Sponsored by:

6GT3 Offerings

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 02:50 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 6GT3 Offerings

Has anyone checked out any of the cars below? The last one is a new posting.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4870/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3333/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9954/overview/
Old 12-10-2018, 03:30 PM
joeycannoli
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First one mentioned "Severe Damage" from an accident listed on the CarFax.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:44 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Buy this one!

Third one: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9954/overview/ I almost bought this very car a few years back from Smith Volvo, in actuality Brent Smith: It was sold to someone else. I chickened out....couldn't break the ties I had with my 993. But I did have GT3 fever and later (Aug 2017) bought a GT3 from a private party in Orange County. Brent Smith sold the 993 for me, got me good money for the car. Would have preferred buying one from Smith Volvo, but they were out of inventory.

Brent Smith has owned greater that 15 of these 6GT3 cars since 2004. And being a true all around Porsche Geek...knows the GT3 inner workings better than most. He has an enviable collection of very special Porsche cars to include a Guards Red 6GT3, a 73 911S, a 993 GT2 clone, a 996 Factory Cup Car that he successfully races with the Porsche Owners Club in SoCal. Brent also has a specialized Porsche shop, SGS Motorsports, where the Porsche inventory gets checked out by Master Mechanic and "Porsche Geek" Guy Ober. If it is not 100%, Brent will wholesale it out. He will not let a car out of his dealership with any known flaws. He has earned an excellent reputation for forthrightness and candor, and he isn't about to lose it to make a few bucks. As an example, he will personally go over the car with a Paint Meter painstakingly looking for repaints/body work that was not disclosed on CarFax. Should there be any concerns about suspected body damage, the car goes up on the rack...it may also be sent out to a local body/paint shop in the San Luis Obispo, CA area for further diagnosis. and a tub check.

My friends and I have bought and sold a number of cars from Brent Smith, all great experiences. Assuming you are buying the car, the car can be seen at SGS Motorsports, about 2 miles from the San Luis Obispo airport. Fly in, see the car, put it up on the rack at SGS, talk to Guy and Brent, take a test drive, make a deal and drive on out! Brent can offer financing through his Volvo Dealership, should that be a requirement....he can also take trade-ins, if need be. If you want a nice low mileage, Speed Yellow 6GT3...this could be it. Buy with confidence.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:02 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joeycannoli
First one mentioned "Severe Damage" from an accident listed on the CarFax.
I saw that on the Carfax, but wondering if someone actually has done a PPI and decided to walk away based on PPI results.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:59 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

I was wondering why 1st one was so low - "Severe Damage"
2nd one $74K for a car with only 13K miles? Seems low, right?
Old 12-11-2018, 01:31 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Am I the only guy who hates when someone calls a roll bar a roll cage?
Old 12-11-2018, 01:57 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Hate it when...

Nobody ever purposely rolls over/crashes a car with a harness bar, a roll bar, a 1/2 cage, call it what you will.*** There is the possibility that the bars that attach to the "B" pillar bolts, one on either side, and bars that in conjunction also attach to the rear seat belt bolt receptacles, again, one on either side, could work just fine, the Porsche Tequipment bar as an example. But in my "pea brain", I want something a little more on the sturdy side, so I only considered the only two (2) devices I knew of at the time, RSS and Cantrell. Went for the RSS...It was on sale at Stabile Energies. But the Cantrell looked very good too. Both 1/2 cages bolt to the chassis in front with 4 bolts on either side secured to an anchor plate on the underside and to the rear strut towers.

***In my humble opinion, I cannot call the Porsche Tequipment bar a 1/2 cage by any stretch of the imagination. But then again, perhaps my imagination is flawed, the Porsche engineers surely know more than I do. My "gut" tells me the Tequipment attachment points are questionable, having a mere 4 bolts attaching it to the chassis. But who knows, it may be just fine.....who knows is the point that concerns me. My RSS bar could fail in an incident, but it would have to be a severe incident I am thinking.

Lastly, I had a Tequipment bar with a stock GT3 seat. Seat extension to the rear was compromised. The bar came out and was replaced with the RSS.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:35 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Nobody ever purposely rolls over/crashes a car with a harness bar, a roll bar, a 1/2 cage, call it what you will.*** There is the possibility that the bars that attach to the "B" pillar bolts, one on either side, and bars that in conjunction also attach to the rear seat belt bolt receptacles, again, one on either side, could work just fine, the Porsche Tequipment bar as an example. But in my "pea brain", I want something a little more on the sturdy side, so I only considered the only two (2) devices I knew of at the time, RSS and Cantrell. Went for the RSS...It was on sale at Stabile Energies. But the Cantrell looked very good too. Both 1/2 cages bolt to the chassis in front with 4 bolts on either side secured to an anchor plate on the underside and to the rear strut towers.

***In my humble opinion, I cannot call the Porsche Tequipment bar a 1/2 cage by any stretch of the imagination. But then again, perhaps my imagination is flawed, the Porsche engineers surely know more than I do. My "gut" tells me the Tequipment attachment points are questionable, having a mere 4 bolts attaching it to the chassis. But who knows, it may be just fine.....who knows is the point that concerns me. My RSS bar could fail in an incident, but it would have to be a severe incident I am thinking.

Lastly, I had a Tequipment bar with a stock GT3 seat. Seat extension to the rear was compromised. The bar came out and was replaced with the RSS.
Martin - I just said that I didn't like a roll bar being called a roll cage. They are two different things. I wasn't expecting a rundown of your selection process and equipment as a response - but so be it. Its your keyboard.

For the record I have a Porsche Club Sport cage in my car. You didn't mention it, but its surely one of the best safety options. FIA approved and good enough for Walter Rohrl.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:57 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Did I touch a nerve?

i like to share what I have learned, to save others having to learn the hard way (read expensive). I went through two harness bars before honing in on the RSS, would have gotten the Cantrel if the RSS didn’t work out.

i am so pleased you have found a roll cage to your satisfaction. That’s very nice. Unfortunately, some of us also drive out cars on the street, and getting into a serious incident on the street with a cage and no helmet on, is a great opportunity to scramble your brains.

I wont ask the obvious question.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:00 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

i like to share what I have learned, to save others having to learn the hard way (read expensive). I went through two harness bars before honing in on the RSS, would have gotten the Cantrel if the RSS didn’t work out.

i am so pleased you have found a roll cage to your satisfaction. That’s very nice. Unfortunately, some of us also drive out cars on the street, and getting into a serious incident on the street with a cage and no helmet on, is a great opportunity to scramble your brains.

I wont ask the obvious question.
Why yes. Yes I do call it a roll cage. thanks for asking!
Old 12-12-2018, 09:42 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Lets get back to the topic at hand - too many threads devolve this way.

who's buying this one?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Old 12-12-2018, 10:03 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Probably someone who has the cash, and has heard this is the last great "porsch." Drives it for 500 miles and puts it up FS for $130K.

See 964RSA for the classic version of the same movie.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:40 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by 177mph
Am I the only guy who hates when someone calls a roll bar a roll cage?
I'm more in the camp of being annoyed by people referring to Anti Roll Bars as "sways", but................................
Old 12-12-2018, 04:30 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like the market price is increasing. Will follow closely
Old 12-13-2018, 11:46 AM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

We recently had one of our cages "tested" in spectacular fashion in a Nissan Gtr at triple digit speed with multiple rolls. The bar we installed in the car was a bolt-in affair utilizing the Seat belt style attachment like the Equipment bar, and in the end the roof structure remained in tact and didn't intrude past the bar into the drivers department.

I've always said, and still will say these are harness bars and not roll bars, but the results of this accident left me feeling quite secure that this mounting solution is a viable one.

Swine11 ReBoot - 964 / 993 Shift Boot Trim Panel

2004 996 GT3 | 1986 Carrera 3.2 (future Keen Project) | 2016 Cayenne Diesel

Quick Reply: 6GT3 Offerings