Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6GT3 Offerings

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 12:44 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Love the higher pricing. My car truly worth good $$. Totally refreshed & dialed in.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:54 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Love the higher pricing. My car truly worth good $$. Totally refreshed & dialed in.
Agreed - hope the market continues to increase.....
Old 12-13-2018, 12:56 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

These cars are great value as track cars at $50-60K, but at $70-80K, have reached their diminishing return.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:03 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
These cars are great value as track cars at $50-60K, but at $70-80K, have reached their diminishing return.
How do you figure? Extremely limited production (especially considering todays GT3 production numbers), Mezger motor, modern interior/amenities, ABS only etc. The list goes on and on and on. I firmly believe 6GT3s will continue to go up in value and be worth over $100k at some point.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:17 PM
//steve\\
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

The thing that sucks most as the values go up and some of us younger guys that hope to have one someday see the dream slowly fading away. I don't want one so it can sit in a garage and be part of a collection. I want one to drive. Easy to say when on the outside though because if I had one I'd want the values to stay up too. My hope is that in 5-7 years when I'm hopefully in a position to afford one I don't have to pay more than $75K-ish for a good/well maintained version.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:30 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by //steve\\
The thing that sucks most as the values go up and some of us younger guys that hope to have one someday see the dream slowly fading away.
this happens to everyone at different times during the overall timeline. there are always those cars we wish you could afford, but they keep gaining value as you gain in income/resources. sometimes the gap grows, other times you actually catch up to the purchase. the 6GT3 is a high desire car for me also, but it's a matter of acquisition beyond what i have currently. at the moment, the 6GT3 is outpacing my available resources, but that won't last forever. i have a number of 'bucket list' cars that need to be considered when the timing is right. if i just had ONE bucket list car, this whole exercise would be so much easier!!
Old 12-13-2018, 02:39 PM
PCA7GGR
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Also consider that for its limited production run a large percentage have seen on track “incidents” that would be reflected in the limited availability of i damaged examples.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:21 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by //steve\\
The thing that sucks most as the values go up and some of us younger guys that hope to have one someday see the dream slowly fading away. I don't want one so it can sit in a garage and be part of a collection. I want one to drive. Easy to say when on the outside though because if I had one I'd want the values to stay up too. My hope is that in 5-7 years when I'm hopefully in a position to afford one I don't have to pay more than $75K-ish for a good/well maintained version.
I wanted one of these since i first saw one back in '04 at an autocross in NY. I was a broke college kid. 13 years later, decided to finally buy one because i figured i may not be able to afford one later. I should have bought one 5 years ago when they were still $50k.

Nader, what kind of car are you looking for? Garage queen / daily driver / dual purpose street and track?
Old 12-13-2018, 10:37 PM
KenW
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Where's Mooty? Coolest guy ever, hope all's well.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:18 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA7GGR
Also consider that for its limited production run a large percentage have seen on track “incidents” that would be reflected in the limited availability of i damaged examples.
That's true - but I see that as an entry point for folks who want a "track only" car. Cars that have had incidents - if repaired properly - make great track cars. And since their value is lower - makes a great deal.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:30 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

The GT3 use to be on top of the food chain. As far as a track car there are few cars more engaging so I felt it worth the investment to properly attempt to maintain this marvelous machine. Which was somewhat special when I got it it in many ways. It's amazing the advancements in technology making it is mid pack now but the new stuff just isn't there for me.. So a higher $$ for a properly worked version for the right person is realistic.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:20 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
I wanted one of these since i first saw one back in '04 at an autocross in NY. I was a broke college kid. 13 years later, decided to finally buy one because i figured i may not be able to afford one later. I should have bought one 5 years ago when they were still $50k.

Nader, what kind of car are you looking for? Garage queen / daily driver / dual purpose street and track?
80%+ track car.

Originally Posted by 177mph
That's true - but I see that as an entry point for folks who want a "track only" car. Cars that have had incidents - if repaired properly - make great track cars. And since their value is lower - makes a great deal.
Repaired properly and/or lower value do not always apply. In the eyes of the beholder, I guess.

The GT3 use to be on top of the food chain. As far as a track car there are few cars more engaging so I felt it worth the investment to properly attempt to maintain this marvelous machine. Which was somewhat special when I got it it in many ways. It's amazing the advancements in technology making it is mid pack now but the new stuff just isn't there for me.. So a higher $$ for a properly worked version for the right person is realistic.
Let me just say that I do not intend to flame GT3 owners in the GT3 forum on RL or elsewhere. I also have been around various forums and around track long enough to know that RL is small community that does not reflect the larger Porsche community. I am fairy OC, and have to go around a decision many ways. I have looked at/talked to several owners/shops and have done PPIs on 1-2 GT3s.
I am looking for a car that will replace a highly developed 993 which I used for 1-3 races a year with PCA, but was a frequent DEs car shared with my wife. The car was maintained with an open checkbook based on time of use, and not when things failed, and even that did not prevent the need to do some repairs at the track. I have bought a 914-6 to do vintage racing, so, as much as we loved the 993, having two race cars that neither could not be driven to the track, if we wanted to have both there, did not make sense.
I want a streetable track car that will likely not see much street use. As is human nature, I am gravitated to what I know, which are cars without "e-nannies" that makes 6GT3 an attractive choice. However, I actually remember when we thought/discussed threshold braking on the track because there were many cars without ABS. Now, I threshold braking is a footnote discussion, so perhaps I should not shy off the new technology.
I am not afraid to buy cars that have has accident or are high mileage, if they were repaired and maintained correctly. I actually want a car that is set up for track, preferably with a decent roll bar, GT3 seats, and harness. What I find are cars with 20-35K miles asking $$$ (some examples above). Almost all are 3-5 owner cars with some owners keeping them for a short time. Many have evidence of track use, but the track goodies have been removed to appeal to mass market. Many do not show level 3 or above over-revs, but some have large number of level 1 and 2 over-revs, about 50% have had track accident repaired that does not show on Carfax. There are some that do not have the coolant hoses welded. None that I have checked have evidence of recent LSD rebuilt, but worked within spec. No matter how many track days are on the car, no evidence of stub axle replacement or bearing maintenance, or shock/struts rebuild. As said, to me all of these are timed maintenance. I do 15 track days a year, I rebuild coilovers every 5 years as preventive. I am also aware of several cars with high track miles that needed transmission rebuild when getting to around 50K miles. I hear the same from shops who say do not worry about the engine, but the transmission is a wear item. I missed a car that checked most boxes at $60K by about 2 weeks.
I am not arguing current or future price of these cars. All I am saying is that in my opinion, with 6GT3 >$80K, there are many other cars to consider for track use. 996 can be a great and disposable track cars. If a 6GT3 cost $85K all in, why not buy a 7.1GT3 for about the same price, either deactivate the PSM or use a motorsport ABS to remove nannies. Early 997.2 or a second generation Cayman S can be build with all new parts for what a 6GT3 cost. Again, the merits of all of these choices can be debated, but like everything in life there is $ to enjoyment relationship. For me, >$80K 6GT3 as a track car reaches that threshold. Others may pay a lot more.
I have not posted something this long in a long time, if ever. One thing I can tell is that if 6GT3 is most at home on the track, the increase in price will keep it off track, the same as has happened to the air-cooled cars.
Cheers

Old 12-14-2018, 12:37 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

I could not afford to upgrade to say a GT4 which would be more comfortable for my age. So dropping 20+ was a better alternative.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:50 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Nader, the most recent Panorama has an advert for one at $60K IIRC with some track mods, etc. Don't know the car so FYI only.... GL!
Old 12-22-2018, 10:28 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cello
Nader, the most recent Panorama has an advert for one at $60K IIRC with some track mods, etc. Don't know the car so FYI only.... GL!
Thanks. I look for it, but if it is an 04 red car, I saw it on PCA classified, but it has been removed. There is also an 05 red car with extensive track modes in PCA classified that I am mulling over. I am starting to wonder if a regular 996 might be more suitable for my needs. A disposable track car, sort of speak.

BTW, I made an offer of $60K pending PPI on the yellow one in AL and they said no. I noticed the price is dropped by another $2K.

Quick Reply: 6GT3 Offerings