Sponsored by:

996 GT3 Clubsport purchased!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 08:42 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 996 GT3 Clubsport purchased!

My first post ever in the 996 GT3 section so this is my intro and hello to you all.

It's been a long time since I've been in a water cooled 911 GT, my last being a 997.1 GT3 RS which I sold some 7 odd years ago when tracking began to interest me less (over 70 track days in that car were brilliant but I hit a wall mentally even with professional coaching and decided I was never meant to be a race driver).

I never actually saw myself getting back into one as they are just too fast for the roads, and was actually on the look out for a 964 C2 when someone posted an add for an ex race car in Australia (where I live). The car came from a series known as the Nations Cup which was a race series for the exotic sports GT cars run from 2000 to 2004. Cars raced in the series included the then new 996.1 GT3 CS, the Ferrari 360 CS, the Lamborghini Diablo, and the Dodge Viper amoungst other cars.

The cars used in the series were based on what I understand standard GT cars that were allowed to have their suspension modified, engine management systems upgraded, safety equipment changed and wheels and tires altered. Body alterations and engine modifications were not permitted. Also the cars had to largely run with their interiors in place.

The 996.1 GT3s used in the series were brand new Clubsport cars delivered straight to Fitzgerald Racing (yes, owned by Peter Fitzgerald one of the aforementioned racers I the series) who shared a very strong relationship with Porsche Australia, being their unofficial performance support division of sorts. It was here that all the necessary upgrade modifications for safety etc were made to the cars. They were then handed out to the various teams who would further modify their cars to extract maximum performance. The top runners in the series included many of the top racers in Australia at the time, so this wasn't some privateering club series but a fully sanctioned telecast official Australian car race series.

But what made this series so unique is that the rules were such that the cars had to start off as genuine street legal sports cars rather than, for example the Porsche Cup cars thst followed. This meant that (in theory) the cars in the series could be road registered if needed or desired, bringing a whole new meaning to the term street legal race car.

The specific car in question that came to the market was Peter Fitzgerald'a actual race car from the 2000 and 2001 season where he came in 2nd and 3rd respectively. The Falken liveried car was retired after the 2002 season, being replaced by a 996.2 GT3 Clubsport. Below are some pictures of the car back in the day when it was running the Nations Cup series.

Below is a video of the car on one of its outings back in the day. Don't mind the strong Australian accents

After being retired, the car was moved from Victoria across to Western Australia where it was modified with a 997 cup engine and sequential box and csrbon fibre front fenders and doorskins. The car remained in Western Australia for over 15 years before it was sold to a collector back in Victoria who reunited the car with its original engine and transmission as well as putting the original body panels back on the car. The car had an engine rebuild on the original case to push it to 400bhp with full Motec system (originally on the car but updated) after which it sat in a shed together with two other Nations Cup cars in the owners collection.

Obligatory pics or the car today...

Suffice to say an opportunity to purchase a piece of motoring history in one's home country doesn't come up very often, all the more so when it's something that can be driven to cars and coffee legally, imagining I am racing Oran Park again other racing legends when I'm just crawling in traffic to a coffee session. So the 964 purchase never happened and the funds were diverted immediately to this car.

The owner, an elderly gentleman, began selling off his Nations Cup cars recently with one going to Queensland and now this one being sold to me. My intention is to use this as a weekend Sunday morning driver and a cars and coffee car more than for track days.... But this car may yet get me back into track days again. Look forward to spending more time on this forum and thanks for taking the time to listen to me babble on.

Last edited by Harold; 04-23-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:39 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

this is very cool but this is not a Factory GT3 Cup Car?
Old 04-23-2019, 03:43 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Congratulations. Quite a unique car. Belongs on the track...
Old 04-23-2019, 03:50 PM
bubba928
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, great looking car.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:58 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 202 Posts

Awesome, great pick up. I remember watching these race on TV as a kid. I sold my 996 GT3 road car a couple of years ago and picked up a Carrera Cup Aus car and love the race history like yourself but do miss being able to drive my car on public roads. You’ve got a very good thing there. I always wondered why Porsche never sent the early 996 cup cars to Australia...
Old 04-23-2019, 09:02 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zookie
this is very cool but this is not a Factory GT3 Cup Car?
Thanks very much mate. No unfortunately cup cars cannot be road registered unlike these cars which started life as original standard road GT3 clubsport.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:04 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KOAN
Congratulations. Quite a unique car. Belongs on the track...
Cheers mafe. Car has been off the track for many years hidden in collections. I've had my years of tracking some way back when I had the RS but suspect this car will get me back to track days but non competitive.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:10 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Cheers gents. Am very excited and happy with the pick up. Felt I needed to act fast on this one as it was so special to me. Had a couple guys on the Australia forums (which ironically I don't spend much time on) that really helped me understand the car better and without them I couldn't have had the confidence to do the deal so quickly. The history of the series, the speicofc info on the car and getting the details and background of the seller so I had absolute confidence were all thanks to a couple of really great guys who know their stuff--and more important were willing to share the knowledge.

Car may well get me back into track days and with my son very interested in motor sport I will likely want it to be also used by him ultimately (I fear he may actually be a better driver than me- the older I get the faster I was).

Thanks very much Spiller! I gather you are based in oz? All I can say is I'm glad the early cup cars didn't make their way to Australia (very very few of those early cars made) otherwise this road registrable nutmeg of a car would never exist.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:25 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

A couple of interesting pictures when the car was taken for a period of time to the road with a more civilised paint job, but was running a brand new 997 Carrera Cup engine with a full sequential gear box. Not too sure I would have enjoyed driving the car that way. Car as mentioned is back to the original race livery but has the original engine back in as well as transmisison. Note the centre exhaust of the cup engine. When the car was brought back to original the rear bumper showed the evidence of the cup engine with the centre cut out still there. Thanks very much to a mate on the Australia forums for sending me the pics which he had on his database.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:01 AM
reddahaydn
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Harold. You beat me to it. I'm not sure whether to be happy for you or just plain jealous.
I've had my eye on this for a while since I saw it in Nick's shop.
Unfortunately my wife is about to have a baby and I have been stuck at work the last few weeks and didn't even have time to begin to get organised before you snapped it up.
I'd love to see it in person again, and would love to see it out on the track.
And if you ever want to move it on, please keep me in mind!
Congrats I suppose! Nah really, enjoy it! It's an awesome car!!!!!
Old 04-24-2019, 06:40 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reddahaydn
Well Harold. You beat me to it. I'm not sure whether to be happy for you or just plain jealous.
I've had my eye on this for a while since I saw it in Nick's shop.
Unfortunately my wife is about to have a baby and I have been stuck at work the last few weeks and didn't even have time to begin to get organised before you snapped it up.
I'd love to see it in person again, and would love to see it out on the track.
And if you ever want to move it on, please keep me in mind!
Congrats I suppose! Nah really, enjoy it! It's an awesome car!!!!!
Hahaha. Thanks so much mate. Really was a bit shocked that it came up for sale and to be honest never expected it to either. Will be in Melbourne to pick it up soon and will definitely give you a buzz when I am there to catch up! As for the baby.... A huge congrats and all the best with the birth.... That's gonna keep you very very happy and occupied for many years to come mate! Mine are finally heading to university hence my refocus on cars again!

Speak soon!
Old 04-24-2019, 09:47 AM
reddahaydn
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gt3

Originally Posted by Harold
Hahaha. Thanks so much mate. Really was a bit shocked that it came up for sale and to be honest never expected it to either. Will be in Melbourne to pick it up soon and will definitely give you a buzz when I am there to catch up! As for the baby.... A huge congrats and all the best with the birth.... That's gonna keep you very very happy and occupied for many years to come mate! Mine are finally heading to university hence my refocus on cars again!

Speak soon!
Cheers mate, looking forward to it. Message me on here of PFA.
Guessing your from Sydney with the mention of Oran Park?
Cheers
Haydn
Old 04-24-2019, 10:50 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reddahaydn
Cheers mate, looking forward to it. Message me on here of PFA.
Guessing your from Sydney with the mention of Oran Park?
Cheers
Haydn
Hi Haydn

Betwene Perth and Sydney. Will mesagwe you in PFA. Need to get used to getting on there more often.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:59 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 506 Likes on 323 Posts

Very interesting car, and history. Thank you for sharing.
I just don't see the point of the CD holder
Old 04-24-2019, 01:19 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 928cs
Very interesting car, and history. Thank you for sharing.
I just don't see the point of the CD holder
Hahaha you have a point mate!! Funny thing is it didn't even hit me till you pointed it out.

Quick Reply: 996 GT3 Clubsport purchased!