Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flimsy OEM gas pedal! – Replacement alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 02:10 AM
JB GT3 996
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Flimsy OEM gas pedal! – Replacement alternatives?

Hi to all, as I’m sure many who track their cars regularly find out, the factory gas pedal is flimsy re-both it’s construction and stability. Certainly not helping with effective heel and toe.
The only replacement option I’ve found is this quality item from TARETT $325

What are most people doing re this issue?
Anyone fabricated something directly?
Cheers.

https://www.tarett.com/items/996-997...x-3-detail.htm
Old 11-20-2018, 08:57 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

Rennline fully adjustable gas pedal. Highly recommended. Makes heal/toe soooo easy.

Edit...I guess same one is sold by Tarett, looks identical to your link there from Rennline or Tarett.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:23 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I think a lot of the 6GT3 folks use the rennline pedal extenders on the oem pedal. I’ve had that setup for almost a decade and it seems to work fine.

-td
Old 11-20-2018, 03:35 PM
Tarett Engineering
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Rennline fully adjustable gas pedal. Highly recommended. Makes heal/toe soooo easy.

Edit...I guess same one is sold by Tarett, looks identical to your link there from Rennline or Tarett.
The kit also replaces the problematic pivot point that is known to break on the OEM pedal.

Ira

www.Tarett.com | Sales@Tarett.com | 858.674.5573

Check out our new Suspension Package Designer

Old 11-22-2018, 08:54 PM
JB GT3 996
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tarett Engineering
The kit also replaces the problematic pivot point that is known to break on the OEM pedal.

Ira
exactly Ira well said. I just wish you could sell directly in Australia as we all respect your quality. The shipping charges just add up for us, kind regards
Old 11-22-2018, 09:04 PM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I've been contemplating a fix of this lately for mine as well, it has the Rennline adjustable pedal part installed but has some rock as yours does. Might have to add the Tarrett base in the near future.

Swine11 ReBoot - 964 / 993 Shift Boot Trim Panel

2004 996 GT3 | 1986 Carrera 3.2 (future Keen Project) | 2016 Cayenne Diesel

Old 11-22-2018, 09:04 PM
JB GT3 996
Instructor

Originally Posted by himself
I think a lot of the 6GT3 folks use the rennline pedal extenders on the oem pedal. I’ve had that setup for almost a decade and it seems to work fine.

-td
Ira, can you please advise shipping cost to Perth 6000 Australia, in cheapest option in no rush to receive, many thanks
Old 11-22-2018, 10:27 PM
JB GT3 996
Instructor

Hi again guys, perhaps I’m wrong but in fact I think the products are quite different? The Rennline item completely replaces the factory pedal, the Tarett unit compliments it but still uses part of the factory item? Happy to hear any clarification! Thank you
Old 11-23-2018, 12:07 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by JB GT3 996
Hi again guys, perhaps I’m wrong but in fact I think the products are quite different? The Rennline item completely replaces the factory pedal, the Tarett unit compliments it but still uses part of the factory item? Happy to hear any clarification! Thank you
The fully adjustable gas pedal sold by both Rennline and Tarett are completely identical. Exactly the same product. You must remove the original pedal from the car, disassemble it, cut it, then install the original plastic pedal case over the fully adjustable pedal. It requires cutting plastic, cutting a little carpet on the right side of the pedal area, and drilling I think one hole in the footwell area.

Rennline also sells a cheaper alternative that screws on top of the original plastic pedal and has screws that allow a little height adjustment. This model is completely different from the fully adjustable model. You cannot add the fully adjustable base to the "screw on top of the plastic pedal" type. They are completely different products.

Hope that clears it up. I have owned both versions... The cheap "on top" version which honestly is mostly for looks (it doesn't adjust much) and the complete fully adjustable model.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:27 PM
Tarett Engineering
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
The fully adjustable gas pedal sold by both Rennline and Tarett are completely identical. Exactly the same product. You must remove the original pedal from the car, disassemble it, cut it, then install the original plastic pedal case over the fully adjustable pedal. It requires cutting plastic, cutting a little carpet on the right side of the pedal area, and drilling I think one hole in the footwell area.

Rennline also sells a cheaper alternative that screws on top of the original plastic pedal and has screws that allow a little height adjustment. This model is completely different from the fully adjustable model. You cannot add the fully adjustable base to the "screw on top of the plastic pedal" type. They are completely different products.

Hope that clears it up. I have owned both versions... The cheap "on top" version which honestly is mostly for looks (it doesn't adjust much) and the complete fully adjustable model.
Yes, what Nick said.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:15 PM
JB GT3 996
Instructor

many thanks guys for the clarifications, all understood
Old 12-02-2018, 04:54 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

The fully adjustable one made by Rennline is amazing. Sounds like the Tarrett may be the same. It was one of the first things I replaced in my car, because the pedal hinge was broken and cobbled together by a prior owner. Highly recommended.

Quick Reply: Flimsy OEM gas pedal! – Replacement alternatives?