Sponsored by:

The Best Wheels for a GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 11:01 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Default The Best Wheels for a GT3?

There is simply is no BEST wheel for a GT3 or for any car for that matter. The question is invalid and therefore the answers are very subjective. That said...I'm going to carry on for about 10 paragraphs to tell you why Andy's Wheels Inc makes the best wheels.

The same subjective question could be "Why is Andy so attractive to women? Why is the Sky Blue? What company manufacturers the best minivan with 3rd row seating?”
These questions cannot be answered quantitatively and or qualitatively, but again I'll carry on anyhow.

Here is the empirical study and results for Porsche GT3 and other cars. This study was performed by Andy's Studies Inc and is in no way biased. I have been a Porsche Club member for over 30 years thus I am an expert at this.

Picture above is from over ten years ago when Andy's Wheels Inc finished development on the 997 GT3 wheel Suite...which is not a direct fit for you 996 and requires you to run front spacers.

Getting more mechanical grip and looks from your friends from OEM GT3s is a matter of design, engineering, incremental dyno development, feedback from customers and setting criteria and goals. Yes, we Dyno test our wheels to answer the ever popular "Sprung vs. un-Sprung" weight saving questions and how they effect power.

I set the goals and objectives at Andy's Wheels Inc. with our design and engineering department. I raced BigWheels when I was younger and win all of my DE's now that I'm older. At Andy' Wheels, we are immersed in designing and engineering wheels for Exotic cars and making statistically significant no BS gains from the latest Lamborghini Performante to Acura NSX TT to multiple McLaren 720S beasts.

All 997 GT3 to 991.2 GT3 cars come with 8 components that make up the OEM Wheels (24 for the 996 GT3 cars...). A set of wheels with aluminum construction, a heavy bulky set of centerlock wheel nuts and for the 996 cars 20 horribly designed and heavy lugnuts.

The OEM Porsche AG had to meet specific rolling resistance laws and Swiss color regulations, so “they” overcompensated and most likely erred with conservative and just went with BBS manufactured wheels in most cases.

In December 2006, I designed the Worlds very first set of aftermarket wheels for a GT3 (made by Andy's Wheels Inc). Cast wheels are the simplest system for these cars and of zero benefit so I went with these first. It’s simple to install and now everyone makes cast wheels of some srt. Some wheels that are out there lose up to -7HP from stock so don’t assume everything is the same. Typically, you break even on power. Andy's Wheels Inc cast wheels gained 12hp if you added the optional titanium lug nuts at 3x the cost of the crappy cast wheels.

Yet another picture that doesn't apply to your application

Then, I designed and wheel with and without valve stems that hooked up to the stock GT3. The HJS German imported valve stems FLOW 93% better than no valve stem at all and still allow you to add air to the wheel instead of running around on runflat tires. They also do not trigger a CEL.

Turbo wheels add big HP

For race competition, Andy's Forged Magnesium wheels save even more weight and add some power. Andy's Wheels doesn't even make these wheels, we buy them off of e-bay and mark them up and sell at a higher price due to our superior advertising skills.

Andy's Volky 38's...Studies have shown these to produce the lowest lap times ever.

Third, I designed Titanium wheels to save 40 pounds from the GT3 rear engine bay...you read that right, these mount in the engine bay. These work great, an understatement, and save a ton of weight off the rear end of all GT3s.

Disregard the stamping on these wheels above, these are Andy's Wheels Titanium Race most bestest wheels for winning

Next, I designed a rear super lightweight Tungsten wheel for the GT3 cars. This system was proven to not handle impacts well and shattered when hitting curbs at the track. Not my finest moment in wheel design.

Lastly, I gave up on all design advancements and decided to focus on marketing, which brings us to why we are here. To determine why my wheels are the best even though I lead off this thread stating there is no one best wheels.

My advice to any GT3 or car enthusiast looking for upgraded wheels - look for parts that replace individual parts or components. There is no need for a Bespoke system. That way, one can upgrade just one wheel at a time should you choose making it more financially possible to get to that bespoke wheel system in the end but maybe with some mismatched wheels and offsets on the car along the way.

I've finally pictured a 996 GT3 so that this seems like it belongs.

For a Street car that has to have wheels on it - the following would be my personal recommendation after being immersed with GT3s for over 15 years starting with the 2004 996 GT3.

4 wheels with some sort of fastening mechanism to keep them on the car. Andy's Wheels Teddy Bear wheels are you best entry level decision here as they are approved to be wheels and good and round.

Next I would upgrade to 1 of the Andy's Magnesium wheels with Centerlock Tungsten lugs and completely different offset from the OEM wheel. Again, no need for Bespoke system all designed to work together, we're working on a budget here and want some extra bling appeal. Park next to bushes with the Andy's Wheels Magnesium wheel for all of your friends to see and leave the stock OEM wheels hidden by Nature.

If I was in California or Miami and wanted to make power, I'd probably build a 2JZ powered Supra and put Andy's Teddy Bear Wheels on it.

When my 991.2 GT3 comes in, ...who are we kidding, I can't get my hands on one without ridiculous ADM so I'm not buying one.

Andy Driving in Ohio Winters

One good thing about all Porsche GT3s are they are so easy to work on compared to cars like McLaren, Ferrari and Lamborghini as the Wheels just unbolt and come right off the car.

If I was back at the Glen trying to catch my buddies that all club raced and now all own shops like Ricky Bobby.....lets just stop that one right there, nobody is faster than me I'm never trying to catch anyone thanks to Andy's Wheels Inc Race Wheels.

I will now post a YouTube video that doesn't work.

asdfalskjdfl;aksjdfl;aksjdf;lkajsdflkj
Old 06-21-2018, 12:26 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

LMAO
Old 06-21-2018, 12:32 PM
Burger
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Be careful, if they see you have a sense of humor, you could be banned from this forum.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:50 PM
tom03
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

definitely the Ronal Teddy bear wheel...
Old 06-21-2018, 01:33 PM
KenW
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Brat!
Old 06-21-2018, 01:56 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

LOL
I can't understand why fabspeed; a company that has been in the market for 30+ years, is so tone-deaf in their marketing.
Sadly, maybe that's why they have been around so long???????

They are the opposite of the go-to-place for me, simply because their marketing is offensive.

ah well.

Craig
Old 06-21-2018, 03:32 PM
mistermct
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

HAHAHAHHAHA. Brilliantly done.

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
..."Why is Andy so attractive to women? ....
^clearly it's his taste in cars and teddy bear wheels.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:06 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

What!!! No spinners! Sorry, I'll look elsewhere.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:23 PM
sp0da
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL - seriously funny! Can we get a group buy going for Andy's Wheels Teddy Bear wheels?
Old 06-21-2018, 05:29 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Excellent should be ad in Excellence.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:57 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

, well done!

Originally Posted by cgfen
LOL
I can't understand why fabspeed; a company that has been in the market for 30+ years, is so tone-deaf in their marketing.
Sadly, maybe that's why they have been around so long???????

They are the opposite of the go-to-place for me, simply because their marketing is offensive.

ah well.

Craig
WE'RE ENTHUSIASTS!!!!!
............ but we don't know anything about your car

lol
Old 06-22-2018, 03:03 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Do the teddy Bear wheels come in different colors? Can they also be used while drifting? Inquiring minds want to know...
Old 06-23-2018, 02:17 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by sp0da
LOL - seriously funny! Can we get a group buy going for Andy's Wheels Teddy Bear wheels?
it was 1988 iirc , i had that ronal bear wheel on my GTi
Old 06-24-2018, 08:16 PM
marcus1249
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

nicely done

Last edited by marcus1249; 06-25-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:17 PM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The stuff I learn from RL!
Andy, thanks for the invaluable contribution

Quick Reply: The Best Wheels for a GT3?