Sponsored by:

Battery Hold Down Strap/Trickle Charger

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 03:47 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Battery Hold Down Strap/Trickle Charger

Some Racing Organizations want a battery holds down strap. I am wondering if there is a pre-fabed battery hold down strap available? I know I had one my 993...battery is in a different location, lots of room. The battery under the hood may be a close fit. Need to measure.

Trickle Charger: When the hood is open, the trunk interior light is on...don't want this. Any way to turn it off short of removing the bulb?

Wires to the battery from the charger, suggested routings so the hood can be closed?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:23 PM
Wayne K
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some chargers have optional adopters available that you can plug into the cigarette outlet. Otherwise to kill the light look at the fuse diagram and pull the fuse for the interior lights. That will also kill the trunk light.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:45 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I trickle charge with the frunk closed. I have a battery tender and connect the permanent connectors to the battery. I use the provided quick connect to plug/unplug the charger and leave the cables connected on the terminals. And, I run the charger cables under the hood close to the windshield and close the frunk. I suspect you can run any cables that way, but the batter tender cables are pretty small and don't crimp/rub when the frunk is closed.

-td
Old 03-27-2018, 08:35 PM
Stephen Tinker
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The frunk light should go off automatically after +/- 2 hours. Removing the bulb is not difficult as an alternative....
Old 03-27-2018, 09:59 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Whenever I leave either the hood or deck lid open for a while, I use my thumb to close the latch. The car will think the lids are closed and the lights go off and you can also arm it. But, I found the best course of action is to place a rag through the loop - that way I don't forget to activate the lever/button to unlatch it before attempting to close.

Regards,

Old 03-28-2018, 02:49 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

I have the Porsche trickle charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:36 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Tinker
The frunk light should go off automatically after +/- 2 hours. Removing the bulb is not difficult as an alternative....
As stated above, the light did turn off, don't know why, and I was able to proceed with the trickle charging operation and not worry about that pesky light...now at 100%, loving it! The cigarette charger approach is interesting, would need to leave a window open a crack to thread the charging cord through, I would think.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:01 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Wires to the battery from the charger, suggested routings so the hood can be closed?

Thanks in advance.
Here's how I run my cords. No issue closing frunk or leaving it cracked (which is what I do so it's easy to disconnect the speed connector).

-td

Trickle chargers

Cord routed towards windshiled

Quick connect

Hardwired to battery

Quick Reply: Battery Hold Down Strap/Trickle Charger