Sponsored by:

long crank time till start

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 05:54 PM
knorrena
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default long crank time till start

Last year (about 1100kms ago) I had a fuel pump failure. I discovered it on an autocross day where the car would die in long left hand sweepers. The pump housing was cracked in many places, and the pump itself was able to move about with a little bit of force.

The new pump install was easy - a 2 banana job. I dont have the same pump as most of you. Mine doesnt have the rubber hoses that often fail. I dont think I can install that pump either because the tank part numbers are different after 94, and I assume the mounting points inside the tank are different.

Just lately, the car takes some time, say 6-8 seconds to start. Sometimes it takes two attempts, mostly because I dont want to ruin my starter. It cranks nicely and has a brand new agm battery. Previously it might have turned over twice to start.

I checked the fuel pressure and there was 5lbs after sitting overnight. With the key in the run position, the pump actuates and brings the pressure up to 55lbs, on first try, then 40lbs on the second, nd 30 on the third. When started the pressure hits 55lbs, but it struggles to get there because the car has trouble starting. On starting the car is quite lumpy and takes a few moments to settle down. Once started, it holds 55lbs no problem. The fuel pressure drops quite quickly when the car is shut down. ~5lbs per seconds at first then slows to about 5 lbs per 10 seconds.

As far as I can tell, I have three possible causes: 1) The pump or check valve has failed; 2) the started switch is preventing the pump from operating, but I can hear it and it obviously works at some point because the car does start; 3) the fuel pressure regulator has failed and is draining fuel into the vacuum system.

I spent the last four days reading posts that might be related on three different forums, but nothing popped out likes dogs ***** to say that it!

Does anyone have any advice?

Old 08-18-2018, 10:32 PM
cs81
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my 6-3 and thought it was normal. Buddy has one with same thing. Interesting to know that this wasn't the "norm" in the past.

<subscribed>

Quick Reply: long crank time till start