Sponsored by:

996 GT3 Rotors / Brake Pads

Old 02-24-2019, 09:27 AM
Rennthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 GT3 Rotors / Brake Pads

Hello Enthusiasts,

I'll be returning to the track after some years and I'm making my list of parts to prep my 996 GT3. Historically I've gone with PAGID yellows front/back. I remember a bunch of people going with yellows up front and blacks in the back to get some more bite out of the rear tires. Curious what people are getting the best performance out of these days?

For rotors I've gone with Girodisc slotted which has been a cost effective performance option. Any other recommendations out there?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-24-2019, 09:46 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

PFC for the win. They run all the way to the backing plate.

I still use cayenne rotors for 100 a corner. Never had an issue.

-td
Old 02-24-2019, 10:18 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

I am running Pagid yellow on the front and black on the back with the larger Girodisc rear rotors, standard diameter Girodisc on the front. That is the recommended "formula" if using Pagids (the pads I mean, not the Girodiscs)

As "himself" said above most track guys I have talked to have now switched to PFC's on these cars over Pagid, they seem to be liked better than Pagids. I will probably switch once my current set is worn out.

FWIW Apex Performance is a good source for brake parts. They are the PCA Club Racing official sponsor and offer good pricing. I have no association.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:35 AM
Rennthusiast
Rennlist Member

Thanks! for the PFCs are people running the 11 Compound or the 08 Compound... or a combination similar to the PAGID yellow/black strategy?

@Nickshu for the oversized Girodisc is that the 350mm? Does it require any adjustment on the caliper coming from the OEM 330 disc? Also, drilled or slotted?
Old 02-24-2019, 11:05 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennthusiast
Thanks! for the PFCs are people running the 11 Compound or the 08 Compound... or a combination similar to the PAGID yellow/black strategy?

@Nickshu for the oversized Girodisc is that the 350mm? Does it require any adjustment on the caliper coming from the OEM 330 disc? Also, drilled or slotted?
I am not sure which specific PFCs are popular. Hopefully someone who has used them can chime in.

On the rear rotors - Yes 350mm. They come with aluminum spacers and longer bolts for the calipers to move them outwards a bit. The only issue I ran into is the ABS cable will no longer reach to the stock bracket so some zip-ties are required.

Here is the link on Girodisc's site: https://www.girodisc.com/Girodisc-Re...T3_p_6559.html
Old 02-24-2019, 11:37 AM
Rennthusiast
Rennlist Member

Thanks @Nickshu

@himself do you have an opinion on the 08 vs 11 … or combo 08/11?
Old 02-24-2019, 11:42 AM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Also consider Ferodo DS1.11.
Clarke over at apex performance highly recommended them when I was ordering the PFCs.... I LOVE them.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:45 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennthusiast
Thanks @Nickshu

@himself do you have an opinion on the 08 vs 11 … or combo 08/11?
I always run square with pads. I tried staggered for a couple years and never found any difference. They both work fine and stop like a boat anchor, but I prefer the endurance compound for cost effectiveness. (08)

I may actually have an extra set of 08 fronts sitting around that I got from apex a while back. I had my spec boxster running for a while and the gt3 didn’t get any track time.

-td
Old 02-24-2019, 02:36 PM
Rootwitch
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts

I talked with Clark last week after much reading on pads. I was leaning toward the Ferodo DS1.11 pads and he said that seems to be a very popular option now with people reporting good results.
PFC is very good too, he recommended 08/11 combination. The 08's are tough on rotors, according to everything I've read. I have Pagid yellows on my car now.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:43 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 106 Posts

I have been running Pagid RS29's front and rear for many years and have been happy with the results. They last a long time and are rotor friendly.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:54 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

FWIW I tried a set of the DS1.11 pads on Clark's recommendation and I did not like them. I thought they had really poor initial bite. They were good as far as consistency across temperatures and not fading. I just did not like the initial bite on brake application. Clearly many guys disagree with me and love them.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:50 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Interesting, I was going to start a similar thread to see if PFC was still the go to as my fronts will need replacing soon. I went with 08/11 front/rear combo on my road car and it felt great. No need to bed which is a bonus. Much better initial bite and consistency than the previous RS29s. I am running Project Mu in the front of my 996 cup now (were on the car when I got it) and these also feel pretty good although not as much initial bite as the PFC08. I was looking to try Ferodo DS1.11 next 1) because they are priced fantastically, 2) because they were the control pad for Carrera Cup Aus back in 2004 when my car raced professionally and I thought that was neat. I’m a little apprehensive though as I’ve read they can crumble/delaminate from the backing plate once they start to wear?

My only apprehension about running PFC again is the heat/wear they generate on the rotors.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:19 AM
Rootwitch
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller
Interesting, I was going to start a similar thread to see if PFC was still the go to as my fronts will need replacing soon. I went with 08/11 front/rear combo on my road car and it felt great. No need to bed which is a bonus. Much better initial bite and consistency than the previous RS29s. I am running Project Mu in the front of my 996 cup now (were on the car when I got it) and these also feel pretty good although not as much initial bite as the PFC08. I was looking to try Ferodo DS1.11 next 1) because they are priced fantastically, 2) because they were the control pad for Carrera Cup Aus back in 2004 when my car raced professionally and I thought that was neat. I’m a little apprehensive though as I’ve read they can crumble/delaminate from the backing plate once they start to wear?

My only apprehension about running PFC again is the heat/wear they generate on the rotors.
Yeah, amazing, isn't it? I've read and re-read so many threads on PFC08, 11, and Ferodo (and a few others). I've seen opposite experiences posted in the same thread (e.g. some say PFC08 are very hard on rotors and others, not so much).
I was kind of set of trying the Ferodo's, but Nick's post above caused me to waffle back toward PFC 08. They would be more expensive, but they sure seem tried and true, people have been using them for years and years, can't really go wrong.

Mostly what I want is smoothness and predictable behavior, with more bite than the Pagid RS29's I have now. The Pagids have worked well so far, but it does seem to me that I push on the pedal pretty hard sometimes.
At my starting level, I guess I don't care so much about rotor wear or pad life. Bedding is a bit of a concern, I don't think my Pagids were bedded well by the PO, although they got better after some track days.
PFC's would have an advantage as far as bedding goes. I already have PFC rotors so I'd like to think the PFC pads would work well with them.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:10 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 602 Likes on 341 Posts

Brake pads are like ice cream, everyone likes a different flavor! Some people like low mu, some high. Some like a rising torque curve, some do not. It's literally all over the map, and we see this across all applications. It's always amazing how diverse opinions are on the same product, but that's just the nature of race pads.

As noted by others, the Ferodo DS1.11 is an excellent choice. It has a moderate mu, a nice flat torque curve, easy on discs, easy to bed-in, and very rare that it has any judder or vibration issues. It's just a great all-rounder in a driver-friendly package, and the last a fairly long time as well.

We're also getting set to release Ferodo's newest compound, the DS3.12. It has higher mu across the board vs. the DS1.11, and on our brake dyno it has the flattest torque curve we have ever seen (across all brands). It is essentially impossible to fade for anything a normal person/car would throw at it, since it doesn't show any significant drop in mu until 1600-1700F. We're working on getting all the Porsche OEM caliper applications sorted and stocked. Nickshu, please keep your eyes on these if you want to have another go with Ferodo. The DS3.12 have a very different feel, and most of my customers who have tried them during the prototype phase adore them. Thanks!
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 02-25-2019, 10:19 AM
Burger
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
FWIW I tried a set of the DS1.11 pads on Clark's recommendation and I did not like them. I thought they had really poor initial bite. They were good as far as consistency across temperatures and not fading. I just did not like the initial bite on brake application. Clearly many guys disagree with me and love them.

Can you put this into context? What pads have you previously run which you are comparing initial bite?

I have been tempted to try the DS1.11 pads, as the PFC08s chew through rotors. Luckily, rotors can be found for cheap, but I do always have a spare set with me in case one cracks. This is the concern I'm trying to get away from.

Are the DS1.11 easier on rotors? How does initial bite and wear compare to PFC08s?

TIA

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 996 GT3 Rotors / Brake Pads