New Tow Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 09:05 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Joke?

Originally Posted by 177mph
Martin- the question was a joke. You have already posted Three times on this thread that you plan to use 91 octane for towing. You must obviously spend lots of time thinking about octane levels.
I do spend 91% of my time thinking about 91 Octane. If we had 93 Octane in cali, then.....
Old 08-15-2018, 12:51 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Mileage

Road trip, 18.6 mpg in the Beast...300 mile road trip❤️
Old 09-10-2018, 02:19 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Towing update...did my first long tow today with the GT3 in the back of my 20" ATC trailer. Used a Reese weight transfer hitch, recommend by Lincoln when towing over 6,000 Lbs...up to 9,000. The Good news, the car has an optional trailer tow mode. It provides downshifts when slowing down, kind of handy. Cruise control holds the set speed downhill with no driver input needed. Car felt steady at all times....never exceeded 60 mph. Plenty of power when needed, regardless of the paragraph below.

The Bad News,,,,about 8 mpg on 91 Octane. This was mileage over the hilliest terrain. I think 10 mpg is possible on more level ground. Also,at one point, I was towing up a real long grade, on a 95 degree day, in the south bound "Grape Vine" area of CA Interstate 5. About 1/2 way up the hill, I get a dash board message the engine was going to reduced power to prevent overheating. The main effect, the air conditioner seemed to NOT be blowing cold air for a few minutes...the power was more that adequate to maintain 60 mph. Transmission oil temperature never exceed 215 degrees F. Engine oil and coolant were normal...well at least they didn't throw a warning.

Overall, the 2017 Lincoln Navigator Reserve with "L" option, appears to be a great tow vehicle.....and with the "L" stretch version, plenty of room, and an awesome sound system. The Cruise control is operator friendly, very easy to resume the cruise speed after breaking...just hit resume and away you go. I never drove the Cadillac Escalade of the Surbuban, or Denali. They could be better, or perhaps worse.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:53 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Towing update...did my first long tow today with the GT3 in the back of my 20" ATC trailer. Used a Reese weight transfer hitch, recommend by Lincoln when towing over 6,000 Lbs...up to 9,000. The Good news, the car has an optional trailer tow mode. It provides downshifts when slowing down, kind of handy. Cruise control holds the set speed downhill with no driver input needed. Car felt steady at all times....never exceeded 60 mph. Plenty of power when needed, regardless of the paragraph below.

The Bad News,,,,about 8 mpg on 91 Octane. This was mileage over the hilliest terrain. I think 10 mpg is possible on more level ground. Also,at one point, I was towing up a real long grade, on a 95 degree day, in the south bound "Grape Vine" area of CA Interstate 5. About 1/2 way up the hill, I get a dash board message the engine was going to reduced power to prevent overheating. The main effect, the air conditioner seemed to NOT be blowing cold air for a few minutes...the power was more that adequate to maintain 60 mph. Transmission oil temperature never exceed 215 degrees F. Engine oil and coolant were normal...well at least they didn't throw a warning.

Overall, the 2017 Lincoln Navigator Reserve with "L" option, appears to be a great tow vehicle.....and with the "L" stretch version, plenty of room, and an awesome sound system. The Cruise control is operator friendly, very easy to resume the cruise speed after breaking...just hit resume and away you go. I never drove the Cadillac Escalade of the Surbuban, or Denali. They could be better, or perhaps worse.
I have a 2017 Yukon XL Denali so my opinion is biased but and I am going to guess its better. 6.2 V8, Magnetic ride control, auto-leveling rear suspension, solid rear axle, factory integrated trailer brake controller, etc.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:20 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RossP
I have a 2017 Yukon XL Denali so my opinion is biased but and I am going to guess its better. 6.2 V8, Magnetic ride control, auto-leveling rear suspension, solid rear axle, factory integrated trailer brake controller, etc.
460 Ft Lbs of torque is nice, the car has self leveling suspension, IRS too, but I did have to add a brake controller. I'd have to drive the Denali XL to assess if its better, it may be....the Lincoln has an adaptive steering when in the tow haul mode. It enables the car to require less steering input at slow speeds and when parking, and fine tunes the steering at high speeds to keep everything stable..it smooths out driver input. It also has anti sway built in, electronic anti-yaw for lack of a better term.

Last thing, in the Trailer Haul mode, on deceleration, you get automatic down shifts..right down to 1st gear.

Last edited by Martin S.; 09-10-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:58 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

2015 GMC Sierra Denali - never missed a beat towing all over the country. Trailer brake controller built in, Anti-sway built in, trailer tow mode handles downshifts and senses downhills. 12mpg with a 22 foot ATC. That reduced power message would worry me a little.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:12 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

"That reduced power message would worry me a little." It worries me too...I am going to dig into what caused it. I have an appointment today*** at the local Lincoln dealer. We'll see how that goes. I hope it is a simple fix....if they stone wall me........I'll have to make some tough decisions.

***They moved me to 9/13/18, the Tech person who booked the appt. was very helpful. She thinks that something is definitely amiss. If they find the problem, and can fix it, I'll keep the Lincoln. If not, I am selling it/trading its in....probably on a Denali or Suburban.

If I decide to sell the car, I'll have a giant crow to eat, but it won't be the first time.

Last edited by Martin S.; 09-12-2018 at 01:48 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:11 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Is this motor a new/different from Ford's 3.6TT. Just found out that the Ford 3.6TT in raptors and trucks is a dual port injection so no carbon intake in valves. Toyota's V8s are also dual injection motors which should be reliable power plants.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:26 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

How you consider this vehicle a "great" tow vehicle based on the above is beyond me. A GREAT tow vehicle passes people going 60 uphill, doesn't shut of AC unless under full throttle and you can forget you're towing the extra weight because of the torque.
I've been thinking a few times of buying a tow vehicle and appreciate you eliminating the Navigator.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:24 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

If the Reduced Power dilemma is addressed by Lincoln, and it is discovered it is a sensor error, then the Navigator will keep its place in the driveway. If it is not successfully resolved, it will be sold and replaced with a GMC Denali, or Chevy SUV.

The Lincoln is in for "surgery" today. I should have the diagnosis this afternoon....Witt Lincoln in San Diego, incredible service, sent me home in an Uber car at their expense, and will deliver the car to my home this afternoon. Now that is service. I will have an opportunity to talk to the service tech re the diagnosis and remedy.

BTW, the net effect of the Reduced Power mode, shutting off the air conditioner for about 10 minutes....I felt no loss in power.

Last edited by Martin S.; 09-13-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:09 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Dealer called me back...discovered to codes in the ECU, one bing over heating. If there is not a simple fix, I asm calling "John Wilkes Booth" to take this bitch out. Clear the codes and put it on the block.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:56 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 112 Posts

this is a great thread love it
Old 09-14-2018, 06:19 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Dealer called me back...discovered to codes in the ECU, one bing over heating. If there is not a simple fix, I asm calling "John Wilkes Booth" to take this bitch out. Clear the codes and put it on the block.
The "simple fix" might be to buy another tow vehicle....
Old 09-14-2018, 10:12 PM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

I know on the Expedition you need to order the tow package to get the cooling, etc. needed for serious towing. Same for the Lincoln? Does yours have it?
Old 09-18-2018, 12:11 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Finale

Originally Posted by m3bs
I know on the Expedition you need to order the tow package to get the cooling, etc. needed for serious towing. Same for the Lincoln? Does yours have it?
The Lincoln did come with the towing package to include exterior transmission and engine oil cooler..was running on 91 Octane recommended for towing, and was in the "Tow Mode".

Got the Bad News....the reason for the over-heating, blown head gasket, my local Lincoln dealer Witt Lincoln, San Diego, they will replace both head gaskets, one due to a failure, and the other precautionary, under warranty. Once it's fixed, I'll probably sell it, trade it and get a Suburban or a Denali. I can't live with a vehicle that overheats and displays no warning, a vehicle whose coolant gauge never indicated anything but normal.

So pass over that CROW. Yummm..

Quick Reply: New Tow Vehicle