Sponsored by:

Buttonwillow Raceway

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 10:18 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Buttonwillow Raceway

Spent a few days here with NASA SoCal, @ Buttonwillow Raceway, Race Configuration CCW. Greg Greenbaum runs the TT program. He conducts a very tight event, no "idiot" driving allowed in his program. "Download" meetings after each session. You do something stupid, you get called out, and you must explain the reasons behind your move.

Four (4) wheels off and you DQ'd for that session. Car to car contact is a serious offense and is not tolerated.

BTW the 996 race cars behind me, was soon long gone....it's John Gordon's car, and BTW, for sale for $35,000. It's a beast.

Tires were Pirelli P Zero Trofeo Rs, 235 & 295, O.Z. wheels.

BTW the FedEx rig was DQ's for a serious off course excursion.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:22 PM
Gptoyz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So I assume it was the April 21/22 event. I was there on ssturday. Very scary experience for me as they combined HPde 3/4 and the rules were a little insane. The skill disparity in 3/4 was ridiculous. We had way too many drivers who had little to no track awareness
Old 04-24-2018, 06:17 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

It was the April 21/22 event. HPDE is NOT run by Greg Greenbaum. He runs TT. Great Event master.

Were I put into your position, I would complain to NASA SoCal management. Contact Ryan Flaherty, he can be reached through the web site.

If this happens in the future, move back to HPDE 2 rather than have a bad day with fast cars riding your butt. That isn't fun. It isn't safe either when you have too broad a skill level in one run group.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:17 PM
Gptoyz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
It was the April 21/22 event. HPDE is NOT run by Greg Greenbaum. He runs TT. Great Event master.

Were I put into your position, I would complain to NASA SoCal management. Contact Ryan Flaherty, he can be reached through the web site.

If this happens in the future, move back to HPDE 2 rather than have a bad day with fast cars riding your butt. That isn't fun. It isn't safe either when you have too broad a skill level in one run group.
Actually it's the reverse for me, I had not driven with NASA in a long time, mostly because of the draconian rules put forth that most of my friends didn't want to deal with like HPDE passbook. So when I signed up for the event I was looking at the skill levels as to where to place myself.

I saw that HPDE 4 required transponders, which I get, it allows you to make sure that everyone is running a similar pace so that their isn't a ridiculous delta between the fastest and slowest drivers. So I thought HPDE 4 would be really really fast but the organizers said if I am comfortable with open pacing, which I definitely am with every other organization I run with, that I should be fine in HPDE 4. This was also rendered irrelevant because HPDE 3 & 4 were combined.

Here was the crazy part:
Cars would identify skill level based on either a "4" or "3" being placed on the back window of the car.
4s can pass other 4s anywhere but use judgement - ok that's fine
Open passing on straights between 3 and 4 - ok that's also fine
3s can open pass on 4s but 4s must receive a point by on 3s

This is where the craziness starts happening. I would routinely get stuck behind a 3 and I would have to wait until they acknowledge my presence with a point by before I can pass them but I would also have a 3 behind me that must have been chomping at the bit at the ability to pass a 4 and would attempt to go under me not realizing the reason why I was moving at such a slow pace was because I had to yield to a 3 driver.

The skill level in the group was just way too varied. Tons of people in the group that had no concept where the racing line was so there was ridiculously slow. I actually came out early in session 1 because it was just too dangerous, I was wasting gas, tires and brakes with 3s just unaware people were behind them. At times my closing speed must have been in excess of 30 mph. I didn't even bother to drive in session 4 of 4 and opted instead to ride a long with one of my buddies to give him some pointers on the configuration.

My friend in his GT4 was running a 2:01 but there were probably individuals putting around at a 2:45 in this group.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:21 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Good God, who thought of that protocol? That's is simply horrible: I'd still let NASA Management know hat a cluster "F" you experienced.

Quick Reply: Buttonwillow Raceway