996 GT3 RS Imported to the USA

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 01:08 PM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 71 Posts
Default 996 GT3 RS Imported to the USA

Not sure if this was posted, but here is the link to article on Jalopnick.
Chet

https://jalopnik.com/these-heroes-im...ver-1828791836
Old 09-05-2018, 02:42 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Cool car. I wonder if the motor and gearing are the same as in the GT3, or if they are from the Cup.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:45 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

They want $350k for it. I'll wager someone from rennlist is gonna inquire about it...
Old 09-08-2018, 07:13 PM
NXI20
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
Cool car. I wonder if the motor and gearing are the same as in the GT3, or if they are from the Cup.
Same gearing as the GT3, the engine was ruputedly always good for a bit more power - circa 400bhp is often quoted. LWFW as standard, all 996.2 GT3s were DM.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:39 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by zirrah
They want $350k for it. I'll wager someone from rennlist is gonna inquire about it...
Its a cool car, but lot of other options I would rather have for 350k. Its rare right now because no one has imported them, but cant see this holding 350k value over time especially once these hit the 25 year old import threshold.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:01 PM
bubba928
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Agree.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:17 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
The 996 GT3RS was basically a GT3 with stickers and a body kit.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:34 AM
Stephen Tinker
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
The 996 GT3RS was basically a GT3 with stickers and a body kit.
Not quite true.....

The RS was basically a homologation model to allow Porsche to complete in International GT racing which included (among other things) :

1) Revised adjustable suspension with different mounting points - which is also stiffer than the standard GT3.
2) A weight saving of 50kg which gave a 4% better power to weight ratio than the GT3.
3) A full roll cage fitted as standard + front side cage came with the car but not fitted, fire extinguisher and remote battery isolation switch / cut off.
4) Poly carbonite rear window & carbon reinforced bonnet (hood), rear wing and mirrors.
5) Single mass flywheel.with a lower rotating mass.
6) As noted above by NX120, the engine is "supposedly" the same as a standard GT3 but has, I believe, a different engine code, GT3 = M96/79, GT3RS = M97/80. Porsche said at the time that the RS engine cylinder head had different geometry ports that had been "optimised". Read into that what you will, but most RS engines seem to have extra power delivery over the standard GT3.

A GT3 with a sticker and body kit it is not....
Old 09-11-2018, 11:14 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Tinker
Not quite true.....
You didn't click the link I posted did you? We hashed out the differences back in 2006'ish. Including a few other threads where we dissected what you copied from the Service Technik. I know of two wannabees that were built as clones minus the cylinder header updates. The owners were able to achieve similar performance improvements via ECU tuning and for them, it wasn't worth tearing into the engine. That said, there were intake port changes. The regular GT3 having slightly less angle. These show the machining steps between the RS and the RSR but you can imagine a progression where the regular GT3 port was more vertical than the GT3RS.

The changes are evident in this photo; GT3 on the left, GT3RS in the middle, GT3-CUP on the right but very similar to the RSR without the beryllium and different valve sizes (no FIA restrictor...)

The majority of the suspension changes to the RS were made to allow Porsche to further lower the RSR without messing up the suspension geometry by machining the subframe mounts and the raw hub carriers (and for ex. removing the brake caliper mounts). The machining steps below are for the RSR but you get the point.

There is no question it is an RS but...
Old 09-12-2018, 01:21 AM
Stephen Tinker
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You are right Jason, sorry, I didn't notice the link - it wasn't highlighted on my PC for some reason. Apologies - but your latest diagram and pictures make it much clearer what the factory did to get the higher HP and suspension upgrade.
After saying that, the ultra pricing for the RS version in Europe (and it costs over double the GT3 asking prices here in Oz) makes me question the current values....
Old 09-12-2018, 04:30 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Tinker
You are right Jason, sorry, I didn't notice the link - it wasn't highlighted on my PC for some reason. Apologies - but your latest diagram and pictures make it much clearer what the factory did to get the higher HP and suspension upgrade.
After saying that, the ultra pricing for the RS version in Europe (and it costs over double the GT3 asking prices here in Oz) makes me question the current values....
Agree, its hard to justify the value difference with performance. It’s a little bit like the difference between a 997.2rs and a 997rs4.0, One of the reasons the 4.0 has skyrocketed is because its numbered.
The 996rs is more rare than the 997rs4.0. Porsche made 682 996gt3rs and many have been crashed. And if you are looking for a mint condition, no track 996rs they are unicorns.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:28 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
You didn't click the link I posted did you? We hashed out the differences back in 2006'ish. Including a few other threads where we dissected what you copied from the Service Technik. I know of two wannabees that were built as clones minus the cylinder header updates. The owners were able to achieve similar performance improvements via ECU tuning and for them, it wasn't worth tearing into the engine. That said, there were intake port changes. The regular GT3 having slightly less angle. These show the machining steps between the RS and the RSR but you can imagine a progression where the regular GT3 port was more vertical than the GT3RS.

The changes are evident in this photo; GT3 on the left, GT3RS in the middle, GT3-CUP on the right but very similar to the RSR without the beryllium and different valve sizes (no FIA restrictor...)

The majority of the suspension changes to the RS were made to allow Porsche to further lower the RSR without messing up the suspension geometry by machining the subframe mounts and the raw hub carriers (and for ex. removing the brake caliper mounts). The machining steps below are for the RSR but you get the point.

There is no question it is an RS but...
I don’t get it, you say in one post that a 996 RS is basically a GT3 with a body kit and sticker, and then in your next post you go on to highlight what are some fairly major differences between to the two cars. Did I miss the sarcasm?

I never knew the 996 cup heads were that much different from 996 GT3. Interesting because my 996 GT3 road car with full M&M exhaust system, IPD inlet plenum, 997 TB and tune felt a lot beefier in torque and power than my factory standard 996 cup does. I also suspect it would have run rings around a factory 996 RS
Old 09-14-2018, 02:17 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller

I don’t get it, you say in one post that a 996 RS is basically a GT3 with a body kit and sticker, and then in your next post you go on to highlight what are some fairly major differences between to the two cars. Did I miss the sarcasm?

I never knew the 996 cup heads were that much different from 996 GT3. Interesting because my 996 GT3 road car with full M&M exhaust system, IPD inlet plenum, 997 TB and tune felt a lot beefier in torque and power than my factory standard 996 cup does. I also suspect it would have run rings around a factory 996 RS
Spot on, my modified 996gt3 will run rings around my 996rs. My engine isn’t tuned so even with my M&M exhaust and 997gt3 center muffler the 996rs feels stronger.
But, MCS suspension and a bit more aero and other small modifications is enough to make it faster than the stock 996rs.
Would be very interesting to hear if someone knows the differences between the 996rs and the 997.1rs engine. I would think they are almost identical?
Old 02-18-2021, 05:40 PM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

late but relevant continuation of this thread.

The engine codes for the 996 GT3 RS =

M96/79-634 xxx xx

I have seen this recently on several cars as i am about to buy one and in doing so, take my research very serious.

The interesting and curious thing is, that engine code M79/80-634 is also mentioned in this thread before, and also in the book of Jürgen Barth.
So one would assume that only that type of engine number is correct but the contrary is true.

I have seen already 3 examples of 996 GT3 RS, where the engine was a type M96/79-634
These have been verified by the date label sticker under the hood, and in the service book, but also by cross checking this with Porsche's original Build Sheet.
This info can be acquired through the dealer network and will tell you the engine and gearbox number when the car was build (together with all options, color, tires, etc etc)

So for me the search for the story about the M79/80 engine keeps on going and who knows more about this, please shine a light

But for now we can conclude that if the engine number from a 996 GT3 RS is a type M96/79-340, it does not mean, it is not an original RS

:-)

Last edited by Q&A; 02-18-2021 at 05:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Patrick3000 (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 07:48 PM
Astrix
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Q&A
late but relevant continuation of this thread.

The engine codes for the 996 GT3 RS =

M96/79-634 xxx xx

I have seen this recently on several cars as i am about to buy one and in doing so, take my research very serious.

The interesting and curious thing is, that engine code M79/80-634 is also mentioned in this thread before, and also in the book of Jürgen Barth.
So one would assume that only that type of engine number is correct but the contrary is true.

I have seen already 3 examples of 996 GT3 RS, where the engine was a type M96/79-634
These have been verified by the date label sticker under the hood, and in the service book, but also by cross checking this with Porsche's original Build Sheet.
This info can be acquired through the dealer network and will tell you the engine and gearbox number when the car was build (together with all options, color, tires, etc etc)

So for me the search for the story about the M79/80 engine keeps on going and who knows more about this, please shine a light

But for now we can conclude that if the engine number from a 996 GT3 RS is a type M96/79-340, it does not mean, it is not an original RS

:-)

I am not sure if this helps you? But I have been doing research on the earliest 996 GT3 RS VIN's and it seemed that all those 2003 built cars were for C16 delivery... I have on of the first few cars that was built in November 2003

The engine number on my one is M9679/63426603

The provenance on my car is flawless from day 1 (full credit to the previous owners) so we know it's the original motor, I am wondering if the difference is due to timing of the builds? To help correlate that data, what build dates do the cars you have looked at carry with the M96/79634 engine number prefix?

In that recent 992 teaser with AP & Chris Harris, AP did mention something about the first 200 cars getting a few more horses in the paddock, perhaps they started with different core units?... for what it is worth we have put my one on a chassis dyno and it is up 20+ HP from a stock GT3 (on that same dyno of course) my car is 100% bone stock.

Quick Reply: 996 GT3 RS Imported to the USA