996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of Getty Cup wing on 996 GT3?

Old 06-28-2018, 11:52 AM
Rceron
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics of Getty Cup wing on 996 GT3?

I have been reading all the old threads on wings. At this point the price on an RS wing doesn't make sense. A shop I worked with in the past stated that the CUP wing from Getty is much more effective in any case. However, it's not the best looking set up. This is a minor point as my car is a track only car. Pictures on Getty website suck. Can people post pictures of their replica CUP wing set ups.

thanks,
Ramon
Old 06-28-2018, 12:35 PM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I installed the Getty 996 deck lid (configured for the GT3 engine) and wing (it's a Cup wing), with taller uprights from Demon Speed.
I went this route to open up rear vision which was restricted by the RSS931 half cage and stock wing.
I'll try to take pics after the rain stops tonight.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:24 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Like this?
Old 06-28-2018, 03:17 PM
Rceron
Racer

Dave-c2 and 177mph, are you guys satisfied with fiber glass versions? Any downsides to all this? Please keep posting pics. thx.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:22 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

No real issues for me. Not as good as the factory but certainly cheaper. My car came with it from the PO, I just had the hardware updated.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:30 PM
Rceron
Racer

Originally Posted by dave-C2
I installed the Getty 996 deck lid (configured for the GT3 engine) and wing (it's a Cup wing), with taller uprights from Demon Speed.
I went this route to open up rear vision which was restricted by the RSS931 half cage and stock wing.
I'll try to take pics after the rain stops tonight.
You combined the Getty wing and decklid with the uprights below? Looking forward to the pics.
Demon Speed Upright

thanks,
R
Old 06-28-2018, 06:35 PM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I think Getty has very good quality compared to most other aftermarket suppliers. My body shop didn't complain about the Getty pieces and the results look fine for me, but I'm hardly the concours type.
The deck lid has the optional ram scoop that may help with induction.
Sorry the car needs cleaning.

Old 06-29-2018, 04:09 PM
Rceron
Racer

Thanks for the photos Dave - C2. Very helpful.
R
Old 06-29-2018, 04:55 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Talking

[QUOTE=Rceron;15108787]I Racer Ron writes, "that the CUP wing from Getty is much more effective...."?

Which SPECIFIC Getty Cup Wing do you refer to Racer Ron? Apparently the Demon uprights are the way to go...just wondering what the uprights attach to, the rear deck lid? That's how it was done on my 993 with a Mirage International wing.

The Getty RS As we know, is too low to get the clean air. Seem like a poseur wing to me. And bloody expensive at that.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:11 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

[QUOTE=Martin S.;15111734]
Originally Posted by Rceron
I Racer Ron writes, "that the CUP wing from Getty is much more effective...."?

The Getty RS As we know, is too low to get the clean air. Seem like a poseur wing to me. And bloody expensive at that.
Hi Martin, just curious, isn't the Getty RS a very close copy of the RS OE part, reusing the same shim options, etc.? Never thought of it as a poseur piece, but maybe you know more than I do.

I seem to remember it driving a fair but more downforce than the stock spoiler, keeping in mind that whatever you do to the rear, you need to consider in relation to the front. And it's fair to say, on a street car, one looks a lot less "look at me" than the other.

Cheers

Matt
Old 06-29-2018, 10:03 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Martin S.;15111734]
Originally Posted by Rceron
I Racer Ron writes, "that the CUP wing from Getty is much more effective...."?

Which SPECIFIC Getty Cup Wing do you refer to Racer Ron? Apparently the Demon uprights are the way to go...just wondering what the uprights attach to, the rear deck lid? That's how it was done on my 993 with a Mirage International wing.

Martin- can you share the data on the RS wing being too low to get clean air? i wasnt aware
Old 06-29-2018, 10:55 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

The RS wing from Getty is a direct replacement of the Factory 6GT3 wing. It has greater surface area and end plates. It too will take the 4 degree and 8 degree wedges for increased wing angle. That's all good, but look at any racing 996 Cup Car, where is the wing? Up high and wide...55" to 60" wide, also with end plates. Also note, no wedges, they can be adjusted, at least 9 different angle options on the big wing I had on my 993, don't see why the racing 996 wing would be any less.

The GT3 RS wing is lovely, beautiful, but it's somewhat narrow width, and the height of the wing, on stock uprights, in comparison to that of a 996, 997 and 991 race car, is too low, out of the clean air, IMHO of course, with only two down angle adjustments. That is the source of my poseur comment...I have the stock wing on my car, and when it is time to change, I'll go to taller uprights and an adjustable wing as seen on the GT3 Cup Car.

Lastly, the Getty replacement for the stock 993 wing, is very expensive compared to other alternatives. And agreed, put a big wing on the back, better increase the aero on the front (down force) or you experience some ugly un understeer.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:05 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

I believe that the higher the spoiler, the more unobstructed air and effect.

I guess the question is how much incremental downforce gets generated, what's the Cd, and relatively speaking, what are the dimensions in play v. the smaller RS alternative.

I suspect this equation will yield, for the recreational driver, get more practice! Seriously.

Cheers

Matt
Old 06-29-2018, 11:13 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Hi Martin, I think you summed it up well (before my I could submit my post above).

Still would be interested in definitive downforce figures (relative to Cd, and normalized for the increased width and for attack angle).

All good. Still think that even in stock form, most GT3's are being driven at a fraction of their actual capability. Honestly, a lot of this is academic.

Cheers

Matt
Old 06-30-2018, 11:52 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Good words...

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Hi Martin, I think you summed it up well (before my I could submit my post above).

Still would be interested in definitive downforce figures (relative to Cd, and normalized for the increased width and for attack angle).

All good. Still think that even in stock form, most GT3's are being driven at a fraction of their actual capability. Honestly, a lot of this is academic.

Cheers

Matt
Well written...and aloo agree with the post below, the Getty GT3 wing is nowhere as sleek as the GT3 RS wing, but it may just work better...I know that the 60" wing Getty style wing on my 993 (From Mirage International) with GT2 front aero, clipped 3 to 4 seconds off my former personal best at (Willow Springs Raceway), from a 1:37 to a 1:33.2, almost a 1:32. . I may have seen a 1:37 on the GT3 earlier this year....I am just too intimidated by the power to push it, and very afraid of an off course excursion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pics of Getty Cup wing on 996 GT3?