temporary as I'm still trying to figure out a more track oriented permanent option for all four corners, which would then require me to re-align yet again.

Also, bonus question: My front giro disc rotors have a lot of "burn" marks or hot spots. Not sure if prior owner did not properly bed in pads or what. No shimmy or vibrations, no cracking, and lots of life left (very small "ridge" on the outer edge. Should I be worried about these spots? Or time to replace? Thanks all.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:15 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Will need realignment,/corner balance. Are they compatible with fronts?. I'm going through similar things. Not bolt & go like as i also thought. Mine in shop.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:21 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

the fact that they are coilovers makes it more difficult, wear patterns on bushings could be slightly different but if you're really careful and it's only a temporary solution I'm sure you could get away with it.

These things are really sensitive to alignment esp at the rear so I'm not sure I'd be out tracking it without an alignment but for street driving It'll probably be OK-ish.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:52 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 352 Posts

Thanks guys. maybe I'll just hold off on the swap for now (not going to track it before I get it all sorted), and just re-valve the stockers with stiffer springs instead of trying to mess around with triple adjustable this or double adjustable that. I'm a newb so the fewer variables the better. But I would like it sprung a little stiffer than stock. I find the ride way too compliant...even on the street! Now I just need to source some used front units to send in to get re-worked, that way the car is not down while I have the oem shocks revalved.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:03 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I know what not to do but Andy knows what to do.

Quick Reply: suspension novice question