Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10 years of 996 GT3 ownership

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 01:28 PM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Just past 5 Years. Bought from best friend who bought it new. Car's was bought and lived it's life here in Barrington. Were always working on a few Porsches.

PCA ROAD AMERICA starts tomorrow!
Old 05-24-2018, 02:14 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

1500 miles on tires sounds like wrong alignment.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:25 PM
KenW
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks! I didn't mean to rock this great thread but I need to buy Now. I can't explain the quickly worn PS2s, maybe at that time there was an alignment problem but that's not what I recall.
The R compound Continental Conti Force Contact XLs I have on now for a total of 7,000 km ~4,340 miles with the rears replaced 4900 km ~3038 miles ago are finished in under 7,000 km but, I did use them on track on rare occasions in the wet and much less than that in the dry. Entertaining tires, not bad, but no longer available. I'm due for another track alignment "check" but the car is handling very well as it is now set up.
So, sincere thanks again.
You want to smile at the absurdity of this situation? My tires supplier is suggesting that I buy Pirelli P Zeros ....
Old 05-24-2018, 06:33 PM
JJT
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2..... The best
Old 05-24-2018, 06:39 PM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Sounds like too much rear toe! Couple of years ago I found the thrust arm bushing was shot, but looked and felt good when the car was static. This was how it presented itself with new Nt01's. You can see it rotated so far under load the wheel hit the thrust arm and the wheel arch where it shaved the tire pretty significant. Complete 4 corner suspension refresh after this!
Old 05-24-2018, 06:43 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by vtgt
^sounds like I need to see the “force” lol. Can’t wait to ride in yours! I assume he was stock but that’s still pretty damn impressive for old fun NA tech who needs turbos and artificial sounds, seems a little numbing
Yup, lets do lunch next week (out of town for memorial day weekend but will be back Tuesday). You declined to drive the SC with its "quirky" 915, but I won't let you refuse the driver's seat this time!

I think you will like this car. I will say, however, that sometimes its not love at first drive with these things, particularly if you are coming from a big displacement/turbo car, as it does not have the monster, down low torque that is typical in today's vettes, mustangs, and turbo cars. But, and this is a big but, nothing, and I mean nothing, compares to the pull above 5k rpm. It is unlike any other non-gt car I have ever driven. It just doesn't stop pulling once you hit that magic 5k rpm zone. It doesn't run out of breath, fall on it face, or even slow down. It just continues to accelerate and pull until you put in the clutch to shift at 8k, which is literally spine tingling when you experience it. Below 3k rpm, however, it can be a bit sedate, which is why you drive these things a little differently, and why you sometimes hear folks say that 996 gt3's are not great "street" cars (i.e., you kind of have to wring it out to really get the best out of it). But when you do push it, its definitely rewarding. That's what I love about these things, and the fact that they are freaking bullet proof and relatively uncommon, and of course the uncomparable go-cart like handling and agility. In that category, the car is also very, very special, especially with a few mods and a good alignment.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:05 PM
//steve\\
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Awesome to see so many long term owners. No major issues on any of these longer term owned cars? Did the 996 GT3 engine have the same IMS issue or is the motor different enough it's not really a thing? I think the 997.1 GT3 is my dream but the more I look at 996s the more I like it. Hoping to be a Porsche owner one day.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:47 PM
vtgt
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by //steve\\
Awesome to see so many long term owners. No major issues on any of these longer term owned cars? Did the 996 GT3 engine have the same IMS issue or is the motor different enough it's not really a thing? I think the 997.1 GT3 is my dream but the more I look at 996s the more I like it. Hoping to be a Porsche owner one day.
No, the gt3 and turbo motors had the mezger no f/i on the GT3 of course. Happy reading https://www.total911.com/technology-...mezger-engine/

agreed on yiur lower statements. If you like cool quirky that have some attitude underneath this one of those cars. I haven’t been in one fir sometime but AZ below will change that soon and probably reaffirm some things for me at least.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:56 PM
//steve\\
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by vtgt

No, the gt3 and turbo motors had the mezger no f/i on the GT3 of course. Happy reading https://www.total911.com/technology-...mezger-engine/

agreed on yiur lower statements. If you like cool quirky that have some attitude underneath this one of those cars. I haven’t been in one fir sometime but AZ below will change that soon and probably reaffirm some things for me at least.

Good to know. I know the GT3 was a NA motor, just didn't know about the IMS issue or not. These cars just speak to me. Now I just need the wallet to get into one Hopefully by the time I can afford one they haven't gone up that much more.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:16 PM
sknandigam
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

18k miles in just over one year -- short time, but not short in experiences

Bought in March '17 and drove from S FL to Amelia Island the next day for concours weekend, immediately followed by two days at VIR incl. freezing rain/sleet/snow. Great way to get acclimated! Since then I did a big left coast trip along with a buddy's 997GT2, starting at Thunderhill going south to LA on CA's best backroads, then east to COTA for 2 days. Events at Sebring, Homestead, PBIR in between. Plenty of daily/weekly blasts. And just last month did the Smokies GT with a day at AMP and the best mountain passes in the Southeast.

Car had 41k miles, now 59k. Exe-tc dampers, full monoball suspension, 997 Cup headers w/o cats going into 997 center muffler, Euro buckets, Tequipment bar. Plenty of BFG Rival S tires, Motul Sport 5W50, 300V 75W140 gear oil. Wheel bearings, hubs, caliper rebuilds. Had the motor out after blowing a coolant hose at Homestead and pinned lines along with all of the 'while you're in there' bits. With my use and the previous owner (also a trackrat), gearbox needs a refresh now so looking to pull that and re-gear soon. It's been an expensive year of driving... along with my SC's 3.6 getting a split-case rebuild right now.

Between the 6GT3 and 987 Spyder the plan was to sell the Boxster, but so tough to let go. The two best driving Porsche cars for their respective uses IMO.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:19 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sknandigam

Bought in March '17 and drove from S FL to Amelia Island the next day for concours weekend, immediately followed by two days at VIR incl. freezing rain/sleet/snow. Great way to get acclimated! Since then I did a big left coast trip along with a buddy's 997GT2, starting at Thunderhill going south to LA on CA's best backroads, then east to COTA for 2 days. Events at Sebring, Homestead, PBIR in between. Plenty of daily/weekly blasts. And just last month did the Smokies GT with a day at AMP and the best mountain passes in the Southeast.

Car had 41k miles, now 59k. Exe-tc dampers, full monoball suspension, 997 Cup headers w/o cats going into 997 center muffler, Euro buckets, Tequipment bar. Plenty of BFG Rival S tires, Motul Sport 5W50, 300V 75W140 gear oil. Wheel bearings, hubs, caliper rebuilds. Had the motor out after blowing a coolant hose at Homestead and pinned lines along with all of the 'while you're in there' bits. With my use and the previous owner (also a trackrat), gearbox needs a refresh now so looking to pull that and re-gear soon. It's been an expensive year of driving... along with my SC's 3.6 getting a split-case rebuild right now.

Between the 6GT3 and 987 Spyder the plan was to sell the Boxster, but so tough to let go. The two best driving Porsche cars for their respective uses IMO.
Sup Suneal?!
Old 05-30-2018, 06:44 PM
vtgt
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by sknandigam

if you had to pick one between those two 6gt3 and 987 spyder which would it be and why? I have an idea your answer but want to hear the explanation
Old 06-01-2018, 05:03 PM
vilfredo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Almost 4 years and hopfully many more to come

The following users liked this post:
porschedog (09-21-2020)
Old 06-01-2018, 10:38 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

transmission rebuild should be billradermortorsports,net
Old 06-04-2018, 08:35 AM
vtwin996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 years

10 years this April, 29k driven all but 1500 by me. Haven’t been on track in last 3 years and toying with airbcooled car ideas. Car is so direct, just wants to go. Even air cooled hot rods drives haven’t motivated me to move.

Quick Reply: 10 years of 996 GT3 ownership