Sponsored by:

Suspension adjustment wrenches

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 02:29 PM
blarghsid
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension adjustment wrenches

I need to raise up my suspension -- I'm out in SF and the set up from the previous owner is borderline undriveable in the city. Where can I get a set of suspension adjustment wrenches for the OEM suspension??
Old 07-11-2018, 03:01 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

You can buy a spanner wrench at any automotive store or Amazon
Amazon Amazon

However, they are useless. My tip is too:
Use a cleaning product like WD40, and a rag and clean threads really good. Take a small mallet and a blunt chisel and loosen lock ring. Once loose with clean threads, easy to turn up and down. Mark everything and count threads/turns, then you know car is still balanced per previous set up.
After adjusting, tighten using the hammer and the chisel. I also put one or two dabs of locktite on the shock threads just before tight. On the driver side, make sure the swaybar link is vertical, if it is leaning forward after last adjustment and if your lock ring is no solid tight, after some driving and cornering, it could loosen. Passenger side is not as important as threads are opposite.

If you plan to remove shocks from car, always loosen everything before removing shocks from car, much easier.

https://world.ohlins.com/app/uploads...I_POSMI101.pdf

Here are Ohlins instructions, easy to follow.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:01 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

^good advise
Old 07-11-2018, 10:44 PM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I used a Williams 474 spanner with a length of jack handle in lieu of the Ohlins supplied wrench to disassemble my stock units. I did wire brush the threads first and apply PB Blaster overnight.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:00 PM
blarghsid
Cruisin'

Thanks for the replies everyone, will take your advice into account. StephenB -- thanks for the photo, I got some Seafoam Deepcreep so I'll make sure to hit it with that before I mess with it.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:34 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

after you lube the threads hose them down completely and lube again. a single piece of dirt can strip the threads and cause a night mare
Old 07-13-2018, 02:33 PM
black04
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default The problem isn't your ride-height is it?

Originally Posted by blarghsid
I need to raise up my suspension -- I'm out in SF and the set up from the previous owner is borderline undriveable in the city. Where can I get a set of suspension adjustment wrenches for the OEM suspension??
Changing ride height might help a very small amount when going in and out of driveways and such. But these cars are borderline undriveable in the city because of the stiff suspension.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:26 PM
blarghsid
Cruisin'

I can handle stiff suspension, I'm used to that already. I just can't handle obliterating the front lip on my annoying driveway all the time. This is just to hold me off until I buy KW HLS for the car, lol

Don't worry, I knew what I was getting into when I bought the car. I just want to avoid damage to the thing, aching back is something I can live with
Old 07-14-2018, 11:21 PM
black04
Racer

I can handle stiff suspension, I'm used to that already. I just can't handle obliterating the front lip on my annoying driveway all the time. This is just to hold me off until I buy KW HLS for the car, lol

Don't worry, I knew what I was getting into when I bought the car. I just want to avoid damage to the thing, aching back is something I can live with
Be advised because of the trigonometry of the situation, a 10mm increase in ride height may only give you an additional 1mm of front end clearance. So it may not be worth the effort.

My problem with front lip clearance was solved by the previous owner. I recently was informed on this forum that my front lip was missing. 13 years and I never missed it.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:55 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

Front lips on GT3s should be considered consumable items. As long as you are not constantly ripping it clean off ~$300 annually, or bi-annually for a new lip (Cup lip) is pretty reasonable IMO.

There are also products like this out there:
https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...xoC_T8QAvD_BwE

Old 07-20-2018, 03:10 PM
black04
Racer

Default 2x4 lumber for driveway swale

Originally Posted by RossP
Front lips on GT3s should be considered consumable items. As long as you are not constantly ripping it clean off ~$300 annually, or bi-annually for a new lip (Cup lip) is pretty reasonable IMO.

There are also products like this out there:
https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...xoC_T8QAvD_BwE
Or just 2x4 lumber. All you need are two 1 foot pieces. SERIOUSLY

Ride height adjustment is not the answer. Your car is likely not set up incorrectly and trying to adjust the ride height without corner balancing will do more harm than good.

I have the same problem as you with my driveway.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:26 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts

My car was lower than stock ride height. I took it to Suspension Specialties in Torrance, a division of Johnson's Alignment, and had it raised to stock, corner balanced and aligned. It took about 4 hours of labor...problems have been less noticeable since the chore was done.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:42 PM
blarghsid
Cruisin'

Thanks everyone for their input -- I'm taking the car over to Trackspec out in Fremont, CA to get professionals working on it.

Quick Reply: Suspension adjustment wrenches