Sponsored by:

Video & Lap Time - Pro Driver Tom O'Gorman Rips my GT3 around COTA

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 08:08 PM
Rootwitch
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
When I bought my car and first went to the track I was backwards twice on my first few laps...came in and checked the rear sway...PO had it set nearly full hard!
Just finished my first year with mine. Hadn't checked my sway bars until recently, rear is set full hard, and front in the middle. Stock suspension with "track alignment" by PO. Didn't go backwards, probably just driving very cautiously!
Old 03-19-2019, 08:19 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts

It hasn't been discussed, but what were your rear tire pressures out on track?

Spring rates, I ran in the region of 1200/1000 with early 996 cup dampers (non adjustable) and rose jointed suspension and it was amazing on track. Still livable on the street but not everyone's cup of tea. Car was pointy but predictable and progressive. I loved it. I used to run -3.8 camber up front with zero toe, -2.8 in the rear with 3mm total toe in. Sway bars were full stiff up front and one from full in the rear. This was with yoko A050 r-compounds which are exceptionally good, but I also ran this set up in NT01 and whilst they didn't have the overall grip of the yoko, the car was still a pleasure to drive.

Re: exhaust, I shouldn't be suprised it was a Dundon system being heard! I love the sound of the 996 with an exhaust. The Mezger in the 996 cars has this somewhat disorganised note, as if you can hear each individual component in the engine doing it's thing. Something that is lost a bit on the 997s and more so again with the 991 cars.

Last edited by spiller; 03-19-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:19 AM
Anthony Lovero
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller
It hasn't been discussed, but what were your rear tire pressures out on track?

Spring rates, I ran in the region of 1200/1000 with early 996 cup dampers (non adjustable) and rose jointed suspension and it was amazing on track. Still livable on the street but not everyone's cup of tea. Car was pointy but predictable and progressive. I loved it. I used to run -3.8 camber up front with zero toe, -2.8 in the rear with 3mm total toe in. Sway bars were full stiff up front and one from full in the rear. This was with yoko A050 r-compounds which are exceptionally good, but I also ran this set up in NT01 and whilst they didn't have the overall grip of the yoko, the car was still a pleasure to drive.

Re: exhaust, I shouldn't be suprised it was a Dundon system being heard! I love the sound of the 996 with an exhaust. The Mezger in the 996 cars has this somewhat disorganised note, as if you can hear each individual component in the engine doing it's thing. Something that is lost a bit on the 997s and more so again with the 991 cars.
I set the pressures before we went out in that video. It was (hot) 32 rear and 31 front
Old 03-20-2019, 09:22 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I wouldn't run more than about 800-900 on re-valved Bilsteins. I'd pick 800, 850, 900 for the rear and then pick what split you want and establish the front and go with it. I like less split than others and personally run 150 lb split front to rear. It'll be an improvement over what you've got now, it'll help control motion of the car and for the tire you're on it'll be a good spring rate to learn the car on.

I'm not much more than that now as I like a softer car than most...currently I'm at 900 / 1050 but on 3 way JRZ motorsport dampers and it's not enough for slicks but I like the way the car feels, I can still mount Nitto's or Michelin's and go have fun and it works no matter what.

..but get rid of the rubber at the same time. At a minimum do bearings on the inner mount of the lower control arms and the toe arms and then the solid caster pucks. None of those will break the bank and will really help control the rear of the car.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:39 PM
//steve\\
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Loved watching this video. 997.1 is still my dream GT3 but the more I watch video and read about the 996 GT3 the more it's appealing in just that I imagine you really get to feel and sense everything that much more.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:14 PM
Anthony Lovero
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by //steve\\
Loved watching this video. 997.1 is still my dream GT3 but the more I watch video and read about the 996 GT3 the more it's appealing in just that I imagine you really get to feel and sense everything that much more.
100%. It’s lighter but has less power than 997.1. So it can go just as fast on the track, but requires more oomph from the driver.

The interior in the 997 wont fall apart though. You are 50/50 on a 996....
Old 03-20-2019, 02:39 PM
//steve\\
Advanced

Originally Posted by Anthony Lovero

100%. It’s lighter but has less power than 997.1. So it can go just as fast on the track, but requires more oomph from the driver.

The interior in the 997 wont fall apart though. You are 50/50 on a 996....

What in particular goes to crap on the 996 interior? Dash and door cards are the big items to me. I'd probably put different seats in one anyways.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:56 PM
Anthony Lovero
Rennlist Member

What in particular goes to crap on the 996 interior? Dash and door cards are the big items to me. I'd probably put different seats in one anyways.
little plastic bits around the dash. Haven’t had problems with any trim other than stuff in and around the dash.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:28 PM
Anthony Lovero
Rennlist Member

Specifically there are 3 issues i've encountered with the interior.

1 - The dash binnacle squeaks a little (there is a service bulletin on this, I need to pop it off and add some foam)

2 - The trim piece in the middle of the dash (picture 1) used to squeak. I have addressed that with some adhesive foam, but every once in awhile it will pop off

3 - The piece of plastic shown in picture 2 has fallen into the driver's footwell a couple times. Last time was a couple years ago and I forget where it goes. I will get it back on once I decide to get my head under the drivers dash and find where there is a cover missing.

Overall its minor, but it seems the 997 was a big jump in interior quality. Although it seems to have lost some of the "homologation special" feel.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Last edited by Anthony Lovero; 03-20-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:56 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts

Honestly I think the early 997 interior is just as bad if not worse than the 996. Not so much for rattles but the tacky feeling of the buttons and durability of the materials does not seem to be as good (or it’s at least equally as bad) as the 996 from the cars I have seen. I think 997.2 was a big step up on this front.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:17 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

It appears the driver is working the car hard for those times. If your tires are newish, ie less than 8 heat cycles, play with sway bar and consider new shocks and springs. If tires are not new, buy new before experimenting with set up

I ran 31/32 front and 33/34 rear on R888 or AD08R Her is a clip from me driving at COTA at 2:32 time and not working the car as hard. My friend, Rovman on here, ran 2:26 in his 6 on R888 tires.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:23 PM
Anthony Lovero
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tgavem
It appears the driver is working the car hard for those times. If your tires are newish, ie less than 8 heat cycles, play with sway bar and consider new shocks and springs. If tires are not new, buy new before experimenting with set up

I ran 31/32 front and 33/34 rear on R888 or AD08R Her is a clip from me driving at COTA at 2:32 time and not working the car as hard. My friend, Rovman on here, ran 2:26 in his 6 on R888 tires.

https://youtu.be/7EbYRMzUzgU

Nice lap! Yes he was certainly pushing hard. He was trying to keep up with the blue 991 GT3 (I think on slicks), so that probably pushed him to exceed the limit in a couple of the corners. In Tom's defense, those were the only 3 laps he has ever done in my car. In the post lap commentary, he did say he was pushing hard, but the lap was sloppy. But then he gave me the feedback that it feels like its lifting the left rear tire when the suspension is loaded up and he wants to look at the throttle. He normally drives a front wheel drive car, so I thought it was especially impressive that he could just get in and "feel the car" and then lay down such a respectable lap time. He is a beast.

It looks like your car is set up to have a little understeer, the rear end seems very planted. That is probably a good setup for me while I am still learning.

What is the suspension/alignment/swaybar setup on your car?
Do you have the rubber in the rear suspension replaced with metal as recommended by the seasoned 6-3 veterans above?
Was that lap on AD08Rs (used to have those tires, loved them) or R888s?

I will start by setting the front and rear swaybar as recommended by powdrhound and audion19s. However, I want to educate myself as much as possible before moving past that and buying parts. I think I'm going to attend another NASA DE at COTA the weekend of May 5th, so it will be nice to have some small things sorted by that time.

As always, I appreciate everyone's input!
Old 03-21-2019, 03:42 PM
//steve\\
Advanced

Specifically there are 3 issues i've encountered with the interior.

1 - The dash binnacle squeaks a little (there is a service bulletin on this, I need to pop it off and add some foam)

2 - The trim piece in the middle of the dash (picture 1) used to squeak. I have addressed that with some adhesive foam, but every once in awhile it will pop off

3 - The piece of plastic shown in picture 2 has fallen into the driver's footwell a couple times. Last time was a couple years ago and I forget where it goes. I will get it back on once I decide to get my head under the drivers dash and find where there is a cover missing.

Overall its minor, but it seems the 997 was a big jump in interior quality. Although it seems to have lost some of the "homologation special" feel.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Those all seem like very livable annoyances
Old 03-21-2019, 05:49 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

I only did the tarett toe links, original bushings etc. Sway bar was one from stiff front and rear with 600/800 spring ratings on rebuilt Bilsteins.
I started out with the old hairy Dog garage set up and did minor tweaks after

Last edited by tgavem; 03-24-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 126 Posts

Ha! Only suspension mod is tarrett adjustable swaybar end links. Pilot sport cup 2 tires (235/295).
Do you have the front Tarrett end links that mount to the pinch bolt or the more expensive extended links that mounts to the shock body? The former will bind when the steering wheel is turned in tight corners. Also causes understeer/ inside wheel lift. I had them and hated them, switched to the extended ones much better.

I have the same Dundon exhaust. Love it. getting compliments many times at track.The net weigh saving over stock is 63 lbs. (with muffler brackets removed)

Quick Reply: Video & Lap Time - Pro Driver Tom O'Gorman Rips my GT3 around COTA