Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Rotors - best Bang for your bucks?

Old 10-19-2018, 06:17 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by JB GT3 996

thanks for all of your fantastic advice! I’ve looked at the DBA 350mm ones for Cayenne and they also have a 2 part floating-rotor at good prices.
Any reason why you haven’t chosen to use these yourself?
When you say drilled out you mean the five attaching stud holes? Is this a complex job?

That would be the DBA 5000 you are referring to. How much are those? I would be reluctant to pay any more than about $5-600 for a pair of DBA but it may be worth pricing up the cost to replace the rings of the 5000 as it may not be much more expensive over the long run. I went with the expensive brembo on my road car GT3 because the previous owner had gone to the trouble of fitting the front and rear and back then I adopted a no expense spared attitude with my car. Whilst I had good results I’ve learnt that you don’t always need to spend huge $$ on a Porsche to a) have fun and b) go fast so when it comes time to replace rotors on my cup car I’ll be going the more cost effective route. As for the drilling, you may not even need to do it for the street car but yes the 5 stud holes and it can be done with a hand drill. Keep us updated on how you go!
Old 10-20-2018, 01:25 AM
DER951
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I think I once read where one version of the Panamera used rear rotors that were interchangeable with rears on a 6GT3, in the same manner that Cayenne rotors work on the front. I can't find that reference now, anyone know if this is so?
Old 10-20-2018, 02:51 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

As for rear rotors, does anyone know if there is any difference between the Sebro branded and OEM Porsche? see link below. $208 for a pair seems too cheap??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911...MAAMXQBwlRJ4N7

Demon speed do a slotted rear rotor for a $465 pair. Not as cheap as the Cayenne but sure to outlast the oem drilled.

https://www.demonspeedmotorsports.co...SM-996SRBR.htm
Old 10-20-2018, 08:40 AM
LIS
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been using Centric slotted rotors in the rear. They cross-reference with base Panamera rears.
Part #'s are 226.37039 and 226.37040. They are ~$45 each from Amazon.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:49 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LIS
I've been using Centric slotted rotors in the rear. They cross-reference with base Panamera rears.
Part #'s are 226.37039 and 226.37040. They are ~$45 each from Amazon.
How are you finding these? Looks like they’re currently $31 each on amazon. The vanes do not look directional from the pic, unlike OEM. Can you confirm this and are they are straight up installation?
Old 10-22-2018, 08:02 AM
LIS
Instructor

I found them by figuring out the Centric part # codes. and matching them up with the part # for the GT3.
The first 3 numbers are the type of rotor (from http://www.centricparts.com/products/product-groups):
ROTORS AND DRUMS
120 CENTRIC PREMIUM BRAKE ROTORS
121 C-TEK STANDARD BRAKE ROTORS
122 CENTRIC PREMIUM BRAKE DRUMS
123 C-TEK STANDARD BRAKE DRUMS
124 BRAKE HUBS
125 CENTRIC PREMIUM HIGH CARBON BRAKE ROTORS
126 CENTRIC PREMIUM HIGH CARBON OE DESIGN SLOTTED BRAKE ROTORS
127 CENTRIC PREMIUM HIGH CARBON OE DESIGN DRILLED & SLOTTED BRAKE ROTORS
128 CENTRIC PREMIUM HIGH CARBON OE DESIGN CROSS DRILLED BRAKE ROTORS

The stock part #s for the GT3 are:
Rear Right 128.37039
Rear Left 128.37040
Front Right 128.37043
Front Left 128.37042

If you substitute the first three digits (126 for slotted), you get 126.37039 for the rear right. Doing a search for this shows it as a Panamera part.
Note that not all combinations exist- but it's easy to search for the combination you want, to see if it exists and if so, for what car.
Some places (like Rockauto) will show these as optional parts, but not always.

Yes- the vanes are directional, and yes- they are a straight up installation.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:45 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

The brake rotor discussion on the 6gt3 board is like an annual holiday. Everyone comes in to post info and then leaves again for another year.....
Old 10-22-2018, 08:36 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Let me sign in for this year

[QUOTE=177mph;15378124]The brake rotor discussion on the 6gt3 board is like an annual holiday. Everyone comes in to post info and then leaves again for another year..... [/QUOTE)

It's that time. I am thinking, the OP is driving a 996 GT3 CS (Club Sport), were it available in the US. and in decent shape, maybe a $100.000 + car. And here were are trying to save a few Euros. Please.

As I prepared my GT3 for some track work, had the PCCBs, took those rotors and their pads off. In a moment of cheapness, I looked at the Cayenne S front rotors....they are boat anchors, and the ones I saw were solid. So for the front I went with GIRO slotted, two piece, $1,200 a pair for rotors and hats, ouch....but they are crafted for racing. When its time for replacement, I need only buy the rotors, and re-use the hats. For the rear, I went for Serbo slotted 350mm rotors from a 997 Turbo.

That's It from me on brakes for 2018.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:05 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LIS
I found them by figuring out the Centric part # codes. and matching them up with the part # for the GT3.
The first 3 numbers are the type of rotor (from http://www.centricparts.com/products/product-groups):
ROTORS AND DRUMS
120 CENTRIC PREMIUM BRAKE ROTORS
121 C-TEK STANDARD BRAKE ROTORS
122 CENTRIC PREMIUM BRAKE DRUMS
123 C-TEK STANDARD BRAKE DRUMS
124 BRAKE HUBS
125 CENTRIC PREMIUM HIGH CARBON BRAKE ROTORS
126 CENTRIC PREMIUM HIGH CARBON OE DESIGN SLOTTED BRAKE ROTORS
127 CENTRIC PREMIUM HIGH CARBON OE DESIGN DRILLED & SLOTTED BRAKE ROTORS
128 CENTRIC PREMIUM HIGH CARBON OE DESIGN CROSS DRILLED BRAKE ROTORS

The stock part #s for the GT3 are:
Rear Right 128.37039
Rear Left 128.37040
Front Right 128.37043
Front Left 128.37042

If you substitute the first three digits (126 for slotted), you get 126.37039 for the rear right. Doing a search for this shows it as a Panamera part.
Note that not all combinations exist- but it's easy to search for the combination you want, to see if it exists and if so, for what car.
Some places (like Rockauto) will show these as optional parts, but not always.

Yes- the vanes are directional, and yes- they are a straight up installation.
Thank you for the great information! Have you tried them on track? How are they holding up?
Old 10-23-2018, 07:55 AM
LIS
Instructor

Originally Posted by spiller

Thank you for the great information! Have you tried them on track? How are they holding up?
Yes, I use them on the track. They hold up great, I haven't had to change them out yet after 40+ track days.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:20 PM
JB GT3 996
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller

That would be the DBA 5000 you are referring to. How much are those? I would be reluctant to pay any more than about $5-600 for a pair of DBA but it may be worth pricing up the cost to replace the rings of the 5000 as it may not be much more expensive over the long run. I went with the expensive brembo on my road car GT3 because the previous owner had gone to the trouble of fitting the front and rear and back then I adopted a no expense spared attitude with my car. Whilst I had good results I’ve learnt that you don’t always need to spend huge $$ on a Porsche to a) have fun and b) go fast so when it comes time to replace rotors on my cup car I’ll be going the more cost effective route. As for the drilling, you may not even need to do it for the street car but yes the 5 stud holes and it can be done with a hand drill. Keep us updated on how you go!
thanks again for all of your fantastic support!The two piece floating slotted rotor from DBA are $1100 Australian. Replacing just the rotors afterwards not the hats is about $600. This is the 5000 T3 model
obviously worth considering given the weight savings with the aluminium hats
that said, my workshop has raised some concern regards the quality of the DBA products.

as a comparison to import SEBRO OEM solid rotors from the USA is about $600 Australian.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:31 PM
JB GT3 996
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Martin S.;15379290]
Originally Posted by 177mph
The brake rotor discussion on the 6gt3 board is like an annual holiday. Everyone comes in to post info and then leaves again for another year..... [/QUOTE)

It's that time. I am thinking, the OP is driving a 996 GT3 CS (Club Sport), were it available in the US. and in decent shape, maybe a $100.000 + car. And here were are trying to save a few Euros. Please.

As I prepared my GT3 for some track work, had the PCCBs, took those rotors and their pads off. In a moment of cheapness, I looked at the Cayenne S front rotors....they are boat anchors, and the ones I saw were solid. So for the front I went with GIRO slotted, two piece, $1,200 a pair for rotors and hats, ouch....but they are crafted for racing. When its time for replacement, I need only buy the rotors, and re-use the hats. For the rear, I went for Serbo slotted 350mm rotors from a 997 Turbo.

as the OP I don’t fully agree with your comments!
When you track the car seriously often bang for your bucks comes into consideration, especially re-tires and brakes.

However I do agree with your outcome, 2piece slotted make sense re-performance and replacing only the rings afterwards Thanks for your input.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:22 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JB GT3 996
as the OP I don’t fully agree with your comments!
When you track the car seriously often bang for your bucks comes into consideration, especially re-tires and brakes.

However I do agree with your outcome, 2piece slotted make sense re-performance and replacing only the rings afterwards Thanks for your input.

Originally Posted by Martin S.

I'm with the OP on this. I also drive Sumi's on the street - so you know where I fall out on the cost front

Saving $1,000 a year on one consumable is meaningful and very acceptable, even assuming a $100K car. It's not like you are getting boat anchors that will cause your car to explode or not stop. You're getting a slightly heavier piece of metal. There's no safety issue, just a weight issue that none of us driving street cars on the track will ever be able to notice. And I'm not aware of any appreciable performance improvement either. [FWIW, I've driven my GT3 over ~10 years with the boat anchors. In that time, it seems like I've saved ~$10K on rotors alone (over the $1,200 number)]

-td
Old 10-28-2018, 12:41 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm still running Deman rotors as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Rotors - best Bang for your bucks?