Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 GT2/GT3 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum-103/)
-   -   996 gt3 vs 993S (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/1135723-996-gt3-vs-993s.html)

spikej 03-27-2019 03:52 PM

996 gt3 vs 993S

Hi all,

I have a 993S for sometime and with its pss10 and fister, it's a great road car with lots of character. However, the engine feels a bit lackluster especially in the upper rpm. It just doesn't have the urgency and it may be due to the tall gears as well.

Always lusted after a gt3 and had a chance to briefly drive a 996 gt3 on urban streets and freeway and was really blown away with the road feel and the pull of the engine. The car felt more connected to the road than the 993 and the pull from 5 to 8k is just intoxicating. However, I was greatly disappointed to discover that second gear tops out at over 80! I could not wring it out in second without getting into dangerous speed. I wouldn't mind the tall gear so much but the real grunt of the engine is from 5k to redline.

How do you guys who drive the gt3 on the street keep from not getting into serious trouble cause I definitely would. Too bad second doesn't top out around 65 cause that would be really entertaining. Is the gt3 too much for the street if you don't track it?
Bill

KOAN 03-27-2019 04:30 PM

If you drive a 6GT3 on the street, you feel very frustrated, because it really wants to be in the upper revs. You know it and the car knows it.
Mine is mostly a track car.
However, you can change the ring and pinion, and then top speed in 2nd is lower. I forget the #, and will find out soon, as I just did the conversion. Others here surely know.
I came from a '96 993 that I had re-geared. That really transformed the 993...it felt significantly more powerful.

AudiOn19s 03-27-2019 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by KOAN (Post 15733114)
, and will find out soon, as I just did the conversion.

:cheers:

KOAN 03-27-2019 04:43 PM

Had to do some winter maintenance, and thought it would be a good time to do put in the R&P. A few other things popped up, none, unfortunately, performance enhancers. Just $$$.

Marv 03-27-2019 04:51 PM

That's what on-ramps are for. :)

Seriously, I have 135,000 street miles on my red car and never had a ticket. The reason is probably knowing where and when to let it hang out.

The other release is regular autocrossing, which doesn't tax the car's ability to its real limits, but it's well worth doing.

I traded my 993 C2 for my GT3 and never looked back. The newer generation of cars are simply better drivers than the old. Even the more sedate-feeling 991 GT3s will run rings around the 996 GT3, but it depends on what you like (and can afford). The 996 is said to be more analog without the computer-augmentation to improve performance.

The 993 C2S will likely continue to gain value. The GT3 (of any vintage) will likely not. There are simply too many made and by the time they would be considered antique or of historical value, internal combustion engines will not find many roads left to legally run. So buy one and drive it, if that's your heart's desire.

spikej 03-27-2019 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Marv (Post 15733157)

Seriously, I have 135,000 street miles on my red car and never had a ticket. The reason is probably knowing where and when to let it hang out.

The other release is regular autocrossing, which doesn't tax the car's ability to its real limits, but it's well worth doing.

I traded my 993 C2 for my GT3 and never looked back. The newer generation of cars are simply better drivers than the old. Even the more sedate-feeling 991 GT3s will run rings around the 996 GT3, but it depends on what you like (and can afford). The 996 is said to be more analog without the computer-augmentation to improve performance.

The 993 C2S will likely continue to gain value. The GT3 (of any vintage) will likely not. There are simply too many made and by the time they would be considered antique or of historical value, internal combustion engines will not find many roads left to legally run. So buy one and drive it, if that's your heart's desire.

Wow! That many miles without a ticket shows a lot of restraint. I'm just surprised not more gt3 owners complain about the tall gearing which was a big complaint with the gt4 owners.

Onramps are nice but it's still not safe merging onto the freeway at over 80mph.

Regearing either cars would help but wish it wasn't necessary.

I would love to have both cars but that's not possible. I actually prefer 996 to the newer and faster gt3s because of the more analog feel and future values is really not a big issue for me. Hate regrets which is why the decision to swap is so difficult.

Anyone gone back from a gt3 to a slower car?

misterwaterfall 03-27-2019 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Marv (Post 15733157)

Why would you say that gt3's won't increase in value? There are more 993s than 996 or 997 gt3s made.

Marv 03-27-2019 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by spikej (Post 15733239)
Wow! That many miles without a ticket shows a lot of restraint. I'm just surprised not more gt3 owners complain about the tall gearing which was a big complaint with the gt4 owners.

Onramps are nice but it's still not safe merging onto the freeway at over 80mph.

Regearing either cars would help but wish it wasn't necessary.

I would love to have both cars but that's not possible. I actually prefer 996 to the newer and faster gt3s because of the more analog feel and future values is really not a big issue for me. Hate regrets which is why the decision to swap is so difficult. Anyone gone back from a gt3 to a slower car?

It's not as much restraint as common sense. I never speed on a road with houses and sidewalks. I limit my highway cruising speed to 10 mph above the limit, which seems to not excite the patrol cars in Florida. I've even passed them doing that. I try to stay below the fastest traffic and stay right unless I am passing.

I also do not jerk the car around or weave through traffic. Sometimes left-lane drivers require weaving, but using signals and not looking too aggressive is my norm.

As for finding the right car, well, these cars are ≥ than 14 years old and need a comprehensive inspection to be sure you are getting what you expect.

I understand the idea of regret. No one is going to have the exact same reasons and emotional feelings that you will. The only thing I personally miss about the 993 is its looks, which is better than the 996. However, I can't see the GT3's plain-Jane looks once seated in the car. The GT3 just drives like what I define a sports car to be and it's better than a 993 in my opinion.

Also, the stigma of the GT3 and the GT3 RS has been popular for a reason. Some of that might be bragging rights, but the way they drive both lazily and hard has proven to be a very desirable trait which Porsche has been keen to capitalize on and make in greater numbers. The only thing that's now exclusive about the GT cars is the price of entry.

Marv 03-27-2019 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by misterwaterfall (Post 15733275)
Why would you say that gt3's won't increase in value? There are more 993s than 996 or 997 gt3s made.

Good question.

The 997 screwed the 996 GT3 values by fixing the fugly headlights and increased numbers of production. The rarity of the GT3 is a thing of the past, unlike the old 911 RS. The 991 GT3 just added insult to injury. Each generation gathers more appeal and the increasing number of GT3 variations, such as the touring model, just broadens the appeal.

The 993 is the last of the air-cooled and the apotheosis of the design. The other reason has to do with all the young kids of the 1980s and 1990s that drooled over Porsches have grown up and have deep enough pockets to buy some childhood nostalgia. The low number of actual available 993s have caused a price war with these buyers and those with the deepest pockets have no issue shelling out ridiculous amounts of cash of home equity loans to secure their treasure.

Lastly, in about 20+ years there will be few places to drive an internal combustion engine and fuel prices will be very expensive.

Burger 03-27-2019 09:30 PM

That's just for the red ones. The white ones are rare, and will be worth waaaaay more.

spiller 03-28-2019 12:40 AM

The cup car 4.0 ring and pinion shortens the gearing in 1-3 substantially and makes the car a lot more enjoyable both on the road and track. It's how this car should have come from the factory and an essential mod IMO.

As for future values of the 996 GT3, sure the aesthetics kept values down for a while but I don't think it will remain so forever. Prices doubled over the span of a few months in some markets a number of years ago and have steadily been creeping up in the USA. They are a rare car number wise and this, combined with the fact that they're a fantastic driver's car will be the reasons for them being in demand in the future. Most people disliked the impact bumpers car at one point for their aesthetics and now the 930 is one of the most sought after 911s in existence.

cgfen 03-28-2019 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by spikej (Post 15733012)
Hi all,

I have a 993S for sometime and with its pss10 and fister, it's a great road car with lots of character. However, the engine feels a bit lackluster especially in the upper rpm. It just doesn't have the urgency and it may be due to the tall gears as well.

Always lusted after a gt3 and had a chance to briefly drive a 996 gt3 on urban streets and freeway and was really blown away with the road feel and the pull of the engine. The car felt more connected to the road than the 993 and the pull from 5 to 8k is just intoxicating. However, I was greatly disappointed to discover that second gear tops out at over 80! I could not wring it out in second without getting into dangerous speed. I wouldn't mind the tall gear so much but the real grunt of the engine is from 5k to redline.

How do you guys who drive the gt3 on the street keep from not getting into serious trouble cause I definitely would. Too bad second doesn't top out around 65 cause that would be really entertaining. Is the gt3 too much for the street if you don't track it?
Bill

I had a spectacular 96 4S.
I prefer the GT3.
i wrote a comparison post a few years ago if you care to search the GT3 forum under my user name.

Ciao

christallon 03-28-2019 12:50 PM

GT3"s will continue to climb in value. Limited numbers. The 996 is definitely appreciating, especially as it's the last no nannie version ever made. The headlights have come into their own IMHO. They are the GT1 lights, which I think are quite striking. I had a 993 for a month, sold it quickly. The 964 is the early car that really hit all the buttons. Great car!!! The GT3 is better. My .02

Driving it daily would be an exercise in patience, but depending where you live, it's massively rewarding. There's something tangible about knowing you can turn it into a banshee with a quick blip of the throttle. Long live the Metzger!!!

spikej 03-28-2019 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by cgfen (Post 15734907)
I had a spectacular 96 4S.
I prefer the GT3.
i wrote a comparison post a few years ago if you care to search the GT3 forum under my user name.

Ciao

Yes, I have seen that thread although I thought you ranked the 996 gt3 last so I'm presuming you prefer the 997 gt3 over the 993. I wonder if that 6gt3 had alignment issues to have the poor front grip or is that an overwhelming issue vs the later gens. I don't disagree that the 6gt3 is a much more capable car but my concern is that I can't use it's potential on the streets much. I should test the 997 gt3 also but I hear it's got a more muted feel although I'm not sure why that would be the case. I don't need super hp or the fastest but I really want that connected to the road feel, which is why I absolutely adore my E30 M3.

In terms of value, I find it interesting that the low mileage 6gt3s are asking much more than low mileage 7gt3s. Don't know what people are paying but it is striking how the 6gt3s have shot up in value.

porschedog 03-28-2019 01:53 PM

GT3s won't increase in value? Really? I disagree as few were made and many were destroyed or rendered track-only cars. Supply & Demand is the key concept to consider.
Seal Grey ones will be worth waaaaaay more than Good Humor White ones, lol