Sponsored by:

996 GT3-RS Top wing / Spoiler on 996 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 10:53 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
How does one know a RS wing is original? Is there a part number, some Porsche markings?
If you remove the end plates there is a parts sticker on the inside of both the wing and end plates.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:04 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Invaluable info

Originally Posted by Cemoto
If you remove the end plates there is a parts sticker on the inside of both the wing and end plates.

Been looking for this info for quite a while, who knew? RL Cemoto did! Appreciate it.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:05 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts

My final (Really!!! I) post on the topic.

Now this is a wing...need some front end aero to balance it....
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...l#&gid=1&pid=1
Old 09-23-2018, 07:48 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Been looking for this info for quite a while, who knew? RL Cemoto did! Appreciate it.
No problem.

BTW, the end plates do not have a part number just marked left and right.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:34 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

Well I spoke too soon on the finish of the Getty wing. I had looked at it in the bench top under my LED shop lights but once I got it on the car and in the sun it's evident there are several imperfections. Hazing on the leading edge and one area of white scratches. The trailing edge has some knicks across the entire length. It's not too bad overall for track use but far from show quality. The end plates are black primered so definitely need to be painted. I think I'm going to paint the end plates then just run it as is for the rest of the season, then decide what to do with it this winter. I'm wondering if my detailer can polish it.
Attached Images       
Old 09-23-2018, 09:30 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 202 Posts

^^^ I had an RS replica wing made locally in Aus that had hazing marks like that from new. I had it wrapped in PPF rather than clear coating as it gave the same desired effect but offered better durability. Look at those big imperfections on your wing though, I think it would require wet sanding first.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:08 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Well I spoke too soon on the finish of the Getty wing. I had looked at it in the bench top under my LED shop lights but once I got it on the car and in the sun it's evident there are several imperfections. Hazing on the leading edge and one area of white scratches. The trailing edge has some knicks across the entire length. It's not too bad overall for track use but far from show quality. The end plates are black primered so definitely need to be painted. I think I'm going to paint the end plates then just run it as is for the rest of the season, then decide what to do with it this winter. I'm wondering if my detailer can polish it.
I run the same wing, had it wrapped inn black on the front and bottom side. Left the top the way it came from Getty. I run different end plates that are larger and thinner. Will have those wrapped as well.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:26 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Getty also sells the carbon fiber end plates.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:33 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuisGT3
Getty also sells the carbon fiber end plates.
Yes they do. Given the finish on the wing I would be worried about the end plates...the wing is easy to deal with since it's pretty much flat. The end plates with all their curves and grooves I think would have hard to finish off nicely if you want the carbon look. Prep and paint but that would hide the carbon fiber look.

Last edited by Nickshu; 09-24-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:37 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spiller
^^^ I had an RS replica wing made locally in Aus that had hazing marks like that from new. I had it wrapped in PPF rather than clear coating as it gave the same desired effect but offered better durability. Look at those big imperfections on your wing though, I think it would require wet sanding first.
Thanks for the advice. I took the Getty wing to my detailer's shop today. They are going to wet sand and polish it, then wrap it in clearmask (PPF). My detailer says based on his experience it's hard to keep CF outer epoxy surfaces from getting scratched. He agreed that once it's polished shiny it will scratch very easily, even if we coat it or wax it, so going with the clearmask on it will hide any residual hazing and will keep it looking good during my track use.

Also I sanded the end plates down today and am currently painting them satin black with Eastwood Chassis Black (I have a bunch of it around left over from another project - Very durable and hard epoxy based paint). I did a test patch first with this spray paint and it looked good.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:46 PM
blarghsid
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Burger
Someone should order the Scopioneusa.com wing to let us know how good/bad it is. lol

Scopione Wing

I emailed them Jul 19th for some more information, they replied Aug 16th (yikes) with:

We are very sorry, but these parts can only be made to order, and will take about 5 months to ship to you.
Also, that wasn't even my question -- I was asking about whether it comes with the mounts to attach to the tailbase.

I'm definitely not risking it lol

Has anyone bought the Revozport one? At least Revozport I've heard of before.
Part Number: P 996 2 GT3 C300
http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/...DE5Mg==/?ref=1
Old 09-28-2018, 05:17 PM
Burger
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blarghsid
I emailed them Jul 19th for some more information, they replied Aug 16th (yikes) with:

Also, that wasn't even my question -- I was asking about whether it comes with the mounts to attach to the tailbase.

I'm definitely not risking it lol
Must be a premium product if it takes that long to make!
Old 10-02-2018, 06:43 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

So Manthey stopped selling their version? I can't even find their online catalog anymore for the old 996 platform.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:15 PM
LaSource
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Pic for thread decoration

Name:  0RjIPVz.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  254.4 KB
Old 10-14-2018, 10:24 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

Yup, Manthey had issues with their supplier, told directly no plans to re-introduce.

As for Getty, the quality is actually VG - they state clearly it needs finishing and tell you how to do it.

It needs multiple clear coats, and ideally a filled trim strip to fill any imperfections on the leading edges.

I am very happy with my (finished) Getty wing. It's I'd say a solid 8.5 on 10 (and I am fussy).

M

Quick Reply: 996 GT3-RS Top wing / Spoiler on 996 GT3